1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice

C&C - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - "Who Will Be the Judge?!" [8/5]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by veemonjosh, Aug 5, 2017.

1. marklungo

marklungo Greetings from Honneamise

"Why did you make me kill both her and you instead of just you?" That's real logic there, pal.

2. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Ora Ora Ora Ora

3. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Always never quite right

Ironically, now he needs a nurse.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. marklungo

Wha... after all that, the doctor is still alive?

5. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

...and the girls of CLAMP have an idea of their ideal JoJo yaoi pairing. :D

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Always never quite right

If I hadn't glanced at the English credits, I could swear his mother was voiced by the same actress who played Dita Liebely.

7. StorytellerMJ5

StorytellerMJ5 Active Member

JoJo treats both his mom and those girls like garbage and yet they still like him. And yes those girls were annoying, but still, it's dumb, IMO.

The fight was boring. Its hard to enjoy a fight when you don't care about either person in said fight.

This show is off to a bad start. But, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. marklungo

Agreed. At least the first two seasons had protagonists who were more or less likable.

P.S. So this is my thousandth post. Do I win a prize? ;-)

9. Master Knight DH

I'm convinced JJBA is a parody. I think I should have been from the start, actually.

I may as well provide my 2 cents on women. I think they are, of course, better when they're pleasant, because who wants to lose years over being mistreated repeatedly over mountains being made out of molehills. However, I also get bothered by them being pushovers about being nice. For that, I mention 3 key virtues to recommend to females: creativity, bravery, and patience. Those 3 in good, clean balance become useful in proving how Good Is Not Dumb, a trope that needs to show up more, and preferably without becoming a Broken Aesop. With any of those 3 missing, there's the very real chance of them pulling betrayal beeswax, which is absolutely miserable.

I will at least say that Holly Kujo is nice, but good God is she a Dumb Blonde stereotype. As for those fangirls, they catfight to the point of calling each other things like "ugly" and "no boobs" over a muscular guy, which is the hallmark of gold diggers. That's BOTH extremes at work. And as we can see, they BOTH lead to self-destructive, unhealthy behavior.

However, it's not like males should be nasty for its own sake. On top of issuing the sort of standards I mentioned, there's still the notion of wanting a personal nurse or some such who could also provide plenty of fun. I believe it's been said before: males want fun, females want marriage, and for each of them, the price is what the other gender wants. (I'm sure I'm paraphrasing, work with me here.) It's ultimately reason females at least deserve to be treated fairly enough, even if backstabbing, unwelcome favoritism, and shallowness are actually persistent problems to worry about.

So yes, Jotaro has blatant problems. There is this trope called Nice To The Waiter/Waitress that becomes an indication of how well a guy would treat his wife. Jotaro fails it so miserably, that he easily borders on Designated Hero, at least. I'd be wondering how girls fawn over him, but oh right, he's muscular. Of course he can do no wrong. Even though he calls his mother the B-word for no valid reason whatsoever.

My question is, why do girls become so damn afraid of Squishy Wizard guys? I get that the "nice guy" with quote marks business can be involving more meta exploitation, but that can still easily degenerate into outright paranoia, rather than consider tropes like Savvy Guy Energetic Girl where the girl is more likely to have the physical momentum, and pleasant surprises can just as easily happen for both parties anyway. Though I will agree that trust has to be earned, especially if marriage is supposed to be about sharing the work and sharing the fun. Of course, with that line of logic, you'd think I'd see less of the chauvinism I have witnessed plague the San Francisco "Yay" Area at the very least, and especially fewer females basically like being freaking property rather than their own people.

My point regardless is that the whole thing is ultimately a two way street. Both genders do have to put in the effort to make sure the other one doesn't suffer overwhelming fear, which wouldn't do anybody any good. Besides, love is better than hate, right?

10. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

JoJo did start as a parody of Fist of the North Star BTW, then once Stands were introduced it became its own thing. JoJo 4 is much more friendly than Jotaro. It should be noted that Jotaro's character archetypes was pretty popular in Japan at the time.

Also that thing with the painting never comes up again, because Araki writes by the seat of his pants, he doesn't really plan ahead, probably because he'd most likely forget what he planned anyway(he forgets a lot).

EDIT: also the things Jotaro says to his mother(and his admirers) are a lot less harsh in Japanese, but they are harsher in English because of translation issues.

#30 Volthoom, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  11. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

In Kakyoin's case, you really don't see his true personality in his first episode as a result of that "bud" that's attached to his head.

As I mentioned last week, it takes about three weeks to set up the arc's premise and storyline, with the real fun starting in the fourth episode. In the case of this week's episode, it's job is to flesh out Jotarou's character (a juvenile delinquent who, despite being somewhat of a jerk, still has his standards) and to set up the idea that Dio is well aware that the JoJos and Avdol are looking for him, with him (and that old lady that we see with Dio during his scene) sending out other Stand users to take him out.

#31 TnAdct1, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  12. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Episode 2 was pretty sweet/intense,

Holly, my favorite awesome mother, love her great silly sweet adorable personality:D.

Light Lucario is so gonna hate the next JoJo Jotaro due to his lousy crappy personality, Jotaro is worse than Domon Kasshu, Revy, Black Star, Kyoma(Dimension W), and Tornado though.

The annoying girl admirers so made me laugh, hahahahaha:p, but they're so cute.

Noriaki Kakyoin, my favorite of DIO's many followers, he's interesting while a ruthless sadistic scumbag.

The mysterious old lady with DIO is interesting.

The school nurse is cute, but the poor school nurse though, the women can't catch a break from the show:sweat:.

Noriaki like Donquixote Doflamingo on controlling, Noriaki's Heirophant Green Stand power is pretty interesting while a very cruel Stand.

Jotaro vs. Noriaki was intense, love Noriaki Kakyoin's satisfying defeat from Jotaro:D.

Jotaro wanting to get information out of Noriaki is great.

Jotaro being more caring/less harsh on Holly was great, Jotaro, still my favorite JoJo/Joestar.

The little "bud" on Noriaki is interesting.

#32 Radical, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  13. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Right now, I can obviously see a very understandable backlash against the early episodes of this show because Jotaro's one of the biggest jerks in anime protagonist history. At least today, we see that he has a sense of morality. So Jotaro's cussing out women is dub-only? What is said in the Japanese dialog?

14. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

I don't speak or understand Japanese, but the subs also have the same problem, mainly because there isn't an English word that corresponds with the specific Japanese curse word. So they went with the one they felt worked best(whether or not it actually works best is debatable). Also early JoJo Araki wasn't that great at writing women(his earlier series, Gorgeous Irene, a story about a shapeshifting assassin had some of the same issues). But he does get better(when he realizes that there are problematic elements in what he does, he does try to fix them), so the modern female JoJo characters are better written.

Unrelated to the above, I can't wait to see a certain beatdown Jotaro gives to a bad guy later on. I wanna hear Mathew Mercer's ORAs for the second longest(it was three entire pages in the manga, the longest was seven pages) beatdown in JoJo.

15. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

This is episode 2.

16. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

That nurse got humiliated...

Jotaro may me a jerk, but I admit I found his speech about judgement to be awesome. And based on the opening, painter-boy is going to be a major character, so I'm not sure what to make of that.

17. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

As I said before, Kakyoin's debut episode doesn't really give viewers a good idea of what his character is like, as his actions here are the result of the "bud" on his head. Once that problem gets fixed, viewers will get a better idea of what his personality.

18. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Knowing that he was mind controlled is kind of a spoiler to me. That "bug" could have been a tracker, or magic communication device or something. Can we keep the spoilers to a minimum?

19. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

OK yeah, spoiler shall be kept to a minimum. Also just FYI, some of DIO's servants are gonna comment on his beauty(men and women alike).

20. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Really? While I do try to hold back on JoJo spoilers, I thought that the final seconds of the episode made it clear that the "bud" was the reason why Kakyoin attacked Jotarou (although I could understand why you'd think it's a spoiler, as the bud is only revealed in the final seconds of the episode, and the only other hints we have of Kakyoin's character besides the episode itself is the OP).

#40 TnAdct1, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017