1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

C&C - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - "Silver Chariot" [8/26]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by veemonjosh, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Master Knight DH

Master Knight DH Active Member

Wait, what? (looks in the quoted message) ...oh. I see. Bureaucracy strikes yet again. Good God.

2. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

I do wonder what nonsensical editorial mandates other mangakas had to put up with.

3. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

I don't see anything weird about LightLucario liking Gurren Lagann. Just because an anime girl has large breasts doesn't mean the show is misogynistic. The whole idea that all anime women should have tiny breasts because large breasted women are filthy sluts is not progressive in my opinion. Quite a few women cosplayers I know believe that their revealing outfits is liberating and that they should be proud, not ashamed of their bodies.

Another thing about Yoko is that she's actually interesting as a character. She's tough and able to kick butt, yet also nice and caring towards her compatriots and students once she becomes a teacher. I loved the female characters in Gurren Lagann. Nia was adorable as can be. The female characters in Gurren Lagann were actual characters and far more than objects.

4. Scrappy-Fan92

I never said big-breasted characters (or people in real life) were a problem. It's good that I've heard Yoko actually has a character arc and personality, but that doesn't excuse the fact that Gainax did some creepy things to one of its characters, especially one who's clearly underage at the start of the series. I only mentioned my surprise because Light Lucario has made her threshold for fanservice fairly clear in the past.

5. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

Yoko was 16 right? Pretty sure that 16 is the age of majority in Japan.

So it kinda makes sense in the context of Japan, but due to their habit of not thinking about how Westerners would react, it tends to come off as worse than they intended.

6. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I've heard a few different claims over the age of consent in Japan, so I find that fairly questionable. The youngest I've heard before was seventeen and even that I'm not so sure of. It may depend on the specific area in Japan too.

In terms of fanservice, there were some shots of Yoko that I didn't care for, particularly during her first couple of episodes and having the little mole come in between her breasts a couple of times, but I think that the reason it didn't bother me as much as it could have was because Yoko wasn't just fanservice. She obviously was designed for fanservice in mind, but she had a personality and development that wasn't just about being physically appealing. I'm not huge with fanservice in general, but it isn't necessarily a deal breaker either. If it was, there wouldn't be a lot of anime I could enjoy watching. It generally depends on how it's used and how they present the characters more than just being fanservice itself. The fanservice in Gurren Laggan usually didn't bother me too much because there was still enough going on with the characters and story to make it engaging and appealing. The fanservice in this episode was presented in a more creepy way through that short gag and had the bonus of complete tonal wipe lash too, so it was much more of a turn off for me by comparison.

7. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

From Volthoom's great information on Jolyne, Jolyne Joestar, an awesome interesting major hot female protagonist as much as her story arc Stone Ocean is pretty sweet/interesting, loved the cool new characters from it, I can't wait to see it animated though:D.Cool that Hirohiko Araki writes better on the female characters after with poor Lisa Lisa/Holly.

I'll enjoy Diamond Is Unbreakable coming soon, it looks sweet/engaging, Josuke is cool next to Joseph/Jolyne.

#87 Radical, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  8. Scrappy-Fan92

Based on what I've heard the national age is 13, but the individual municipalities and districts chose to go for higher ages at their discretion. It seems to be complicated from my perspective as an outsider: https://www.quora.com/Why-is-the-age-of-consent-so-low-in-Japan

Glad that you enjoyed Gurren Lagann and Yoko's character. I'll keep that in mind when I finally get around to watching it.

@Volthoom Yoko's age at the start is confusing. At least one production crew member implied she was 14.

9. coolkevin54

coolkevin54 New Member

Hey!

I hope you are doing well! Currently, I am working with a few individuals to organize and gather Adult Swim history. We have been picking up a lot of stuff, but I hear that you record Adult Swim. Like, I saw that you said you recorded the April Fool's Stunt of 2008. If you still have any of these and are willing to share please let me know. I'd also just love to hear your opinion on Adult Swim in general as I feel like your perspective is key with regard to oral history. Sorry if this really doesn't fit here but I didn't know how to contact you as it would not let me send you a private message.