1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

C&C - DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters - "Hold Majin Buu In Check! Limit: Super Saiyan 3!" [9/23]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by Gold Guy, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Worse than one of those little blue crunchy things

So now he's a Super Dee Duper Saiyan?

2. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

TAKE SOME STOOL SOFTENER ALREADY, GOKU!!!

3. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Too bad Super Saiyan 1.5 isn't a thing anymore.

4. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

I know the VA throat was sore as hell after that.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

5. jaylop97

There goes Tien somehow avoiding to open his 3 eyes.

6. CNFan1995

CNFan1995 Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Toonami Fan.

The original DBZ Bruce Faulconer version was way better.

7. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Worse than one of those little blue crunchy things

So his plan is to just float there screaming at them?

Too bad Majin Buu likes candy, because he's about to get wailed on by a bunch of bananas.

8. jaylop97

And now his eyebrows are gone. That is the weirdest thing of SS3.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Tell me again why Goku didn't go to Namek to get their Dragon Balls and revive himself and Vegeta, given how powerful his Super Saiyan 3 form is supposed to be?

10. jaylop97

And die again the revive would be too much of a risk.

11. DBTrilogy100

DBTrilogy100 Member

Picking up where we last left off, Goku tries to assure Bulma that they can use the Dragon Balls to wish back Buu's victims but she admits that the Dragon Radar is still at Capsule Corporation and its destruction will make their plans fail. Piccolo adds that 4 months of rest will mean Shenron will only be able to grant 1 wish rather than 2 wishes even though Shenron can now grant a maximum of 3 wishes (I think the Regular DBZ Dub might have kept the maximum of 2 wishes from Cell Saga partially for simplification purposes). Goku instructs Trunks to get the Dragon Radar while he distracts Majin Buu & Babidi.

Thanks to Instant Transmission, Goku appears before Babidi & Buu, admits that he and Vegeta were partially at fault for Buu's return and says the boys are preparing to confront them all while Babidi decides to telepathically broadcast the upcoming fight. Goku also points out that Buu shouldn't let Babidi order him around since he's more powerful than the wizard but Babidi tries to keep the demon from thinking for himself. Goku then powers up to Super Saiyan 2 but Babidi points out Vegeta already used that form and failed, leading Goku to say he will go even further beyond. Meanwhile, Hercule/Mr. Satan/Mark tries to assure a crowd of people that he will begin some intense training to challenge the demon. Trunks also stops heading to Capsule Corporation from being distracted and Goku has to yell at him to hurry up and try to get Babidi to forget about the outburst.

Goku then goes back to his Normal Form and proceeds to give the duo a lesson in Super Saiyan Forms, this is also the moment when "Super Saiyan 2" receives its official name. With an all mighty yell, Goku powers up which causes natural chaos across the Earth; all while King Kai tries to persuade Goku not to as it's too much of a strain. At long last, Goku transforms into Super Saiyan 3 and admits he's not used to making this transformation. All the Z-Fighters are amazed by this power, even Gohan can feel it with Shin & Kibito on the Planet of the Kais. Majin Buu is still confident in himself and the episode ends with SS3 Goku starting his fight with the demon.

I remember the Super Saiyan 3 Transformations being one of my favorite moments when I saw it through Regular DBZ on the Old Toonami; I also asked myself what Raditz would look like if he went Super Saiyan 3. The music used here was great but I also still liked the Faulconer Productions Music that was used in the Regular DBZ Dub. You have to admire Sean Schemmel's dedication to the yelling even though it really hurt his throat. Super Saiyan 3 is a well known example of Akira Toriyama improvising the story as many questioned why Goku didn't use it to finish Majin Vegeta (the strain the transformation causes being the "in-universe" reason to explain that). I am interested in comparing the DBZ Kai Version of Goku's fight with Majin Buu with the Regular DBZ Version.

#31 DBTrilogy100, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  12. Mr. Anime

Mr. Anime Active Member

Because such a thought would never occur to Akira Toriyama while writing this arc? Remember this is a guy who has to reread his own manga every few years to remember his own plot points and characters. In many ways, he is a real-life Goku.

13. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Definitely understandable, given the original plan for how the arc was supposed to end

14. QWER5

QWER5 Member

You say that as if it's a bad thing. A lot of writers do that, you shouldn't honestly expect them to remember every detail of something they've been working on for years.

15. SuperFan2024

SuperFan2024 Shoo fly.

Actually, while working on the Buu Arc, Toriyama actually hadn't planned out the full story yet. Toriyama was just writing whatever came to his head or whatever he thought made the most sense to contribute to the story.

And, if i'm not mistaken, this is the first episode of The Final Chapters that uses music from Battle of Gods.

16. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

Shouldn't Goku have used Instant Transmission with Trunks to get the Dragon Radar, then go to Babidi?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Suddenly, the messiness of this arc makes a lot more sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. SuperFan2024

SuperFan2024 Shoo fly.

Dragon Ball logic. It's best to ignore ;).

Yeah, this arc was pretty chaotic compared to the previous arcs and Super's arcs. We had a tournament, evil jinns, wizards, demons, the fusion technique frankly coming outta nowhere, Super Saiyan Trunks AND Goten, a Super Saiyan transformation even beyond the Super Saiyan transformation that was beyond the transformation of a normal Super Saiyan (Super Saiyan 3),
    Yep, just madness.

Even so, I can't lie, this arc is one of my favorite arcs of Dragon Ball because of the amount of adventure and mystery the arc had. Mystery and adventure is one of the main things that makes Dragon Ball so fun and interesting, and i'm glad Toriyama (who probably didn't even know himself what he was doing), gave us such an arc that was jam packed with it.