1. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

C&C - DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters - "Videl Battered - Gohan's Fury Reaches It's Limit!" [4/8]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by Gold Guy, Apr 8, 2017.

1. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Finally that finished.

2. animePWNS

animePWNS It's here!

Reruns suck, so Toonami no longer does them in earlier hours.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Always never quite right

Videl is basically turned from an action girl to a housewife on this show. She starts out tough, no-nonsense, the badass daughter of the man who (allegedly) saved the world, but then...first Gohan comes to town and horns in on her world-saving, then she gets the overpowered muscle-headed Spopovich in the ensuing tournament and gets her ass kicked six ways to Sunday, from what I remember of the original series she doesn't participate in any more fights...next thing we know she's in Dragon Ball Super having Gohan's baby.

She's treated worse that any female character in Bleach or Naruto. At least most of the girls on those shows still participate in fights. Videl basically exists to be domesticated.

Shonen authors. Cannot write good female characters. PERIOD. END OF SENTENCE.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Well was this all because Satin embarrassed him in the previous tournament, why did Spopovich have to take this far? To get back at Satin?

5. marklungo

marklungo Greetings from Honneamise

That whole scene was just relentlessly ugly and pointless. And Mr. Satan is extremely stupid in this episode.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. jaylop97

I would have loved to see Satan against Spopovich.

7. animePWNS

animePWNS It's here!

Geez, Satan, your daughter is brutally injured and you're lecturing her about boys?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. jaylop97

Its been years afterall for Korin.

9. Kitschensyngk

Krillin, she's seriously hurt. Don't be a dick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. jaylop97

Now i understand why he was evil this time.

11. marklungo

marklungo Greetings from Honneamise

Why is this stupid tournament still going on after what just happened? And why are the characters acting like they've forgotten the horror they've witnessed?

12. Kitschensyngk

OH YEAH. She gets beaten to within a CENTIMETER OF HER LIFE and it's HER FAULT.

AND WHY IS THIS TOURNAMENT STILL GOING?!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. animePWNS

animePWNS It's here!

A storm is coming...

14. jaylop97

Yajirobe surely ages little.

15. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

I know how you feel, but to be fair, Gohan didn't fair much better either. And still Videl is best girl, than again that just shows the lack of good and likable female characters in this series.

16. DBTrilogy100

DBTrilogy100 Member

Today's episode picks up where the previous one left off with Spopovitch starting to fight back against Videl. Spopovitch actually saves Videl from a ring out as he wants to continue to fight her but it looks like she might loose if she can't get up in 10 seconds. Despite the warnings of the Z-Fighters and even the World Tournament Announcer, Videl refuses to give up and Spopovitch continues to take sadistic pleasure in beating her to a pulp. Having enough of the cruelty, Gohan powers up to Super Saiyan which causes his bandana & cape to come off and seems to have piqued Shin & Kibito's interest. Before Gohan can do anything though, Yamu actually orders Spopovitch to end the match already and he does so. Goku offers to use his Instant Transmission to get some Senzu Beans from Korin to help speed up Videl's recovery.

Hercule/Mr. Satan/Mark is horrified and enraged to find out that his daughter is in the infirmary...he's also not fond of the possibility of Videl liking Gohan. Hercule/Mr. Satan/Mark recalls how he easily beat Spopovitch in the previous tournament and is baffled by how Spopovitch became so strong, all while revealing Spopovitch wanted revenge on Hercule/Mr. Satan/Mark. As the next match is being prepared, Spopovitch & Yamu hold on to a strange device with a scale on it. The episode ends with Korin giving Goku a bag full of Senzu Beans and warning him to be on his guard for something horrible.

Many fans consider the fight between Videl and Spopovitch to be one of (if not) the most brutal fight(s) in the franchise and the scary thing is the fight is even more brutal in the manga. Shin & Kibito's interest in Gohan's Super Saiyan transformation and the strange device Spopovitch & Yamu are using helps to further the underlying mystery going on and I think it will be interesting to see the reactions of the new viewers once this mystery is revealed to them.

Based on what I have read, it appears as though "Beedel" is one of the possible ways to romanize the kanji for her name. I also recall reading that "B" & "V" are treated interchangeably in Japan, similar to how Japan use "L" & "R" interchangeably.

#36 DBTrilogy100, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  17. Master Knight DH

TBF, other media forms do not really have it that much better either, because unfortunately, Most Writers Are Male. The irony is, plenty of works aren't going to be nice to Mighty Glaciers, which the male gender tends to be in comparison to females if we're going by stereotypes.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Japan in general is Innocently Insensitive, and it's not just limited to anime/manga. How about the waifu plague that plagues Fire Emblem as of late. Or the problems in Metroid Other M that I'm not going to say more about out of fear of the fabric of reality.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. A.Magik

A.Magik Active Member

I remember playing Sailor Moon's "My Only Love" during the climax of this fight in one of the broadcasts last decade, to imply Gohan's realization of his feelings for Videl.

19. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky "BLATHERING BLATHERSKITE!"

HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?! (Never mind I really don't want to know)

For a while I actually thought Banagher (Gundam Unicorn) was pronounced Vanagher.