C&C - Lupin the Third - “The Lovesick Pig" [9/9]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by veemonjosh, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

I knew it. I knew the twist. This was a Edgar Alan Poe homage the whole time, disguised a comedy. Hahaha.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

I guess Rick and Morty having a similar episode was a coincidence.

#42 SpaceCowboy, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  3. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk The kids are all wrong

Dissemble no more! I admit the deed! Tear up the planks! Here, here! It is the beating of her hideous heart!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

Why haven't I been watching this show before? It looks like fun.

Maybe it's just the fact that I woke up right when a bare female butt appeared on-screen. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. SpaceCowboy

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. The absurdity surrounding the love potion was executed well. The rivalry between the franchise's signature femme fetale and her younger possible replacement was an interesting change of pace.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Seeing how the two ladies operate was another interesting thing. Rebecca isn't quite the Fujiko clone as she has more of a thrill junkie in her and wouldn't use seduction tactics (except on Lupin, who seems to be the only man she regularly deceives in that manner.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

So the secret of the wine (or at least the content of the prize barrel) was the man's wife's blood? Gross, what is wrong with this show?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk The kids are all wrong

More like he killed his wife and hid her body in a wine barrel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Scrappy-Fan92

Not exactly an improvement, all things considered. I feel like I'm watching an episode of Case Closed.

10. Gatomon41

Can you imagine if Zenigata arrives, sees the body and wine barrel, and puts the two together...

11. SpaceCowboy

Funny you mention that, since I felt it was an improvement over the crossover specials Lupin had with that show.

12. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Up until the twist, I thought that this episode was pretty good. I actually liked the setup of Lupin going on date with both Fujiko and Rebeca on the same night and place. It was a conflict so cliched that I could hear the laugh tracks playing like in an old sitcom. A setup like that and Lupin struggling to maintain both of his dates is the kind of wacky humor I'd like to see more from the show. That being said, I think it was a good choice to not drag that out for the whole episode. They might have been able to make it work a bit longer, but it would have felt too much to have that setup last for more than half the episode at most.

Fujiko and Rebeca going after the same treasure did show off their skills. Rebeca is more inexperienced than Fujiko, but she's pretty smart. People have said that she's like a Fujiko clone, but I don't see too many similarities between them, although not being familiar with this franchise might not help in this regard. Something about Rebeca did start bothering me when she was fighting Fujiko over the wine. She just wants to steal for the thrill of it. That's how it has been from day one, but compared to professional thieves, it just makes her look kind of shallow. Not like the professional thieves in this show have more noble goals in their work, aside from possibly Goemon, and I don't think that Lupin and his friends are starving exactly either, but something about that comparison just bothered me. Maybe it's because Rebeca is already extremely rich and famous and could do other things besides stealing for fun to satisfying her thrills kick.

Everyone going nuts after drinking the wine was pretty funny and that was the kind of wacky over the top comedy I have wanted to see more in this series. But then the twist happened. It made sense that the man they kept running into was really the co-creator of the wine, but what was really inside of it was really creepy. The body of his wife, along with possibly her blood, helped to make the wine that people were drinking. That's absolutely horrifying. That was a big problem since throwing in such a dark twist in an otherwise light hearted comedy episode is really jarring and distracting. It's kind of like the opposite problem that the previous episode had, in that it was far too serious to make an ending gag of Goemon slicing up police cars in a cartoonish fashion work. It kind of makes me think that the show doesn't know what kind of tone to go for, or it might be more accurate to say that the show doesn't know how to balance its two tones. It's only rare when the serious and goofy tones can mix well into an episode. Often times, episodes are either too serious or too silly to make the other tone fit.

Overall, it was still a pretty good episode, even with the ending twist. It just made me realize a huge issue I have with the series in regards to its tone. I still generally like the series and it can be entertaining, but not having a balance between the two tones it wants to use is a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Scrappy-Fan92

I'm not entirely sure the wine co-creator's wife's blood was actually an ingredient for the wine itself.

14. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I just thought of that possibility because of how the wine looked more like blood during that scene and her body could have been bleeding when he originally put her body in the barrel of wine.

15. Gatomon41

This my first episode I've seen with Rebecca, so I'm still getting used to her. But that's a good point: she comes off as superficial. I would go as far as say Rebeca is being childish about it. Fujiko and Lupin are professionals, even though they do make it occasionally personal. But Rebeca comes off as a rich kid who doesn't know how dangerous this is. It reminds me of a certain Batman TAS episode, where the bad guys were just thrill seekers.

Lupin has been in business for a while, so he knows the high risks involved: people can die dealing with some of the monsters he faced. He may be smug and enjoys what he does, but he doesn't do it for solely because he's bored. Rebeca is stepping in to a jungle she thinks is a playground.

Yeah, I saw the twist coming, though ironically I was shocked it didn't involve his Wife being made into wine. Although the episode didn't quite disproved though: how the reveal was seen is ambiguous, confusing.

In any case, it does make for a neat mystery. We were given all the clues before hand - The hints about the disappearance, why would someone steal something they apparently had plenty of, and the confusion of why they would go so far. But there were also the literary allusions, in this case to Edgar Alan Poe. It's not a direct correlation, but the hints where there: A decadent party, people obsessed with getting their goals at any cost, wine and the color red. Also fitting considering Poe wrote the first modern mystery stories: The Purloin Letter, featuring a French detective, which I wonder might also a distant relation to Lupin III.

• Like Like x 1