C&C - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - "The Ascendant One" [4/15] (END OF PART 2)

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by veemonjosh, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Hypeathon

Hypeathon Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself.

2. animePWNS

animePWNS Odyssey, ya see!

Uh oh... Dio's coming back. And there's a new JoJo...

3. marklungo

marklungo Greetings from Honneamise

Yeah, not too thrilled about that. And the fact that a Japanese creator actually wrote the joke just makes it odder.

4. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk The kids are all wrong

I guess this is goodbye, JoJo. For now.

Maybe you just might be our roundabout.

5. marklungo

marklungo Greetings from Honneamise

Well, I like both songs. Sorry that I offended you.

6. Hypeathon

Hypeathon Well-Known Member

Who said I was offended? I just find Bloody Stream addicting.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

Kars: I Was Frozen Today!

#47 SpaceCowboy, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  8. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Well-Known Member

Not a prog rock fan, huh?

Anyway, so that's it for Parts 1 and 2 of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Have the less-than-stellar ratings doomed the franchise or will Toonami take the risk of Part 3's 48 episode run?

Any in case, as far as part 3 goes, you know all that Hamon, and Vampire, and Pillar Men stuff? Well, all that goes completely out the window starting in Part 3. Just something to keep in mind.

9. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Episode 26 was a pretty awesome finale to the awesome Battle Tendency saga,

Kars's powerful insulating shell from the lava was clever as much as the Pillar Men are crazy powerful.

Poor Joseph's arm sliced off was brutal worse than Tiger Claw's.

Kars/The Pillar Men's origin history and being the Stone Mask's creators was interesting.

Joseph holding up the Red Stone of Aja to block Kars along with getting the upperhand using his severed arm defeating Kars sending him to space was awesome.

Kars's satisfying defeat made me laugh when he's frozen being drifted off to space, hehehe:p, farewell Kars.

Poor Speedwagon to not wanna lose another great Joestar friend though.

Nice seeing Messina with the rest of Joseph's friends.

Joseph has survived, yaaaaaaaaay:D:D, I'm so glad, Joseph/Suzi are married, sweet, but Joseph's friends surprised and Suzi forgetting to tell them was funny, hehehe, Suzi so cute.

The aftermath/epilogue was sweet, Joseph is finally told that Lisa Lisa is her mother, sweet, and showing Joseph's friends' great futures was great, both poor Erina, Speedwagon, and Rudol von Stroheim died, they were awesome characters, Rest In Peace Erina, Speedwagon, and Rudol von Stroheim, they'll be missed:crying:, and Smokey being the first black Mayor was sweet.

Cool to see Old Joseph, funny when he lashed out at a Japanese tourist, hehehe, I hope to see his daughter pretty soon.

A creepy foreshadowing with Dio's coffin, the horrible scumbag is gonna return, but love the awesome new JoJo character's introduction ending in a jail cell, I'll enjoy Stardust Crusaders after Battle Tendency:D.

I'll enjoy Attack On Titan Season 2, yaaaaaaaaay, love that awesome new action anime next to One Punch Man/Tokyo Ghoul.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    #49 Radical, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  10. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

It's period accurate; there was a lot of anti-Japanese sentiment among Americans in the 1980's, out of fear the island nation was overtaking them in skill and technology, thereby stealing jobs.

48 episodes long? Dang. Having now become familiar with the Jojo storyline, I'm kinda puzzled how it's so famous when it's basically the kind of story an eight-year-old makes with his action figures.

It would not have been out of place for an attack dog with a built-in force field to appear in an episode, followed by a trained dinosaur who eats force-field dogs.

"That dog's Hamon is INCREDIBLE! It's forming a SHIELD around him! I CAN'T BREAK THROUGH!"
    "JOJO, LOOK!"
    "I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! It's a TYRANNOSAURUS, from OUT OF TIME! HOW CAN THIS BE?"

11. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

Araki Drops the Ripple around Part 3. I mean Joseph does use it, but not as much, then it never comes up again in Part 4. From here on out it is gonna be Stands.

12. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Given how Part 3 is the arc that everyone remembers (with the staff at Toonami showing interest in it), I'm sure it will eventually air on Toonami (although the big question whether it will air once either AoT2 or Tokyo Ghoul ends, or if the series will be saved up until later to have it air during the 1:00 AM hour).

13. StorytellerMJ5

StorytellerMJ5 Active Member

JoJo is finally done!

Next week, we get something better (hopefully).

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

Yes, the bit at the end did just show the next JoJo: Jotaro Kujo.
    How do you feel about Attack On Titan?

15. StorytellerMJ5

StorytellerMJ5 Active Member

I find it to be a thoroughly enjoyable show. An interesting plot with some pretty good characters. Unlike with JoJo, I never got bored by it, so that's a good sign. I'm hoping season 2 can keep me interested.

16. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

Well thats the reason basically, the show is so bat$^$# insane and bizarre that people really love it hell just look at Axe Cop

17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Up until the ending, I thought that this episode was pretty good. The whole backstory with Kars and the Pillar Men felt a bit tacked on. I'm not sure if it was entirely necessary to say that there used to be a tribe of vampires before when they could have easily just found a way to transform from ordinary humans. Plus, given what we have seen of the vampires, the idea that they weren't always monsters comes off as rather unbelievable.

I thought for a moment that Kars was really defeated, but I was really surprised when he cut off Joseph's arm. That was intense and he was just gloating about his strength by that point. Even Hamon couldn't affect him anymore and nearly destroyed Joseph's leg too. I wasn't sure how Joseph got the red stone. I thought that Kars had absorbed it once he put on the stone mask before. The action was pretty intense and I liked how Joseph was still trying to play it cool as if he did plan for all of this to happen. He even admitted that he got lucky. Pushing Kars into space was a really smart idea. If noting on Earth could destroy him, then getting him off the planet was the next best option. Kars just turned to stone, floating into space and slowly losing his thoughts. It was a fate worse than death and exactly what he deserved.

I didn't think that Joseph was dead, mainly because there was still a bit of time left in the episode and I've already seen images from the next two parts, but this is where my enjoyment of the finale took a huge nose dive. I have not seen a finale/epilogue this bad or this rage inducing for me in quite some time. First off, Joseph married Suzie Q. I wasn't too surprised because it almost seemed like they were trying to push a romantic angle when they left her before and I have seen Jotoro's mother, who looked a lot like Suzie Q. My problem is that this made no sense. I could buy that they'd fall in love after she nursed him back to health, but they barely had any scenes together. I didn't think that the romance in the first part was anything to write home about either, but at least their feelings were well established before they got married and they interacted for more than one episode. Also, why they heck didn't Joseph want to make sure that at least his grandmother and Speedwagon could show up to their wedding. Sure, they wanted to have Joseph show up to his own funeral for comedy purposes, but it seemed really stupid that he didn't try to get in contact with anyone more that once. Yeah, Suzie Q should have sent that telegram to let everyone know that Joseph was alive, but they were both in the wrong as far as I'm concerned. He could have easily tried to call his grandmother or Speedwagon or send another telegram asking why they haven't responded. It just seemed so contrived and stupid on top of the wedding coming straight out of nowhere. Also, I was surprised that the other teacher survived. I thought for sure that he was dead.

And then we have the 80's style montage/epilogue showing what happened to everyone, right down to showing the characters names. So Lisa Lisa told Joseph the truth about her off-screen. This might be the aspect of the finale that bothers me the most, although that's hard to say for sure since I hate pretty much everything about this part of the finale. They made such a big deal about this twist, devoted almost an entire episode to explaining her backstory and both Smokey and Speedwagon tried to tell Joseph the truth during the final battle. And they have Joseph learning about Lisa Lisa being his mother off screen?! That made me so upset. Why bother even having that twist if they aren't going to do anything with it beyond dangling it in front of the audience and characters? That was just insultingly bad writing. It doesn't help that we're just told that she gets a happy ending with a new husband either. It was kind of sad to hear about Speedwagon and Joseph's grandmother dying in the epilogue, but at least they're with Jonathan. I'm still not trilled with how they presented Stroheim throughout this series or how it was presented as sad that he never saw Joseph again after giving him a new arm.

I understand that they were also setting up stuff for Part 3, but it felt too jarring to suddenly go from young Joseph to the 80's with Joseph as a grandfather. It just felt like they rushed through the epilogue too much just to get to the setup. I guess that they wouldn't want people think that this was a series finale with no other continuations, but it feels like it should have been its own episode, or maybe half of an episode instead of the last five minutes of this finale. I also wasn't into Joseph being racist towards Japanese people because of his daughter marrying a Japanese man, especially when it was played as comedy relief.

Overall, I do think that this finale worked for the most part. Prior to the funeral scene/epilogue, the action was good, there was a lot of tension and the finale battle was pretty satisfying all things considered. It's just that those last few minutes really ruin what was otherwise a pretty good finale. If they had better established Joseph's relationship with Suzie Q earlier in the series and gave more time for the epilogue and set up for Stardust Crusaders, I probably would have been more okay with those last few minutes.

As for the arc as a whole, it was a mixed bag for me. On one hand, Battle Tendency is still much better than Phantom Blood. Joseph is a much more entertaining lead, the action is more intense and the fights are generally more creative, which makes them more engaging and fun to watch. On the other hand, it still suffers from some of the same problems I had with Phantom Blood, mainly the lack of interesting characters beyond the main lead, the pacing and huge violations of the show, don't tell rule of writing. Cesar would have been okay if his debut didn't involve using women as weapons for his fight against Joseph. Yes, that still bothers me. When one of your protagonist does something like that or anything that Dio would have easily done himself, then that's a problem. However, I will still give the show credit on his death scene. That was still the best death scene out of these two parts. It was handled well, given the emotional weight it deserved and wasn't telegraphed. Lisa Lisa at least had a cool factor as being one of the few prominent female characters in this series and the only female Hamon user to boot, but then she doesn't get to do much other than destroy some nameless vampires and then crushed by Kars. The whole twist with her being Joseph mother was stupid, made his peeping on her in the bathroom and trying to find her underwear a thousand times more creepy and didn't really amount to anything, so what was even the point of that?

The pacing did seem a bit better at first, but I think it went too fast once they started their training. Yeah, they skipped over training, which most people don't like to watch anyway, but that would have been helpful with establishing more of the characters and their relationships. We could have seen Joseph and Caesar's friendship develop a bit more organically, they could have established some kind of romance between Joseph and Suzie Q and we could have seen signs of Lisa Lisa being Joseph's mother if they became closer. Not to mention still seeing the progression of their skills is better than jumping from point A to point C in my opinion. I also really don't liked how they gave almost all of the main vampire villains a warrior sendoff. It kind of made sense with how they were honorable warriors, but at the same time, they were still monsters at the end of the day who didn't really deserve that kind of sendoff. Similarly, I still hate how Stroheim was treated as an ally. Yes, he saved Joseph's life and if it wasn't for him, Kars would have been able to destroy humanity, but he's still a Nazi. I don't like how the show was trying to make him so heroic and traditionally cool with turning him into a cyborg because at the end of the day, he's still a Nazi in the middle of WWII. That is really horrible and unsettling that I'm supposed to like or be invested in a Nazi soldier simply because he's fighting against vampires alongside the heroes.

When the show was focused more on the over the top action and fights, it was good, especially when Joseph's battle style was much more unique than Jonathan's and they were going all out with the ridiculousness of this concept at times too. But from a writing and character perspective, it still felt pretty weak to me. Battle Tendency still shows some of its age. Not as much as Phantom Blood, but you can still get the feeling of when this was made and that the author still didn't have a lot of writing experience yet.

While I did generally enjoy Battle Tendency more than Phantom Blood, I don't know if I'll stick around for Stardust Crusaders. I hated the epilogue so much that I don't know if I want to give the third arc a chance anymore. I haven't made up my mind yet since this is just my initial reaction to the ending, but I'm leading fairly heavily in that direction at the moment. I think that I was just expecting something more from Jojo's Bizzare Adventure after hearing so much praise for it. I can still see why this would have caught on big during the 80's and why it would still be popular, but I was expecting something with maybe a bit more substance than what we got. It comes off more mediocre for me than it probably does for other people. If anything, I am glad that they finished off this season sooner for Attack on Titan. I still find that show to be overrated, but at least the writing there wasn't insultingly bad and it was more engaging. While it does seem likely that they'll get Stardust Crusaders at some point, I do hope that doesn't happen. I'd rather see them getting a new series that is more interesting or of better quality than what I could honestly expect from a Jojo's arc by now. Yeah, Stardust Crusaders is the most popular of the arcs and it could be better writing wise, but if the first two arcs leave a bad or uneven at best impression on me, then I'm not going to be too willing to see if watching one season for a year is going to make me like the series.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

Fun fact: Kars' fate is the second worst fate for a main villain in JoJo. The worst fate goes to the main villain of Part 5, it is that messed up.

The next JoJos: Jotaro Kujo, Josuke Higashikata, Giorno Giovana(JoJo fans are waiting for the announcement of Part 5 getting animated), and Jolyne Cujo. Well that would be from Jonathan's linage, Parts 7 and 8 take place in another universe.

19. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

Honestly I personally really like that part, it shows the passing of the torch and I'm kinda mad that they stop doing that.

Honestly it did, remember Joseph's face.

The only one who got a good sendoff was Wamu Esidisi got killed like a parasite and Kars, well you remember Kars. As for Strohiem I guess thats different strokes personally I kinda like him.

20. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

Well I enjoyed the episode. The revelations with Lisa Lisa and Joseph being quietly glossed over was kind of weak, and Joseph crashing his own funeral while funny, raises some questions over why Joseph never sent a second telegram (or why Suzie Q never bothered to send it in the first place). And good to see Messina alive. All in all, I enjoyed this arc, and I hope the third arc airs on Toonami.