C&C - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - "Wheel of Fortune" [11/4]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by veemonjosh, Nov 4, 2017.

1. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Okay, the JoJos can be...violent people. Of course, that style of interrogating people who may or may not be innocent is in common use among rough and tough characters (Batman and Jack Bauer are quite guilty of this). Expecting Jotaro to be a paragon of virtue is kind of a tall order (he's already supposed to be borderline misanthropic). Of course, I can understand why some of the Toonami faithful are missing genuine all around good guy characters (having one saccharin power of friendship show would probably appease a lot of fans. Toonami, find one already to balance things out!). Okay we do have Kakyoin as this show's nice guy and the cast of Dragonball Super are quite friendly and Gon is mostly a nice kid (although we have some people who pick on him here. You have to be a total paragon it seems to avoid criticism from some people). It looks like the dark Toonami protagonist issue is a little exaggerated, but Jotaro and Mikazuki are admittedly violent and rough characters who paint the block as pretty grim.

2. Master Knight DH

Master Knight DH Active Member

I don't think it's that these characters aren't paragons that is the problem. Nobody is raging about Outlaw Star, perhaps because Gene's morality is supposed to be actively questionable and the characters actually do try to keep him in check. Reasons like that leave me wondering why Outlaw Star is deathslotted.

...oh wait. I think I know why: because of Melfina. Yeah, if I had to avoid deathslot times, I'd rather deal with nudity in a show where perverts are kept under control (thank you, Jim), than a clear surplus of gore in a show that has no shame about a good amount of its brutality.

I think the underlying problem is the absolutely excessive testosterone being promoted. The whole truck driver business is made even worse by how Anne gushes over it because of Jotaro being this tough guy. I think it would still be frustrating IF Jotaro had mentioned not wanting the truck driver to get caught in the crossfire, especially since Anne was still by the group; and the truck driver could have been dropped off at that stop anyway. That Jotaro didn't give the reason whatsoever makes Anne come across as a fangirl.

And do NOT get me started on Atra's "all or nothing" comment that was made after Mikazuki's mafia gunman behavior. Just because we know Mikazuki isn't an out-and-out sociopath doesn't mean somebody who knows how he isn't is going to interpret the mess as anything but a case of All Girls Want Bad Boys.

The problem is made even worse by how these two episodes happened back to back. I ended up having a breakdown bad enough that I ended up making myself some noodle soup in an effort to recover, despite having already eaten plenty over the day. It's obviously my fault I was watching Jojo's Bizarre Adventure after its persistent sexism and general eyebrow raisers, but the Wheel of Fortune episode was STILL a new low, to the point where it would have been teeth-gnashing for me without either Iron Blooded Orphans' own episode having that mafia business headache, Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters's own episode involving Goku offering women's bodies to Elder Kai figuring he's like Roshi (that's actually more a nitpick for me, thank you Gohan, but every little bit adds up and the Moral Dissonance means it deserves note anyway), OR the bad day I already had no thanks to the garbage thrown about by the Advance Wars subreddit.

At least this should call out problems well. Perhaps future media makers can take notes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Something like that. In the Japanese version of Part Three, one of Joseph's trademark bits involves him responding to some situations with some good old fashioned Engrish (OH NO!!! OH MY GOD!!!). As such, Epcar's delivery when he yells "Oh no!" is meant to emulate the hamminess of Joseph's Engrish during the original Japanese versions of said scenes.

4. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

\

So people who never watched the series is going to interpret the character wrong what a shock

5. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

I wonder if anyone is going to do a Japanese English comparison of Joseph's "Oh no's." Which actor does it better?

6. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

I'm sure we'll get something like this by the end of the show's run. Also, "Oh no" is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Joseph's over the top Engrish reactions.