1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs on Twitter and Facebook!
    Go here to Follow Us and RT on TWITTER
    Go here to Like our page and Share the Giveaway Post on FACEBOOK
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

C&C - Hunter x Hunter - "Defend × And × Attack" [3/11]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by veemonjosh, Mar 11, 2017.

1. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

[​IMG][​IMG]

Opening theme: "Departure!" by Masatoshi Ono [VERSION 2]
    Ending theme: "Hunting For Your Dream" by Galneryus

CHARACTERS

OUR HEROES

THE NOSTRADES:

THE PHANTOM TROUPE (AKA THE SPIDERS):

[​IMG]

Episode 42: "Defend × And × Attack"
    Chapters adapted: 71-73
    Corresponding 1999 episodes: 51-52​

Last time...

This time…
    An old friend returns, and Gon attempts to earn money as the start of the underground auction draws near.

Notes:
    • The chapters which this episode covers can be found in volume 8 of the manga release.
    • The first two Bluray/DVD volumes are available now from Viz Media, containing the first 26 episodes.

2. marklungo

marklungo Greetings from Honneamise

Leorio! It's good to have you back!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. marklungo

"Southernbees." Togashi needs to hire someone to come up with names for him.

4. MasterofRoku

MasterofRoku Active Member

Killua's brother is a total NEET.
    But I don't doubt he can kill 15 people considering where he comes from.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. marklungo

Isn't she in the title sequence?

6. MasterofRoku

MasterofRoku Active Member

If you're referring to the girl with glasses, she's a member of Phantom Troupe.

7. marklungo

Yes, I realized that soon enough. Thanks, though.

8. marklungo

Why would anyone create such a destructive piece of music?

9. marklungo

Not a lot of comments made, but this was a good episode. I sympathize with Melody, and I hope her story has a happy ending.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

We get a little bit more character development for the players in this arc (there are quite a bit to juggle around, I wonder how successfully everything will fit together with the bodyguards and the Phantom Troupe, AND our mains all having a bunch of the spotlight.) Kind of shocked to see Gon beat a Phantom Troupe member in an arm wrestling match. I was expecting another Gon gets pwned moment. This lady is adorable for a Satanic thief. Also, now we have a piece of music composed by the devil? What's with all the Satanic iconography in this arc?

11. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that this episode was pretty good. It was nice to see Leorio again. I was surprised that he actually was learning about Nen, but being seemingly only at the beginning stage of the training made sense. I still wonder if he'll get a fight and if they'll ever address how he really didn't earn his license. He'll probably get a fight at some point, but I have my doubts on the later issue at this point. It was still nice to see him bouncing off the other characters. I love Gon and Killua's friendship a lot more than I thought I would, but see them interacting with another one of their friends was nice.

The plan to get more money for the auction was pretty smart and Gon being so nervous about tricking people actually worked to their advantage. I was expecting Gon to lose to the Phantom Troop member too. It just seemed like the kind of twist that would happen to mess up their plan, but he was only barely able to beat her.

It was nice to get to know more about Melody. She did have a pretty sad backstory and she seemed pretty nice with her interactions with Kurapika. Music being that destructive was rather strange though. I wonder how that could have been made when just hearing part of it caused so much damage. Kurapika and Melody had a nice moment together, so I hope that they'll become friends. Overall, it was a pretty good episode. It still felt like it was mainly setup and to be fair, with all of the different groups involved with this arc, setting it up is even more of a necessity, but I am hoping we'll be getting some more interesting developments once the auction actually starts.

12. 3ngag3

3ngag3 Member

You wanna see a truly destructive piece of music? Watch the Read or Die OVA. The whole conflict in that is over a piece of music.

13. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Death Controller

Oh, Leorio. You're so behind the curve.

Maybe they should have had Killua do the arm wrestling. Hustling would probably come more naturally to him than Gon.

Kurapika's not here to make friends, but he may have found a kindred spirit in Melody.

I think the many applications of weaponized sound would be obvious, especially in a world like this one.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ensatsu-ken

ensatsu-ken "Come and get it!"

I'm a bit surprised that nobody mentioned the extremely dark implication that Kurapika was seriously contemplating flat-out murdering Melody for a split moment. When he asks Melody if she will reveal his true motives to their employers, and when Melody vows to stay silent because she has no wish to die, it threw me off my first time seeing it (in the 1999 anime). It's even more disturbing when Melody mentions that she could sense his intentions through his heart-beat, and Kurapika doesn't even bother to deny it.

I think that it's so effective for me, as subtle as it may be, because it takes a character who we know to be a genuinely good person deep down and brings him down a level. We heard from the first episode about his goal of attaining revenge on the Phantom Troupe, but now that he's finally being faced with the reality of that, his resolve to accomplish that has clearly changed him, and not in a good way. What I particularly like about Kurapika's character arc is that it doesn't take the easy way out of anything from a writing standpoint. It'd be so easy to make this arc a revenge fantasy about a white knight hero righting all wrOngs and triumphing over pure evil, but I really respect Togashi's ability as a writer to approach this subject matter from a much more morally ambiguous viewpoint, from both sides. Neither the protagonist of this arc nor the antagonists are completely clear-cut good and evil. One side is certainly worse than the other, but in Kurapika's quest to gain justice for his fallen brethren, we as viewers are presented with a clear distinction between justice and vengeance, the latter of which is nothing more than hateful violence. A big part of Kurapika's character arc is internally struggling with this morality or lack thereof, and while this subject matter is far from original, I personally feel that this series handles it better than most other shonen series that have attempted it.

• Like Like x 1
    #14 ensatsu-ken, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  15. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Honestly, I wasn't too thrown off by Kurapika's desire to kill Melody if she did reveal his true motives to their employer. He has been more calm and collected earlier in the series, so it is a bit of a difference in that regard, but considering the morality of most of the other characters, it didn't shock me that much. One could argue that if he did try to kill her, it would be out of self-defense in a way. He clearly wants to keep his motives and his clan a secret, especially when he's around people who want to get the eyes of his clan, and telling their employer could potentially endanger him. It wouldn't be a good first reaction, but I could see the justification for it. I'm sure that Kurapika's story will provide more surprises for me as it progresses.

16. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

I think it's important to note Kurapika was formerly the guy who thoroughly refused to kill back during the Hunter Exam, even after a Phantom Troupe-wannabe who goaded him was blocking his group's progression.

And welcome back, Janice Roman Roku (formerly Janice Kawaye). Even on evil psychos, your voice is cute.