C&C - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - "The Empress" [10/21]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by veemonjosh, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk The kids are all wrong

I don't know. Armor, maybe.

Yet another girl who would rather die than date Polnareff.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Hol Horse is definitely lucky that he didn't see her true form.

3. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Well-Known Member

Next time: Jotaro, Joseph, Kakyoin, and Polnareff's Wild Ride

4. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

I mean it still restricts your movements so I doubt its going to be good armor

5. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk The kids are all wrong

Here come the Men in Black...

Walking like Egyptians...

6. Mr. Anime

Mr. Anime Active Member

More like Duel.

7. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

The next episode has a fun fight.

8. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Episode 38 was pretty awesome/intense,

Enya still a horrible old piece of scum, I'll enjoy her death soon after Tarukus/Esidisi/J. Geil's:mad:, the poor cat.She's J. Geil's mother, both made to be horrible/hatable.

Nena, something strange/fishy about her, she might be the next assassin, poor Polnareff.

The poor doctor's death was gruesome.

Joseph Joestar's major role moment was pretty sweet, many Joseph Joestar fans will love the episode:D, Light Lucario will love the episode.

The Empress Stand, one sick/bizarre Stand power, the evil parasite, a horrible trolling little piece of crap, an Anti-Migi, poor Joseph.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure crossovers with Parasyte -the maxim-, hehehe.

Joseph vs. The Empress was pretty intense, love the Empress's satisfying defeat, go Joseph on his awesome clever strategies and using Hermit Purple to destroy the little scumbag:D.

Nena was the next Stand user assassin, I knew it, an ugly obese woman in disguise, loved her satisfying death.I thought she was a different person/random cute chick, boy I was wrong:sweat:, poor Hol Horse found the wrong woman, hehehe.

Team Jotaro travels to Pakistan, but an unknown car follows them, another Stand user assassin, they always follow them, hehehe, great cliffhanger.

#48 Radical, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  9. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

Language.

Strange seeing Polnareff trying to woo a girl he was calling a b*tch earlier. And it was cool to see Joseph use his prediction line again.

10. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

This marks a first for JoJo, the first villainess of the series. Considering that this part of JoJo was written in the late 80s-early 90s I wouldn't be surprised if the stand of the week was directly inspired by Parasyte. Richard Epcar seemed to have a lot of fun hamming it up the max. Next week is a car chase? That should be interesting.

11. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

Anyone ever watch Christine?

12. Master Knight DH

Master Knight DH Active Member

Light Lucario has already been turned off from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure due to the excess sexism. I'm not sure if she's going to care.

Part of me would want to at-sign her username to show her this post to talk about JoJo's Bizarre Adventure having more problems than the sexism (I'll never get over the local Genki Girl being made into a completely inept wuss), but I think I'd rather trust her job as a moderator. I point this out nevertheless because I think I figured out the big problem JoJo's Bizarre Adventure has on its intelligence front: its foreshadowing the idea the protagonists come up with is *WAY* too ineffective, if that. This episode, as I indicate, is a perfect example. I had seen the clip of Joseph defeating Empress prior to the episode's airing and I STILL got shocked by how the Hamon usage did nothing useful, not even let Joseph expose Empress's existence to the police to prove that Empress was the one who murdered that doctor. That's bad, that something that was a keystone mechanic for the first 2 Parts just to seemingly drop off the face of the Earth in Part 3 is just subjected to the Worf Effect without doing anything worth a damn when it finally returns. It is a VERY good display of Power Creep AND why it is a problem, namely that it avoids the idea of juggling the intelligent aspects with each other. I'd rather see skills that come out of the woodwork and stay in play despite the presence of the powerful enemies seemingly suffocating them. And don't say that JoJo's Bizarre Adventure's fixation on the Monster Of The Week formula is why Hamon could need to be dropped, because the Monster Of The Week formula is a per episode basis, not per Part.

All that complaining already and I haven't even torn at the coal tar business. Yet. I am doing it now, because as I imply it wasn't foreshadowed efficiently at all. We don't get to see the map Joseph had made before the coal tar on Empress has already managed to solidify. I looked at the part where Joseph spilled the ashes: there was NO sign of him using Hermit Purple, no map, nothing. Where's the Rewatch Bonus? I want to be sure these strategies aren't Tractum Ex Burro. What we're left with is no chance of the show being engaging with the audience. And don't say Nena being the stand user had plenty of foreshadowing, because it was obvious enough, and sure as hell wasn't subtle.

Obviously, I'm bringing up more present day standards, but when JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is going to be Gods VS Gods while saying it involves strategy and tactics, I think it's fair to bring up how JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is even more of a product of its time than I thought. I will admit, though, that Noble Pope is a case of Ear Worm for good reasons. However, the problem isn't that JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is pure trash, because it isn't, but that it has glaring problems that make it clear it's EXTREMELY overhyped.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

Less power creep, and more that Hamon is obsolete, the enemy that it is effective against is no longer a thing in the series beyond DIO.

EDIT: the actual reason Araki switched to Stands is because he figured fights between people with powers completely unique to them would be more interesting than fights between two people who know the same form of martial arts.

#53 Volthoom, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  14. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Isn't the idea of old powers becoming useless as soon as a new technique comes up a common trope? Look at Sailor Moon's finishing move. A lot of problems JoJo is perceived as having seem to be just as prevalent in other anime. I admit to its issues (jerk protagonist, making women victims) but I find the battles to be far more creative than a lot of cookie cutter shonen out there. Where else can you find a show with evil monkeys, evil dolls, a goo monster guy, a mirror guy, and a parasite thing in the same show?

15. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

And they get even weirder in later parts.

EDIT: rainbows that contain subliminal messages that make people think they are turning into snails.

16. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

Pretty much this, the reason why Hamon is useless is because the cast are fighting humans instead of the undead, we see this in the third episode where Hamon was used on a flesh bud made by DIO

17. EntropicReaver

EntropicReaver Queen of Heck

You can't just rattle off Tvtropes and expect it to mean anything, tropes are tools. A work isn't inherently worse because of them, JoJo's is the origin of plenty of tropes.

Hamon is gone because vampires are basically gone. It's not a power creep, considering all the BS that you can pull off with hamon and the fact that hamon had basically no rules or that there are plenty of "weak" stands.

Also I don't know why I keep seeing this in discussions, but why do people think that Joseph would be able to "Expose" the stand user to a normal human being without a stand? This guy, covered in blood comes up to you and explains that the weird bump on his arm murdered a doctor and he's gonna use his magic powers (that you can't see) to prove that it wasnt him?

straight power upgrades are rare in JoJos, generally the powers that you have in the beginning are the powers you have at the end. Characters grow stronger by finding unusual applications for their unique powers and fights are often won by simply outsmarting an opponent, regardless of relative stand strength.

#57 EntropicReaver, Oct 25, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  18. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Fairy Tail seems to be an actual offender of the problems Master Knight DH sees with the series. Characters randomly getting new powers because of friendship!

19. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

Also, when power upgrades do happen in this series, it is the main villains who generally get them.