C&C - Hunter x Hunter - "Bargain × And × Deal" [10/21]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by veemonjosh, Oct 21, 2017.

1. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Opening theme: "Departure!" by Masatoshi Ono [VERSION 4]
    Ending theme: "Reason" by Yuzu

CHARACTERS
    [​IMG]
    Gon Freecss
    Voiced by: Erica Mendez
    Gon is a young energetic boy from Whale Island who has become a Hunter to venture the world and find his father, Ging. His latest clue to locating Ging was in the form of a box with a ring and a memory card for an extremely rare video game titled "Greed Island". He has now entered the game, only to find his father is not within it, but nevertheless he is determined to play his father's game and see all that is within it. Gon is an enhancement-type Nen user, who has recently discovered how to release a destructive amount of Nen from his fist.

[​IMG]
    Killua Zoldyck
    Voiced by: Christina Vee
    Killua is the youngest son of the Zoldycks, a family of assassins known the world over. After meeting Gon, the two quickly became best friends and he’s been tagging along with him ever since, which most recently has taken them within the realm of Greed Island. Killua is a transmutation-type Nen user, having recently discovered how to absorb and control electricity.

[​IMG]
    Biscuit Krueger
    Voiced by: Tara Sands
    An expert Nen user with 40 years of experience, Biscuit is a Double Star Treasure Hunter who uses Nen to make herself appear young. Like Gon and Killua, she was hired by Battera to complete Greed Island, and is now tagging along with them to help unlock their hidden potential while clearing the game.

[​IMG]
    Hisoka Morow
    Voiced by: Keith Silverstein
    An intimidating and mysterious character, Hisoka is bloodthirsty and willing to kill whoever he has to in order to advance his questionable goals. He was a member of the Phantom Troupe, though showed no real loyalty to them and only joined to get closer to Chrollo. Currently he has taken on Chrollo’s name within Greed Island in order to locate a Nen exorcist to remove the seal placed on Chrollo by Kurapika. Hisoka is a Transmuter, able to use an incredibly elastic substance known as Bungee Gum, which in combination with other aspects of Nen can be quite devastating.

[​IMG]
    Tsezguerra
    Voiced by: Jay Allen White
    A “Jackpot Hunter” who has many years of experience with Greed Island. He was hired by Battera and, along with his group, is one of the top players in the game with nearly all the cards collected.

[​IMG]
    Goreinu
    Voiced by: Edward Bosco
    A Jackpot Hunter hired by Battera to clear Greed Island. Goreinu is a Manipulator, able to create two Nen beast gorillas which he commands.

[​IMG]
    Razor
    Voiced by: George C. Cole
    Razor is one of Greed Island’s admins, having been entrusted with the Patch of Shore card and the power to eject anyone who tries to enter the island by sea. He is an Emitter, able to create glowing spheres strong enough to destroy a boat and explode someone’s head. He can also create human-like Nen beasts, which he uses in his sports matches.

[​IMG]
    Genthru
    Voiced by: Todd Haberkorn
    Genthru is the leader of the Bomb Devils, a trio of players on Greed Island with explosive abilities who intend to complete the game by any means, including blackmail and murder.

[​IMG]
    Bara and Sub
    Voiced by: J.D. Zelman and Kyle Hebert
    The other two members of the Bomb Devils.

[​IMG]

Episode 71: "Bargain × And × Deal"
    Chapters adapted: 166-170
    Corresponding 1999 episodes: 86-87​

Last time...

There was a dodgeball game. You kinda had to be there. Razor is the only one left on his team, while Gon, Killua, and Hisoka are the remaining players on their team.

This time…
    Gon’s team finish their dodgeball match against Razor, while Genthru and the Bomb Devils prepare to make their play for the final cards.

Notes:
    • Hunter x Hunter will be off next week for a marathon of Samurai Jack season 5.
    • The chapters which this episode covers can be found in volume 17 of the manga release.
    • Three Bluray/DVD sets are available now from Viz Media, containing the first 50 episodes.

2. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

Hisoka is just happy to be that close to killua and Gon

3. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

I can't believe Hunter X Hunter ripped off OK KO

4. Hypeathon

Hypeathon Well-Known Member

Hisoka: "We won because we all worked together. That's what we call a team victory."

Gon: "That... was out of character."

You and me both Gon. You and me both.

5. marklungo

marklungo Greetings from Honneamise

"Yes, well, I'm polymerized tree sap and you're an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns on its original trajectory, and adheres to you."

6. Hypeathon

Well, I mean........ Hunter x Hunter existed 20 years before O.K K.O.

7. marklungo

Neither can I, since it predates that show by several years.

8. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

Gon you're hanging out with a pedophile right now I don't think your dad is worth finding.

Also, don't tell those stories reserve that for when we're out of ideas for storylines involving Gon.

9. marklungo

EDIT: Ninja'd by Hypeathon.

10. Hypeathon

Damn it Gon, don't pull a Luffy!

11. FantasyAlchemist

The Greed Island arc is approaching its climax, but because of the Samurai Jack marathon next week we have to wait two weeks for the next episode. Does Toonami really have no other way to celebrate Halloween? Samurai Jack got more than enough screen time on this block already.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Episode 71 was pretty sweet/enjoyable,

Gon/Killua/Hisoka vs. Razor was pretty fantastic, Razor impressed that he's Ging's son was great:D.

Tsezguerra and his team surprised/impressed by Gon, Killua, and Hisoka was sweet, poor Tsezguerra injured though.

Gon/Killua/Hisoka's amazing strategies defeating Razor was amazing.

Gon saying out-of-character was so funny, Hisoka was, hahahahahaha:p, first anime character to say it, hehehe.

The dodgeball challenge was the best part next to Biscuit, my favorite epic parts of the Greed Island arc:D.

Love Razor, awesome/interesting, an amazing dodgeball player, his character development to Gon was great on showing his great backstory on first meeting Ging:D, but from Razor, Ging not in Greed Island, Gon will still search for him.

Cool that Gon/Killua get the sweet card Patch of Shore.

From Killua, Hisoka lied, typical Hisoka, hehehe, I'll enjoy more of his anti-hero ally moments the next arcs.

Genthru still a horrible scumbag on wanting the Patch of Shore card, not gonna happen.

Poor Gon to pull a Luffy let his emotions to get in the way which Tsezguerra was right about that, poor Tsezguerra's fate, but I'll root for Gon to crush Genthru, next to Goku, Kenshin, Luffy, L/Mello/Near, the Joestars, Lelouch, Eren, and Mikazuki on defeating horrible villains:).

Gon/Killua to train with Biscuit to crush Team Genthru, sweet, the awesome Greed Island arc coming to the climax.

#12 Radical, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  13. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that this episode was pretty good. The teamwork between Gon, Killua and Hisoka was impressive, but it would have been better if Hisoka wasn't a disgusting creep who clearly likes little boys. It was still a nice bit of team work and luck that they were able to win considering when Gon passed out for a moment, but that aspect about Hisoka does make it harder for me to enjoy really anything about him. Gon's comment about how Hisoka was acting out of character for that one line was pretty funny though.

At least they won the game, got the card they needed and Gon learned a bit more about his father. I don't know if Gon's father being completely calm about Gon facing off against a convicted murderer in his game was a sign of faith in his son, an indication that he doesn't care much about Gon outside of being a reflection of himself, or a bit of both. I kind of forgot about the villains for this arc since the dodgeball game was more intense and exciting than most of the virtual reality game.

Gon's reaction towards finding out that the other members of their party were most likely killed was fitting. He was being reckless, stupid and selfish considering how injured both he and especially Killua were after their dodgeball game, but it fit with his character. At least they'll have some time to recover and think of a strategy to defeat the villains. Overall, it was a pretty good episode.