1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

C&C - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - "The Curse of DIO" [8/12]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by veemonjosh, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Season 2 episode 3 was pretty sweet,

Mohammed first meeting Dio was interesting, Dio mostly a terrifying vile monster.

Jotaro saving Kakyoin along with destroying the flesh bud was sweet.

Holly having an unknown Stand was interesting, but poor Holly cursed with the Stand.

Nice seeing Joseph being very caring for Holly and nice that Jotaro shows caring for her as well:).

The only way to save Holly is to kill Dio, pretty awesome plan.

Team Jotaro to head to the Aswan region of Egypt to where Dio is, sweet.

Kakyoin to be the best new unexpected ally like Robert Speedwagon to join them was pretty sweet:D, he has a crush on Holly, hehehe.

The Speedwagon Foundation on taking care of Holly were awesome.

Jotaro's Stand called Star Platinum from Mohammed is pretty sweet.

Team Jotaro's crazy adventure begins, a great cliffhanger which Dio's next follower will strike on the plane.

Cool seeing the sweet Stardust Crusaders Ending with the sweet Walk Like An Egyptian song, awesome:D.

Cool to see Outlaw Star, loved the epic protagonists, for Light Lucario and fans that are new to it, enjoy it.

#41 Radical, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017 at 3:21 AM
  2. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

Yes Holly does not have the fighting spirit to have a Stand that won't kill her over the course of fifty days, but there are female Stand users(in this part and later parts), also Araki gets a lot better at writing women(seriously, compare Jolyne to Holly, Jolyne is better written).

Also that Hermit Purple looking Stand DIO had was Jonathan's.

Avdol: I will now recount the time I met DIO and felt attracted to him!

3. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Okay, we had a little bit of issues Holly being the obligatory damsel in distress, but I feel a little better about this episode. Jotaro finally found his soft side. Old Joesph is an entertaining, but falwed, character in his own way being the grumpy old guy who has problems appreciating other cultures. I think his flaws are easier to swallow because he seems to get comically punished for it. Jotaro could use a little commupance for his actions in episode one and two. Also, we got to see Jotaro and Joseph's (more overtly) tender side. I really enjoyed the camp and Richard Epcar's ham was epic today. I find JoJo to be a fun but very frustrating show.

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that this episode was okay. Jotaro saving Kakyoin was pretty neat and they were trying to establish more of his kindness, especially with Holly's reaction. I'm not sure how effective that was, but there was effort put into that. I was annoyed at how anti-Japanese Joseph was at the end of part two, even if it did connect to real events at the time, and while it still isn't good, at least they're playing it more like a running gag, so it doesn't come off as hateful as it could be otherwise. It was kind of neat to see Joseph use Hamon on the bug. I almost forgot about that and it will be forgotten after awhile. I'd probably be more sad about that if the fights with Hamon were more engaging. There were some good ones, particularly in Battle Tendency, but I wouldn't be surprised if Stand fights just offer a lot more visually unique and creative fight scenes.

I have strong mixed feelings about Holly basically being their damsel in distress. On one hand, their in-universe explanation made sense, at least with what little about stands that I know. She wouldn't have the will power that a fighter or more aggressive person would have. She has been extremely kind hearted and appealing to everyone, which is why I liked her. Out of all of the new characters, she seemed the most likable to me. But on the other hand, I don't see why the group needed extra motivation for going after Dio. It does give them a ticking clock for them, but was that really necessary? Dio is a ridiculously powerful vampire who would gladly wipe out their family and take over the world in an instant. I don't think that they really need the extra pressure of saving Holly before she dies within fifty days, especially when Dio could attack them at really any point.

It also doesn't help that this series doesn't have the best track record when it comes to female characters. That's sadly not uncommon with Shonen titles and being written in the 80's probably doesn't help matters either, but that does bother me. Lisa Lisa was really the only competent female fighter thus far and even then, she was reduced to a damsel in distress for Joseph to save and never got a fair fight with a strong opponent. I'm also still annoyed at how utterly pointless the whole Lisa Lisa is Joseph's mother twist was. After all that teasing and buildup, they didn't even show her telling Joseph the truth. They took Holly, a genuinely friendly and loving mother/daughter, and turned her into motivation fuel for the group when they really shouldn't have needed more motivation to go after Dio. They might not have gotten the idea to use Joseph's Stand to draw out the fly in the photograph without Holly being sick, but they probably could have tried that out another time.

That being said, I actually didn't mind the bit where Joseph was treating Holly like a child. I can see the implications there, but I didn't see it that way. She was already acting like a child around her father right from when they met at the airport, so it didn't feel out of place or like they were belittling her. If anything, I thought that the scene was sweet because it showed how much of a father Joseph is. It was a small moment, but it showed off a bit of his maturity after all of these years and that he became a caring father as a result. He looked like he was in his element taking care of Holly like that, even though it got really weird and uncomfortable when she made the joke about her underwear. I tend to like characters who act like big tough guys with big soft sides to match or jerks with hearts of gold, so that probably helps too. I can get that impression for Joseph and I think that they were trying to do the same with Jotaro showing more concern for his mother. Much like his attempts to save Kakyoin, I'm not sure how effective that is. He was a really huge jerk for the first two episodes and was especially rude to his mother, so I'm not sure how much I can believe he has a soft side or a heart of gold after all of that. Like I said before, first impressions can count for a lot.

I forgot that the Speedwagon Foundation exists. At least they'll take care of Holly while they go off to Egypt. The ending theme song was pretty neat and the cliffhanger lead into the next episode was pretty good. Dio being able to figure out where the group is through his own stand should make things more dangerous for the group. Overall, it was an okay episode. I have a lot of problems with putting Holly in danger just for adding more tension and stakes, but this was at least a bit of a step up from the previous two and I'll still give it another couple of episodes at least to see if the actual fights against the villains are good.

• Agree Agree x 1