1. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

C&C - Hunter x Hunter - "Chasing × And × Waiting" [4/8]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by veemonjosh, Apr 8, 2017.

1. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

Yeah you are going to see this characteristic with a lot of characters in this series, heck Killua has a kill count in the triple digits and the kid gets along well with Gon

2. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That's true. I just find it a bit easier to believe Killua could still be friendly despite being a killer simply because he's still a child and he'll still act like one in some situations. Seeing murderous adults being friendly with each other is a bit more surprising by comparison since I would have thought that they'd be too cold and emotionally harden to be friends with other people.

3. ensatsu-ken

ensatsu-ken "Come and get it!"

I think it's important to note that Togashi is generally well-regarded for writing great villains because he writes them as characters first, and their status as villains has more to do with their antagonistic roles in the story as opposed to the rest of the world or society that they inhabit. In Yu Yu Hakusho a clear comparison is drawn between characters like Toguro and Sensui with our main protagonist Yusuke. Both were initially considered to be among "the good guys" at earlier points in their lives, yet pivotal events in their lives lead them down very different paths than Yusuke, and thus they end up as opposing forces in the story. However, what's important to take away from this is that neither of them necessarily views themselves as being evil. In their own, warped minds, they feel that they are following the right path in some regard.

Similarly, Hunter X Hunter calls into question whether anyone is truly pure good or evil with some off its character beats. Kurapika, for example, may be justified in his quest to kill the Phantom Troupe after all of the horrible things that they have done. However that shouldn't be mistaken for actual Justice. Kurapika doesn't claim to want to kill them for the countless other people that they have killed or to stop them from hurting others. He wants to kill them for brutally murdering his clan, and that's vengeance, plain and simple. You certainly wouldn't call him a villain for that, but neither does that really characterize him as an outright good person, either.

Likewise, the Phantom Troupe are clearly bad people, but they also do have compassion for one another. They treat each other as more than friends, but as family, and their only loyalties are too each other. In essence, they have meaningful bonds with one another in the same way as characters like Gon and Killua have with each other. So, they are terrible monsters on one front, but have people that they literally care about more than their own lives. When a character liked Shalnark tells Uvogin to be careful with a genuine look of concern on his face, it throws you for a loop because he's not acting like how a villain acts; he's acting like how a person acts. That's what makes these interesting characters beyond just being villains.

Don't get me wrong. Togashi does have his clearly evil characters like Hisoka who only every kes what suits his personal interests, but he's among the exceptions to the rule in this series.

Hunter X Hunter will continue to further explore the perceived morality between it's protagonists and antagonists as the story continues, and that's at least a part of why it's so highly regarded among so many people.

4. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

I don't know, Sensui was definitely screwed up but Toguro had enough self awareness to know that he was the bad guy.

5. ensatsu-ken

ensatsu-ken "Come and get it!"

Toguro came to acknowledge that he made the wrong choice in the long run, but I never got the sense that he saw himself as evil.