1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

C&C - Naruto Shippuden - "Hero of the Hidden Leaf" [9/30]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by macattack, Oct 1, 2017.

1. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

For the last few years, it has been my pleasure making this talkback threads for Naruto Shippuden. Unfortunately my busy-ness has become such that even taking the few minutes to make these have become more difficult than its worth. So with this episode, I will be taking my leave from making these threads and I will pass the responsibility onto someone else.

This is the last episode of the Pain arc, and also finishes the controversial plot twist I mentioned from last week. This, incidentally, is also the end of what I call the "golden era" of Shippuden where the quality of the adaptation was, at least IMO, consistently good.

After this will be some fairly pointless filler that flash back to the OG era to close out this year and continue into winter (with a slow adaptation of a canon chapter going on intermediately). We won't return to canon Shippuden until early spring of next year I believe.

Til next time, stay gold. Believe it!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Official Naruto: Shippuden Talkback Thread

Opening 7: "Tōmei Datta Sekai" by Motohiro Hata
    Ending 14: "Transient Fireworks" by Supercell

You can find some of the OPs and EDs on the Toonami Digital Arsenal in high quality (seriously, they need to update this).

Last time on Naruto Shippuden:

No spoilers: No talk of future arcs, events, etc. ESPECIALLY NOW THAT BOTH THE MANGA AND ANIME ARE OVER! All spoiler talk must be taken to the anime forum or through pm! Please have respect for all new viewers or else TOBI will be coming for YOU. Believe it!

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Master Knight DH

Master Knight DH Active Member

Previously on Naruto:

Naruto: TALK NO JUTSU!
    Pain: Yes, Naruto Uzumaki, now I believe it! I will now give my life to aid you!

3. Hypeathon

Hypeathon Well-Known Member

Naruto wasn't the only one who had a heart-to-heart talk with his dad. of course Kakashi's time is up. Time to be alive again.

4. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Worse than one of those little blue crunchy things

DISNEY DEATH NO JUTSU~!

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

6. A.Magik

A.Magik Active Member

I will take over the reins. Thank you, macattack. I always liked your comments. I do hope you will continue to add to them in further talkbacks, if no longer as the initiator.

Well, it did help that Naruto reminded Nagato of the hero that he once was, the person who inspired Jiraiya's book. Plus the fact that Naruto OWNED all his Pains, confirming his potential.

7. Master Knight DH

Master Knight DH Active Member

Hey, that was my response to the Aurum Arc in Kid Icarus Uprising, as well as the final 3 DLC characters in Smash 4.

8. marklungo

marklungo Greetings from Honneamise

"Hey, Butt-head! This is freakin' me out!"
    "That's because you're a wuss, Beavis."

9. animePWNS

animePWNS Long time coming

I'm getting a Tool vibe from this video.

Naruto gets a hero's welcome.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #9 animePWNS, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  10. marklungo

"He's gotten heavier." Well, he is a growing boy.

11. Kitschensyngk

Hooray, you've saved the village! ...that will still need to be rebuilt.

12. marklungo

What's worse: That Sakura expresses her affection for Naruto by hitting him, or that this is actually a cliche in anime?

13. A.Magik

A.Magik Active Member

Episode 175 Hero of the Hidden Leaf
    Premiere Date August 26 2010
    Adapted from Naruto Chapters 426, 449-450

It’s the First!
    Nagato’s Rinne Life Rebirth revives all the dead Ninjas in the Leaf Village since the Pains attacked. Kakashi, Shizune, Frakasaku are among the resurrected (maybe Kosuke as well). This has been a controversial resolution by fans, who thought it cheapened the deaths (especially Kakashi). Well, to this writer’s viewpoint, Jiraiya is still dead, I like what happens later to Kakashi, this will not be the last time the Jitsu is used (and not in a good way), and…well…borrowed time.

Nagato dies from the Jitsu, his red hair turning white.

Konan resigns from the Akatsuki, deciding to follow Naruto.

Naruto builds a symbolic grave for Jiraiya (with two rocks symbolizing Yahiko and Nagato, and Konan’s Oragami Bouquet and Tales of the Gutsy Ninja placed before it). This tombstone will exist for years to come (I read this scene was a last-minute addition to the volume edition).

The Leaf Village welcomes Naruto to their hearts (his Kutsuyu clone kept in communication with the others, informing them and their protective charges about Naruto’s triumph over the Pains and role in the village’s resurrection). This concludes Naruto’s character phase as the village outcast. However, the end of his loneliness will happen much later.

Love, Family, and Relationships
    Before getting resurrected, Kakashi finally resolves his issues with his father Sukamo, complimenting his father with pride. This allows Sakumo to pass on into the afterlife.

It is revealed that Kakashi’s mother died young (childbirth?).

Shima freaks out over her mate’s revival.

A fatigued Naruto is caught by Kakashi, who carries him back to the ruins.

We finally get a scene of Sakura embracing Naruto in actual affection (done seriously and without a single Sasuke reference, although it doesn't escape Sakura being violent to him; two out of three ain’t bad I guess). Hinata is also grateful.

Iruka weeps for Naruto getting accepted.

The villagers fling Naruto into the air, his face is in teary joy.

The Plot Thickens
    Before dying, Nagato comments about how devastating loss is, especially for those who naively deny it under determination to prevent it. He warns Naruto about the trials ahead in stopping wars that cause such loss. He wonders if Naruto was preordained. Kishimoto recently mentioned this talk inspired him...

The ‘tree’ hideout unravels apart.

Konan takes away the corpses of Nagato and Yahiko (whose identity Naruto now discovers).

Konan gives Naruto an origami bouquet (similar to the one she presented to the Three Sannin years ago).

Remember When (or Not)
    Kakashi remembers the ‘Sakumo ostracized by the villagers’ scene and ‘Kid Kakashi standing before his father’s corpse’ with an added scene of Kid Kakashi clenching his fist in emotional pain over the latter.

Nagato remembers Jiraiya’s decision to make reparation for the orphans

Naruto remembers his talk with Jiraiya.

Ebisu remembers Naruto’s progression relationship with the village through the POV of the Konoha Ninjas: the Scroll Theft incident (where the Ninjas are ready to kill the Nine Tails kid), the Land of the Waves mission (where the Ninjas attribute the success to Kakashi with no respect to the Nine Tails kid), to Naruto’s defeat of Kiba and then Neji at the Chunin Exams (surprise &, compliments for his achievements, but also fear of another rampage), to his defeat of Gaara (where they begin to refer to Naruto by name), to his helping Jiraiya getting Tsunade to become Hokage, to his own defeat by Sasuke (concern about his health), being made a target by the Akatsuki, to his saving Kazekage Gaara (pleased to have peace now with the Sand village), to Jiraiya’s death (they worry about Naruto), and their belief in his determination.

Iruka remembers his talks with the Third Hokage about Naruto’s wish to be acknowledged and Minato’s wish that he be made a hero by the Hidden Leaf Village.

But in the Manga…

The Manga introduces Kakashi's Limbo scene with Sakumo’s reply to Kakashi’s long story with understanding to his troubled life. The Anime delays those words to after Kakashi speaks about his pain over his father’s fall from grace & suicide (These latter comments were added to the Anime).

The Manga depicted the dead villagers’ resurrection, and then Kakashi getting hit by the resurrection blast. The Anime reverses this sequence.

The Anime adds a scene of Iruka meeting Konohamaru and Ebisu.

The Anime adds Choji weeping over Kakashi’s revival.

The Anime adds drops of Nagato’s blood hitting the floor.

The Anime adds to Konan wrapping up her comrades by showing her using her Jitsu on Nagato first.

The Manga depicts Jiraya’s tombstone as vacant of anyone. The Anime adds Naruto to the scene, praying and then running off (this rather conflicts with the following scene, where the fatigued Naruto is walking slowly, ready to fall).

Ebisu’s recollections of Naruto are canon, but the Manga had this occur during his battle with Ninjendo Pain (to emphasize his refusal to tell him about Naruto’s whereabouts). Most of the scenes are of clips (including Naruto punching Neji, etc.) rather than stills.

The Anime adds dialogue to the scenes of Team Gai (Gai compliments Naruto’s “Youth”), Team Asuma (While Shikamaru is astounded by Naruto’s victory, Ino considers romance), and Team Kurenai (Kiba bristles over Shino’s words about Naruto’s superiority) watching Naruto being celebrated by the villagers.

In the Manga, Konohamaru is with Team Ebisu. The Anime has him being a crutch for Ebisu while standing with Iruka. As a result, the manga appearances of Moegi and Udon are omitted from this adaptation.

The Anime adds Sakura, Ino, Kiba, Gai, and Lee lifting Naruto into the air.

14. Kitschensyngk

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hypeathon

Hypeathon Well-Known Member

Congratulations Shin-er-I mean Naruto!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a satisfying and heart-warming end to the arc, with the villagers finally accepting and congratulating Naruto (frankly, this should have happened years ago, but better late than never).

I understand why some people would be upset at how everyone was revived, but it was probably also the easiest way to have Nagato atone for at least some of his sins, and it's not really a deus ex machina, since it does make sense within the former explanation of his powers. And, again, it shows how Naruto is able to reach almost everyone, even villains.

Well, just like that, the Akatsuki are down two members. They really need to hold recruitment drives.

17. WickedChild

WickedChild Kissing the shadows

Seems like it might have been a good idea for Naruto to question Konan about the remaining Akatsuki. Not to mention she was complicit in all their past crimes, even if this one didn't result in anyone dead.

18. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

You make a really good point with that first part. At the very least, she might have had some info on Tobi.

On the second one....well, Naruto is just really forgiving. :p And she did give him a bouquet. ;)

19. A.Magik

A.Magik Active Member

I don't know there is anything more Konan would have told Naruto that wasn't already given by Kabuto and Minato. That written, Naruto's simple-mindedness did play a part in this (I could envision Sakura going PMS over this oversight. "You didn't arrest her?" PUNCH!)

20. WickedChild

WickedChild Kissing the shadows

Let's just say she's lucky Naruto is no Jack Bauer.

Edit: Or if he wanted to be more diplomatic about it, he could have proposed an alliance, since I'm assuming she'd be head of the Rain village now?

Is Naruto already aware of Tobi's true identity? I can't honestly remember. That at least would have some pretty high intelligence value.

#20 WickedChild, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017