1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice

C&C - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - "Young Caesar" [3/11]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by veemonjosh, Mar 11, 2017.

1. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

This is the first time I'm ever going to say that bubbles are awesome. Caesar's death was a way bigger shock than his grandpa's. :( This is probably the best episode so far.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that this episode was pretty good. Given the title, I thought that the episode would be focused entirely on Caesar's backstory rather than just a few minutes. I was still really confused about a couple of details on his past though. Why did his father seemingly abandon his family? I know that he took up where his own father left off with becoming a Hamon user and he did so in order to protect his family, but why did he just leave his children like that? I can understand explaining the whole situation might not have worked and they probably wouldn't have believed him anyway, but why not at least make sure that your own children are taken care of so that they are safe and don't have immense abandonment issues? At least when his grandfather abandoned his family, his wife was still there to raise their son.

I was also still unsure about how much Caesar knew about his grandfather's death. He mentioned at the end how he gave the last of his Hamon to Jonathan to fight Dio, so he did know at least some of the circumstances leading to his death. That could have been added in for the dub, but given what he does at the end, I kind of doubt that. Even if that was the case, it still makes his anger towards his grandfather's death a bit strange when it was a necessity. I could understand his anger towards Joseph's comment earlier a bit more and why he would feel strongly about his family name. He went from disregarding it to valuing his last name after his father's sacrifice. While the whole abandonment still feels like a bit of a contrived way for Caesar to hate his father at first, it was kind of tragic that his father sacrificed himself without seemingly recognizing his own son.

I thought for a moment that there was some new villain introduced, but Wamuu using his powers to block the sunlight was pretty smart. Honestly, the other instructor lasted a lot longer than I thought he would given how quickly the first one died. Caesar was quite impressive throughout the fight. He had some good strategies, although it did help that Wamuu underestimated him, and he caused a lot of damage with his bubbles. He easily would have been able to win if he didn't jump up like that. A punch probably would have done the same kind of damage and potentially reduce/prevent him from creating another shadow. That was a surprising moment, although it would have been better if the narrator didn't suddenly point it out. The narrator in this show is extremely unnecessary given how much the characters narrate themselves.

I was genuinely surprised that Caesar died. Even though Wamuu was looking for Joseph and had the antidote, I thought that they'd have Caesar defeat him to showcase his own strength and then team up with Joseph to defeat the final boss. And it was a surprisingly brutal death too. He was bleeding so much even before he was crushed. Getting the antidote and leaving his Hamon behind for Joseph was pretty touching. I have said multiple times that the emotional drama hasn't worked for this show before and I still stand by that, but I will give credit where credit is do. This was easily the most emotionally effective death scene in the series thus far. It definitely helped that I didn't see it coming. They telegraphed his grandfather's death pretty blatantly and mentor figures are often killed off too. But Caesar was the rival/best friend kind of character and I don't think that they are killed off nearly as frequently. Plus, I don't think that it was telegraphed, or at least not as much as it could be. Even with going off on his own and getting a flashback, I thought that he'd be able to survive right until they showed him covered in his blood.

It also really helped that he's actually been around for a decent chuck of the series. Most of the other characters who died were around for only a couple of episodes at best or were introduced clearly just to die. Caesar was a main character and his friendship with Joseph was more convincing than what their grandfathers had. I still felt like they became a bit too friendly too quickly, or at least faster than I had expected, but it was still something that I could believe. It was also kind of sad how their last moment together was just fighting and insulting each other. Obviously, they still cared about each other and Caesar knew this when making his sacrifice, but it does add to the tragedy in that Joseph didn't get a chance to apologize. I thought that Joseph and Lisa Lisa would come into the room right before the stone shaped like a cross hit him so that they could see each other one last time. Joseph calling out Caesar's name even though he was afraid to do so when they first got in there and Lisa Lisa breaking down was really sad too. This was the first emotional/dramatic scene that I think the show earned. It was a genuine surprise, they've established Caesar and his relationships fairly well in a decent amount of episodes and they gave the scene a good amount of emotional weight. It didn't feel manipulative or done purely for shock value like I've felt for the other death scenes, so I give them credit for that.

Overall, it was a pretty good episode and quite possibly the best one out of the episodes I've seen so far.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Zeether

Zeether Victory!

God, that last part of the episode...the Italian opera music makes it even more sad.

(They reference the "CAESAAAARRR!" in the old Capcom fighting game, by the way, it's young Joseph's super move)

• Agree Agree x 1