C&C - Hunter x Hunter - "Chase × And × Chance" [11/4]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by veemonjosh, Nov 4, 2017.

1. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

[​IMG][​IMG]

Opening theme: "Departure!" by Masatoshi Ono [VERSION 4]
    Ending theme: "Reason" by Yuzu

CHARACTERS
    [​IMG]
    Gon Freecss
    Voiced by: Erica Mendez
    Gon is a young energetic boy from Whale Island who has become a Hunter to venture the world and find his father, Ging. His latest clue to locating Ging was in the form of a box with a ring and a memory card for an extremely rare video game titled "Greed Island". He has now entered the game, only to find his father is not within it, but nevertheless he is determined to play his father's game and see all that is within it. Gon is an enhancement-type Nen user, who has recently discovered how to release a destructive amount of Nen from his fist.

[​IMG]
    Killua Zoldyck
    Voiced by: Christina Vee
    Killua is the youngest son of the Zoldycks, a family of assassins known the world over. After meeting Gon, the two quickly became best friends and he’s been tagging along with him ever since, which most recently has taken them within the realm of Greed Island. Killua is a transmutation-type Nen user, having recently discovered how to absorb and control electricity.

[​IMG]
    Biscuit Krueger
    Voiced by: Tara Sands
    An expert Nen user with 40 years of experience, Biscuit is a Double Star Treasure Hunter who uses Nen to make herself appear young. Like Gon and Killua, she was hired by Battera to complete Greed Island, and is now tagging along with them to help unlock their hidden potential while clearing the game.

[​IMG]
    Tsezguerra
    Voiced by: Jay Allen White
    A “Jackpot Hunter” who has many years of experience with Greed Island. He was hired by Battera and, along with his group, is one of the top players in the game with nearly all the cards collected.

[​IMG]
    Goreinu
    Voiced by: Edward Bosco
    A Jackpot Hunter hired by Battera to clear Greed Island. Goreinu is a Manipulator, able to create two Nen beast gorillas which he commands.

[​IMG]
    Genthru
    Voiced by: Todd Haberkorn
    Genthru is the leader of the Bomb Devils, a trio of players on Greed Island with explosive abilities who intend to complete the game by any means, including blackmail and murder.

[​IMG]
    Bara and Sub
    Voiced by: J.D. Zelman and Kyle Hebert
    The other two members of the Bomb Devils.

[​IMG]
    Abengane
    Voiced by: Jalen K. Cassell
    A Nen Exorcist hired by Battera to complete Greed Island. Recently he has gone into hiding after Genthru attempted to kill him using Little Flower; While Abengane was able to exorcise the Nen before it killed him, he’s now cursed by a Nen spirit that will stay attached to him until Genthru is killed. Unbeknownst to Abengane, the Phantom Troupe have been trying to track him down, planning to use his ability to cure Chrollo of the block placed on his Nen by Kurapika.

[​IMG]
    Hisoka Morow
    Voiced by: Keith Silverstein
    An intimidating and mysterious character, Hisoka is bloodthirsty and willing to kill whoever he has to in order to advance his questionable goals. He was a member of the Phantom Troupe, though showed no real loyalty to them and only joined to get closer to Chrollo. Currently he has taken on Chrollo’s name within Greed Island in order to locate a Nen exorcist to remove the seal placed on Chrollo by Kurapika. Hisoka is a Transmuter, able to use an incredibly elastic substance known as Bungee Gum, which in combination with other aspects of Nen can be quite devastating.

[​IMG]
    Phinks
    Voiced by: David Vincent
    Phinks is short-tempered and ruthless, often getting into fights with his own teammates. However, he is also loyal to his comrades and Chrollo especially. Phinks is a master of unarmed combat, able to moved quickly and snap necks without alerting his victims to his presence. Phinks is an Enhancer, which allows him to unleash devastating punches.

[​IMG]
    Franklin
    Voiced by: Edward Bosco
    Franklin is as dangerous as his Frankenstein’s Monster-like appearance suggests, never hesitating when it comes to murder and unfaltering in difficult situations. It could be argued he is the second-in-command of the Troupe, as he is the only one besides Chrollo who can rally the group to cooperate. Franklin is an Emitter, able to create tiny machine guns from his fingers.

[​IMG]
    Feitan
    Voiced by: Tom Bauer
    Feitan is the Phantom Troupe’s interrogated skilled in the art of torture. He is cold-natured and a man of few words, the common tongue of the world being a second language to him. His greatest skill is a combination of immense speed as well as precise swordsmanship, able to slice the heads off half a dozen men in the blink of an eye.

[​IMG]
    Machi
    Voiced by: Abby Trott
    Machi is possibly the coldest member of the Troupe, feeling no reason to hold back her opinions no matter how harsh. This is valuable to her comrades as her intuition is sharp, observations that are almost always correct. She a transmutation type who uses Nen-infused needles which can be useful for either tracking someone or repairing serious wounds like a severed limb.

[​IMG]
    Bonolenov
    Unlike his comrades, Bonolenov isn’t interested in fighting, only doing so when provoked. He is a Conjuror type.

[​IMG]
    Nobunaga Hazama
    Voiced by: Joe J. Thomas
    Nobunaga is usually calm, but has a tendency to clash with his allies. He, like his best friend Uvogin, is terrible at impromptu decision making. Nobunaga is an Enhancer, and is greatly skilled in swordsmanship.

[​IMG]
    Shalnark
    Voiced by: Griffin Burns
    Shalnark is the most “friendly” member of the Troupe, always smiling and able to get along with everyone, but this is more to keep up morale than any sentimental attachment to the group. He is a Manipulator, able to control people with his cell phone and increase his own strength greatly.

[​IMG]
    Shizuku
    Voiced by: Janice Roman Roku
    Shizuku is an air-headed and has short term memory loss, which leads her opponents to often underestimate her abilities. She is a Conjurer, able to conjure a vacuum cleaner that can inhale an infinite number of nonliving objects, allowing the Troupe to commit murders and erase any evidence of the crime.

[​IMG]

Episode 72: "Chase × And × Chance"
    Chapters adapted: 170-173
    Corresponding 1999 episode: 87​

Last time...

Acting as a combined unit, Gon, Killua, and Hisoka managed to defeat Razor at his game of dodgeball. After the match, Razor told Gon about his past, how he was a convict whom Gon’s father Ging saved and recruited to be an admin for Greed Island. The team was rewarded Strip of Beach, and which they made two clones of to throw Genthru off, giving Gon the original. Hisoka then departed, but not before hinting to the group that he had been lying about his true motives for being in the game.

Being alerted that they had obtained the elusive card, Genthru immediately contacted them, planning to spare their lives if they hand over the original, which he expected Tsezguerra to have. Now Team Tsezguerra plans to delay Genthru for three weeks, giving Killua time to heal from his dodgeball-related injuries and Gon time to train to defeat Little Flower.

This time…
    With three weeks at most left before their confrontation with Genthru, Gon continues his training with Biscuit while Killua formulates a plan. Elsewhere, the Troupe moves forward with their search for a nen exorcist, while Tsezguerra attempts to stall Genthru.

Notes:
    • The chapters which this episode covers can be found in volume 17 of the manga release.
    • Three Bluray/DVD sets are available now from Viz Media, containing the first 50 episodes.

2. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

Oh Hisoka, your depravity knows no bounds also I just love how Hisoka has a crush on Machi

3. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk The kids are all wrong

There's a bomb on you. Once you go 50 miles an hour, the bomb is armed. If you drop below 50, you blow up. What do you do?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. marklungo

marklungo Greetings from Honneamise

"What are you, some kind of freak?" Obviously this guy has never met Hisoka.

Biscuit, just because you look like a little girl doesn't mean you can act like one.

5. PapaGreg

Gon just did the spirit gun

6. Hypeathon

Hypeathon Well-Known Member

Funny you bring this up since lately I've been thinking quite a bit about what Nen types YuYu Hakusho characters would be.

7. PapaGreg

Yusuke/Kuwabara- Emitters
    Hiei: Conjurer
    Kuruma: Manipulator
    Botan: Transmuter
    Keiko:Enhancer

8. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

And more training. I see the problem with this arc is that it's called "Greed Island" but the actual video game setting has had just a little bit of bearing on the plot. This could have been called "the Gon and Killua nen train for 7 or 8 episodes" arc and advertised the content of this arc more honestly. This arc could have taken much better advantage of the video game setting. Why have Gon and Killua not used their nen to train against the video game monsters that are no longer relevant? This arc is...okay, but could have been awesome if it explored the game world more than the generic canyon land most of this arc takes place in.

9. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

While exploring the game itself would have been nice, I actually prefer the training episodes more than most of the events from the games. Aside from the dodgeball match, the Greed Island game doesn't come off that interesting to me, while the training episodes are handled pretty nicely all things considered. It also doesn't help that the main villain of the arc comes off as really boring for me. His powers does make him a threat, but without an interesting personality or storyline to make him stand out more, he's just kind of there. I still generally like the arc, but I think I like it more as a training arc than an arc set within a video game if that makes any sense.

Anyway, I thought that this episode was okay. The training was pretty nice, although being just about Gon and Killua being stuck on the sidelines recovering did make it less interesting than usual for me. Biscuit's attempt to go a higher training level for Gon was a risky move that seemingly didn't pay off. Her own power was kind of weird, although that did explain who the pink haired woman from the ending theme was. It sounds like they just gave her that power because she's a woman who would want to keep looking young, but there's probably something about it that makes it useful in combat too.

The other group just ran away from the villains for the whole episode, so that wasn't particularly interesting. Like I said before, the main villain is threatening with his bombs, but he's still pretty boring. Since they were able to give Gon all the time they could, we're probably closer to a confrontation between Gon's group and the villains. Overall, it was an okay episode.

10. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

The game is so uninteresting because its so far in the background. If it was given more depth, it could have been much more interesting.

11. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That's true. At the very least, they could have incorporated the game into the training like they seemed to be doing at the beginning of the arc. That doesn't really bother me since I think that this series does a really good job with training episodes as it is. The expansions they provide for Nen and other abilities feel like a natural progression rather than something tacked on and they don't really drag on. We basically get the highlights, so we get a good sense of progression of their skills on screen, but it also doesn't wear out its welcome. It's a nice bit of balance.