1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

C&C - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - "Who Will Be the Judge?!" [8/5]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by veemonjosh, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

Ok so in the actual Japanese, Jotaro is not saying female dog. He is actually saying: "Shut up woman!" so still rude, but far less harsh. For some reason the translators(sub and dub) went with female dog.

2. Master Knight DH

So the dub went with actually adding language, huh?

At any rate, it's still the same amount of chauvinism.The points in my post still stand.

3. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

Dub and sub actually. Basically I think the translators figured Jotaro was swearing, and went with that.

4. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

I really hope that the show doesn't have Jotaro say something misogynistic every episode. That would get old quick.

5. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

Nah, that'll drop after episode 4 if I remember correctly, cause episode 3 is to justify his world tour to kill a vampire wearing his great great grandfather as a full body prosthetic.

6. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Two more episodes still sounds like too much.

7. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

Unfortunately the type of character(stand offish delinquent) Jotaro is was really popular at the time this Part was written, and might still be today in Japan(western audiences never really like them though).

8. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

Yeah but Jotaro feels like a weak archetype to that kind of character, compare tp yusuke urumashi where you understood his gripes

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

9. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Yusuke also didn't seem to be a total misogynist. There were a few sweet moments were he shows that he really cared about the ladies in his life.

10. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

Point. Granted Jotaro never actually expresses any interest in any female character he meets in Part 3.

11. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

Jotaro is rude but he treats everyone like crap regardless of gender

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

12. MasterofRoku

MasterofRoku Active Member

In this episode we see Jotaro showing concern for the school nurse once Hierohpant Green was pulled out of her body and despised how she was being used, and he asked if Holly was alright when he arrived home.

A misogynist he is not. Jotaro's attitude improves once the hunt for DIO gets going, and during the Part he becomes less of a jerk and much more bearable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #52 MasterofRoku, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  13. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't think that those two cases particularly make him less rude towards women. He's still yelling at pretty much any female character around him and even insulting his own mother. The dub added in the swear words to make it more harsh, but it was apparently still pretty rude in Japanese too. I'm not sure if I'd call Jotaro a misogynist just yet, but I wouldn't blame anyone for coming to that conclusion either. Constantly telling women that they're annoying, calling them the b-word and just being flat out rude to them doesn't make him look particularly endearing and it's especially bad when this is our first impressions of the new lead character. He may become less of a jerk as times goes on, but first impressions can impact a lot regardless.

Anyway, I thought that this episode was pretty bad. I have no idea why anyone would have a crush on Jotaro, let alone a group of girls who insult their breast sizes and faces over him. Again, he seems rather unpleasant towards everyone around him. That whole trope always bugged me since girls usually don't like being insulted. Not to mention Jotaro honestly looks so ugly with his ridiculously huge muscles. I understand that he's supposed to be the bad boy/tough guy kind of character, but there's really nothing redeeming or interesting about him. He comes off as basically stereotypical cool without any substance behind him. The girls were annoying themselves, especially with their nonsensical argument and insults over breasts sizes that I swear only exist in bad anime, but it was still stupid that they'd fall for Jotaro. Maybe it was supposed to be funny, but it seemed like they played it too straight for me to take it that way. That's kind of why I never could by the whole "it's a parody" claim. They do things in melodramatic fashions, but they still play things straight for the most part. At least part of it could still be me taking things at face value, but I have doubts about that.

The nurse scene did get more intense than I expected. The eye thing was really disturbing and I'd be surprised if she still had her job by the time she got back. The fight was okay. Jotaro at least seemed aware of how much of a jerk he really is during his speech. I think it was supposed to make him more admirable with his whole bit about justice, but all it made me think is that they were trying to make him look better by comparison to his opponent, which admittedly wasn't a hard thing to do. Jotaro has been a jerk, but at least he hasn't actively tried to kill anyone innocent yet. I could have really done without the nurse showing off her undershirt since that came off as a bit of unnecessary fanservice in a serious moment. Even though the kiss was part of Jotaro's plan, that was still kind of creepy too.

I was amazed that the nurse was alive after all that. I thought that she'd be dead for sure, especially being in the pile of blood. It also took the staff and students way too long to notice something was off. While Jotaro showing concern for his mother was nice, especially when she seems to be so upbeat and genuinely loves her son, I don't think that was enough to redeem Jotaro after being such a jerk for the past two episodes. He's still borderline unlikable at best. At least Holly was happy to believe that Jotaro is a caring boy deep inside. She is the only likable character out of the new ones, which is just really sad. The whole twist at the end was kind of expected after the opening, which was admittedly pretty cool.

Overall, it was a pretty bad episode. I'll give it at least a couple more episodes since they're still setting things up, but it's definitely not off to a good start.

14. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Maybe misogynist isn't quite the right word, but sexist fits. Just because you have a hint of compassion for a group of people doesn't mean don't have a degree of bigotry towards them. A person in the 50's could oppose the lynching of African Americans but still support segregation. Jotaro might oppose violence towards women while seeing women as obnoxious and annoying. I'm backing off the term misogynist because "hatred" is too strong a term, but his behavior does seem pretty sexist.