C&C - Hunter x Hunter - "Evil Fist × And × Rock-Paper-Scissors" [9/9]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by veemonjosh, Sep 9, 2017.

1. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

[​IMG][​IMG]

Opening theme: "Departure!" by Masatoshi Ono [VERSION 4]
    Ending theme: "Reason" by Yuzu

CHARACTERS
    [​IMG]
    Gon Freecss
    Voiced by: Erica Mendez
    Gon is a young energetic boy from Whale Island who has become a Hunter to venture the world and find his father, Ging. His latest clue to locating Ging was in the form of a box with a ring and a memory card for an extremely rare video game titled "Greed Island". He has now entered the game, only to find his father is not within it, but nevertheless he is determined to play his father's game and see all that is within it. Gon is an enhancement-type Nen user, who has recently discovered how to release a destructive amount of Nen from his fist.

[​IMG]
    Killua Zoldyck
    Voiced by: Christina Vee
    Killua is the youngest son of the Zoldycks, a family of assassins known the world over. After meeting Gon, the two quickly became best friends and he’s been tagging along with him ever since, which most recently has taken them within the realm of Greed Island. Killua is a transmutation-type Nen user, having recently discovered how to absorb and control electricity.

[​IMG]
    Biscuit Krueger
    Voiced by: Tara Sands
    An expert Nen user with 40 years of experience, Biscuit is a Double Star Treasure Hunter who uses Nen to make herself appear young. Like Gon and Killua, she was hired by Battera to complete Greed Island, and is now training them to be better prepared for the trials the game presents.

[​IMG]
    Abengane
    Voiced by: Jalen K. Cassell
    A Nen Exorcist hired by Battera to complete Greed Island. He has just joined Nickes’s alliance of players.

[​IMG]
    Nickes
    Voiced by: Chris Jai Alex
    A man who was hired by Battera several years ago to complete Greed Island. He is the leader of an alliance determined to work together to clear the game.

[​IMG]
    Genthru
    Voiced by: Todd Haberkorn
    Genthru is the leader of the Bomb Devils, a trio of players on Greed Island with explosive abilities who intend to complete the game by any means, including blackmail and murder.

[​IMG]
    Bara and Sub
    Voiced by: J.D. Zelman and (unknown)
    The other two members of the Bomb Devils.

[​IMG]
    Franklin
    Voiced by: Edward Bosco
    Franklin is as dangerous as his Frankenstein’s Monster-like appearance suggests, never hesitating when it comes to murder and unfaltering in difficult situations. It could be argued he is the second-in-command of the Troupe, as he is the only one besides Chrollo who can rally the group to cooperate. Franklin is an Emitter, able to create tiny machine guns from his fingers.

[​IMG]
    Shizuku
    Voiced by: Janice Roman Roku
    Shizuku is an air-headed and has short term memory loss, which leads her opponents to often underestimate her abilities. She is a Conjurer, able to conjure a vacuum cleaner that can inhale an infinite number of nonliving objects, allowing the Troupe to commit murders and erase any evidence of the crime.

[​IMG]
    Shalnark
    Voiced by: Griffin Burns
    Shalnark is the most “friendly” member of the Troupe, always smiling and able to get along with everyone, but this is more to keep up morale than any sentimental attachment to the group. He is a Manipulator, able to control people with his cell phone and increase his own strength greatly.

[​IMG]
    Phinks
    Voiced by: David Vincent
    Phinks is short-tempered and ruthless, often getting into fights with his own teammates. However, he is also loyal to his comrades and Chrollo especially. Phinks is a master of unarmed combat, able to moved quickly and snap necks without alerting his victims to his presence. Phinks is an Enhancer, which allows him to unleash devastating punches.

[​IMG]
    Feitan
    Voiced by: Tom Bauer
    Feitan is the Phantom Troupe’s interrogated skilled in the art of torture. He is cold-natured and a man of few words, the common tongue of the world being a second language to him. His greatest skill is a combination of immense speed as well as precise swordsmanship, able to slice the heads off half a dozen men in the blink of an eye.

[​IMG]
    Kortopi
    Voiced by: Tony Oliver
    Very little is known about Kortopi. He is a Conjurer, able to create an exact duplicate of any object he touches with his left hand, which can then be tracked if he touches the original again.

[​IMG]

Episode 65: "Evil Fist × And × Rock-Paper-Scissors"
    Chapters adapted: 144-148
    Corresponding 1999 episodes: 79-80​

Last time...

After digging through the rocks to Masadora for days, Gon and Killua started the second phase of their training: learning to strategize to defeat the various monsters on Greed Island. Biscuit taught the boys how to combine their Ten and Ren into Ken. Then she taught them through combat training to use Gyo to alter their power, an ability known as Ryu. As the training continued, Biscuit talked about the theory of how rock-paper-scissors originated from martial arts, a comment which gives Gon an idea.

Meanwhile, Nickes' group gathered in a cave with 133 cards; 90 of them being the restricted cards out of 100. Suddenly, Genthru interrupted and he revealed himself to everyone as the Bomber. He then explained that he had placed a bomb on all of them, making everyone panic. Jispa attempted to attack him from behind, but was seriously injured by a Little Flower explosion, which was placed on his face by Genthru. He explained how to disarm the bomb on their bodies: they have to touch him and say "I caught the Bomber." After that, he showed the bombs placed on their body, an ability named Countdown. He stated he will trade their lives for the 90 restricted slot cards, and that he will use an alternative method if they agree. However, they will die if they do nothing when the timer reaches 0. Soon after, he left the game by using the "Leave" card.

Inside Battera's mansion, Genthru was waiting with his other men, Sub and Bara, in the basement. Puhat appeared alone, surprising Genthru who thought Nickes would come. When he requested Puhat's ring, Puhat refused to give it to him and tried to bargain with Genthru. However, Genthru quickly grabbed Puhat's neck, choking him, and used his Little Flower Nen ability, killing him instantly. Elsewhere at sea, a ship ridden by six of the Phantom Troupe members arrived at an island, an island which Shalnark claimed was Greed Island.

This time…
    The Phantom Troupe arrive on Greed Island via the real world, but are met by one of the Game Masters. Meanwhile, Killua takes a break from his training to leave the game for a bit, as the Hunter Exam is about to begin again in the real world.

Notes:
    • The chapters which this episode covers can be found in volume 15 of the manga release.
    • The first two Bluray/DVD sets are available now from Viz Media, containing the first 26 episodes.
    • The third Bluray/DVD set is scheduled for October 17th with episodes 27-50 included (double the amount of the first two sets).

2. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

Wait, Real World, game World? I missed something from the previous episodes Didn't I?

3. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

Instead of this being Sao its Westworld

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gatomon41

We have Hunter sign!

Welcome to Fantasy Island!

So after watching The Last of the Mohicans, Kon and Killua seem like fakes compared to the awesomeness of Nathanael Poe, Uncas, and Awesome Old Guy.

5. animePWNS

animePWNS Odyssey, ya see!

I figured he'd use paper on that rock.

6. Hypeathon

Hypeathon Well-Known Member

Biscuit: "He must have an awful childhood. It's amazing he's even smiling at all!"

Well, he does have his secret love interest.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gatomon41

If only escaping the Island in Lost was this easy.

8. Gatomon41

And I thought the Metagame for Magic the Gathering got heated.

9. PapaGreg

Thats why he is called the Bomber kids

10. Gatomon41

I knew that was coming, but that was still shocking o_o

11. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

So are they all dead?

12. Master Knight DH

Master Knight DH Active Member

Genthru is a miserable *****.

13. Gatomon41

The Game in Gymkata made more sense, and that included crazy old people.

Digimon? Augumon, was that you I heard?

14. Hypeathon

Hypeathon Well-Known Member

It's those creatures from the second episode of the show, only.... I think one of them was voiced by Tom Fahn, the voice of Agumon.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Magmaster12

Oh god we're not getting another clip show are we!?

16. PapaGreg

Yep also fun fact it was more gorey in the manga

[​IMG]

Also this is the light arc

17. Gatomon41

Biskie is fun. I would have followed this show more if she was here from the beginning.

18. Magmaster12

I know I've already spoiled myself and found out about what happens in the next arc if the next arc even gets aired since if they stop after Greed Island it'd be where the original anime stopped but if they do the next one they'll pretty much have to do the rest of the series.

19. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Why would Toonami drop one of its best performers after Greed Island? That would just anger a lot of fans. I think it will last as long as Toonami itself lasts.

20. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Well-Known Member

So you think Toonami's only going to last about another year and a half (or less)?