C&C - Astro Boy - "The Birth of Astro Boy" [7/13]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by Zach Logan, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Zach Logan

Zach Logan We are Maji!

Let's get this started.

2. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING Moderator

Aside from the episode being on AS Video, the episode airs late Saturday/early Sunday morning at 2 am Eastern.

3. D Dubbs

D Dubbs Wish Upon A Star

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how well an old school anime will do in the ratings at a more watchable time.

I am looking forward to watching it. I wonder if AS will ever get around to airing all 193 episodes. It should take us about 4 years at this pace...:sweat:

4. Space Cadet

I don't think they dubbed all 193 episodes though.:sweat:

5. D Dubbs

D Dubbs Wish Upon A Star

Hmm, I guess you're right. Only 104 were dubbed. I wonder if that means some episodes just weren't aired or some were spliced together or something else. Whatever happened, 89 episodes is a rather large amount of episodes to skip. It's almost half the series.

EDIT: Whoa, just noticed this. Apparently the episode on AS Video is 26 minutes in length. AS will probably have to edit some out then, I suppose.

Then again, it is airing at 2 a.m. so maybe they can leave it uncut.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2007
  6. Golgo13

Golgo13 Sup?

GO GO GO ASTRO BOY!

This is proof enough that Adult Swim is much better then Cartoon Network for making such radical scheduling. Makes me pine for the days when they'd show Speed Racer weeknights at 10.

7. Ace Goodheart

Ace Goodheart Strong, Digilent, Fearless

*Inevitable Ace Goodheart appaerance*

Or the days when "G-Force" aired 6 days a week WITH late-night encores to boot! Or when CN was testing the waters for what today is entirely Adult Swim territory-late-night weekends, and aired (Streamline Pictures dubbed, chopped up for time and content) a block of anime movies in 1995! How's about them apples?

By the time "Speed Racer" came on in the Spring of 1996 however, CN had already knocked "G-Force" from it's brief crown and disowned it, burying it on late nights and weekends only which is strange seeing as Speed Racer was not only an older (1967 as opposed to 1986) dub but an older show. Apparently it was a big winner for CN as they aired several all-day marathons of it, specifically before the premiere of the Dexter's Lab episode "Mock 5". After "The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest" and later Toonami premiered though, Speed Racer too was buried but at least kept it's primetime slot for a while later. By the summer of '97, "G-Force" was airing only ONCE a week on CN- Saturday afternoon during the weekend "Super Adventures" block. I think that when CN debuted it's then-new "Powerhouse" look and motif that summer was when "G-Force" was finally canned as they wouldn't bother creating new bumpers for it..........hasn't been available in it's entirety in the U.S since.

Rant notwithstanding, I look forward to seeing the U.S's first anime and Mr. Fred Ladd's first anime project. A question about "Gigantor", how many episodes of "Iron Man 28" were dubbed for it, and did AS ever air all of the available episodes? And how about "Voltron", have they pulled the same stunt Toonami did a decade earlier and only aired the Lion episodes? Man, people sure hated those Vehicle eps didn't they?

8. D Dubbs

D Dubbs Wish Upon A Star

They dubbed 52 episodes of Gigantor and I believe AS did get around to airing all of them. For Voltron, AS's run actually was shorter than Toonami's, as AS only got to episode 50.

9. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

They mostly skipped a random episode here or there, and then skipped large chunks towards the end.

Also, IIRC, all the episodes except for this first one were dubbed in some strange order.

10. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter! Moderator

Wow! This show is awesome! I think it even exceeds Gigantor. Instead of a bunch of self-contained episodes, this actually has a story! And a well-done origin to boot.

Some of that animation is actually quite funny to watch.

11. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

I read somewhere years ago that NBC supposedly pulled the series off the air prematurely due to violence in later episodes. It would be interesting if true.

12. Dark Fact

Dark Fact Preaching evil since '04

Is the infamous "power up" scene left intact in this episode or is it the permacut episode?

13. Space Cadet

This talkback cannot be complete without a Chris Wood, Beatdigga, Leaping Larry Jojo and other posters who are fans of anime before 1990(but still like newer anime titles).

14. Beat

Beat Retired

Yeah, but I'm not watching it until Sunday.

This is stuff my dad watched. What is AS's obsession with showing stuff from the 60's era? (I suppose it makes as much sense as Pee Wee) Is 8 Man next?

15. Space Cadet

Probably because the people at WS were fans of Astro Boy and when the opportunity arised, they decided to air it. Essentially AS is what CN used to be: A place where shows you wouldn't think would air again, do air again.

That, and it seems Boomerang didn't want to air it.

16. Space Cadet

You mean the part where Astro helps one of the robots power up by putting his volts into her "hip?" Then yeah, they kept it.

Also, what is "permacut episode?"

Did this keep the original Japanese music? It looks like it from the credits.

17. Ace Goodheart

Ace Goodheart Strong, Digilent, Fearless

I'd say AS one-ups the pre-Toonami CN in some aspects, as even the old-school CN shyed away from Black & White programming. I read (via ancient, archived usenet postings) that CN once attempted to air Black & White shorts on primetime early in their life, and that subsequently their ratings plummeted. I believe after that they never aired B&W programming before 11PM, to this day. Doesn't help that Turner's library of B&W animated programming is really short and repetitive, which is why they removed their overnight staple "Late Night Black & White" many times during it's CN run. Hell, it was just this year that they finally gathered some courage to bring it over to Boomerang.

18. ChibiGoku

ChibiGoku Something Not Quite Right

From what I remember, yes.

19. livingfruitvirus

livingfruitvirus No! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

They aired black and white programs before 11 PM back then. They may not have been hour long chunks but they existed. Cartoon Network didn't have enough ratings back then for there to be much of a difference. Between 1992 and 1994, they were 100% acquired programs, and their one original series til 1996 was made on the cheap.

20. danreyes1

danreyes1 New Member

Oddly enough I enjoyed this old show a whole lot more than the vast majority of Adult Swim.