1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

C&C - Hunter x Hunter - "Pirates × And × Guesses" [9/30]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by veemonjosh, Sep 30, 2017.

1. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Okay, this was the most disturbing Toonami episode in a while. Hisoka likes little boy butts and he totally can lie. We realize that most Greed Island players suck as most of them could not defeat lame pirates that Gon and Killua could probably defeat easily. Let's ditch the characters we just met and recruit Hisoka.

2. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

To this day, I'm shocked that Weekly Shonen Jump allowed some of these Hisoka scenes. I mean, wow.

If I were Gon or Killua, I would never team up with him...but desperate times call for desperate measures. And thank goodness Killua is around, because Gon needs someone with brain power on his side. :p

Well, you can't say that HxH is filled with fan-service, but when it does pop up, it's equal opportunity.

3. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

I personally say it skews more to the male side imo.

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that this episode was okay. I thought that the confrontation with the pirates would be a bit longer considering the team up from the previous episode, but Killua could tell that their group was outmatched. It doesn't help that the majority of the characters in their group were either one-shots or newly introduced characters. I understand that they were in desperate need for strong players, but going to someone who they knew was part of the Spiders was pretty risky.

I didn't care for the first bit of Hisoka fanservice during the Heaven's Arena arc and I definitely didn't like it here either. Hisoka seems to be a popular character in the series, but I don't really get it. He's a huge creepy pervert. They were still in a desperate spot to get Hisoka's help, but at least Biscuit realized that he wasn't telling the truth. I really could have deal without Hisoka starring at Gon and Killua's bottoms. He was already turned on by fighting Gon before, but I don't need to see more of the pedophile creep.

At least Killua was keeping an eye on Hisoka and trying to figure out whether or not he was lying. Although, the ending narration asking if he was friend or foe was kind of funny. Of course he isn't their friend. They have no reason to actually trust Hisoka and he could turn on them easily. Overall, it was an okay episode.

5. Hypeathon

Hypeathon Well-Known Member

I don't know whether there's any other character in a work of fiction you've seen that you like that features a character who shares the same role as Hisoka, but Hisoka is basically a wild card. Think anti-hero but more unpredictable, especially due to his personality. Even his sense of perversion towards Gon is hard to pin down. Like you know that he's creepy, but not why he's creepy. You know that he joined the Phantom Torupe to get to Chrollo, but not why he had that goal. But the show goes out of its way to make his motives feel mysterious. There's a video essay from a Youtuber named Aleczandxr where he explains the supposed appeal of Hisoka's character. I won't link to the video only because it seems to spoil bits and pieces of the story somewhat ahead of where we are on Toonami right now, but I'll say it's titled, "The Importance of Hisoka in Hunter X Hunter".

If you ever find time (which chances are you probably don't anyway, but still), watch it at your own discretion. Oh, and to set the record straight regarding my opinion, I can't help but like wild card characters. There are various things about Hunter x Hunter that admittedly still bother me, one case being that nothing felt implied or questioned as to why Chrollo cared so much to mercilessly steal the eyes of the Kurta clan at a Mafia auction. But Hisoka's ulterior motives being set up to be purposely clouded does intrigue me.

EDIT: Actually, there was one example of a subtle version of a wild card character that slipped my mind: Mephisto from Blue Exorcist. He runs True Cross Academy and intended to use Rin as a weapon against Satan. It's never made clear why he wants to confront Satan, but the fact he's technically a demon himself and is in a fairly high position at a school that trains students to exorcise demons makes his motives mysterious.

#25 Hypeathon, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  6. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Well-Known Member

Well, we still know who the best wild card character is.