Butch Hartman, where does it go from here?

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Lord Beckett, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Lord Beckett

Lord Beckett Skepticals.

Seems like the heat is rising for Butch Hartman. The internet is once again ablaze at another one of his dumb decisions. This isn't anything new. He's been a juicy target ever since he made things like Poof and especially Sparky. When you make really dumb decisions that are EASY to hate, then really dumb critics who need something easy to hate will gladly do it. See TvTropes and those places. Yet "killing" Timmy, assigning Cosmo and Wanda to two fans who won a contest to get them (Ok, not really, but the actors of those kids were walk-on fans), these are just extremely shocking and stupid moves, while some argue the movies aren't "canon" you have to understand that the unwashed masses don't see it like that, especially when Nick was advertising it as the FOP finale (again).

From what we know, his recent pilots from Nickelodeon were rejected. Why? Well, look at the promo posters for each and you'll see they are just rehashes of TUFF Puppy or FOP again. He doesn't have an original bone in his body anymore.

This Fairly Odd Month was an embarrassment for Nick and Tickle Me Elmer. Cruddy ratings all the way through. The episodes ranged from "boring" to "insulting" with little good in between. You've heard all the rantings and ravings by me and other dedicated FOP fans I'm sure in the other FOP talkback threads, so I'll spare you another rant about the limited character selections and unfunny jokes and what not. Point is, neither old or young fans enjoyed the new FOP season, and as a result Nick got its butt handed to them all month, they were lucky Disney was nice enough to not air Gravity Falls up against it because FOP may have gotten slaughtered. The fault for this lies on Hartman's feet. He's not making good cartoons anymore, he's dead weight.

Where does Hartman go from here? I don't think FOP will be renewed another season, especially not after the Fairly Odd Summer did so mediocre after a full month and several full weeks of premieres. More importantly, where did it all go wrong? I don't know mean FOP specifically, but rather Hartman himself, when did he wake up and decide he wants to ruin his own shows?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2014
  2. Pac-Attack

Pac-Attack Yeah, pre-order that's a good idea!

*watches Nick renew FOP for another season*

3. Lord Beckett

Lord Beckett Skepticals.

They'd have to be really, really stupid to do that at this point, but desperation leads to stupid things, and these poor ratings for the network as a whole might vindicate this awful FOP month to an extent.

Is it season 10, 11, or 12 though? Hartman seems to like splitting his production orders into multiple seasons arbitrarily to make it seem like he's done more work.

4. J21697

J21697 New Member

The summer burn off of episodes shows that Nick has no intention of bringing the show back, and with just a few episodes left, and no announcement whatsoever about a renewal, the show is basically done.

They have tons of animated programming coming up, and space needs to be made. I think it was obvious from the start though that FOP was going to get the shaft.

5. Lord Beckett

Lord Beckett Skepticals.

Good... gooood.... but what about Hartman? What's his future at Nick, if he has one at all? That's what I'm wondering here. The man has been eerily quiet about any future projects except for hyping up more potential live movies, which probably won't involve Drake Bell and thus will lack that extra punch in the ratings. Would anyone want to work with the man knowing what ideas he's put forth in his own cartoons? I'm not sure any of his fellow CalArts or Frederator alumni would, but there might be a desperate head or two, I'm sure Scott Fellows would welcome him with open arms onto Johnny Test.

6. alfa9delta

alfa9delta Hey, Where's Perry ?

At this point, even I hope for FOP to be canceled. However, I've seen a lot of people predicting FOP's dead end before, even it's storyboard artist said on his blog they were expecting the show not to return, and then, surprise: It was renewed for Season 9 with it's largest episode order EVER.
    So, yeah, the show seems pretty dead after this July of shame, but we don't know yet...after all, it's Hartman and Nickelodeon we're talking about.

7. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Active Member

Didn't Johnny Test was cancelled and now there'll be only reruns for now on?

And speaking of desesperate heads, there might be some others at CN, Hub or Teletoon in Canada who might welcome him. o_O Scott Fellows might have his own mountain of troubles.

8. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Active Member

I've noticed Butcher Hartman's shows start going downhill when characters start disappearing and it's wasn't just FOP.TUFF Puppy had characters that started disappearing around the same time the show started doing bad, Some of Snaptrap's henchmen vanished without an explanation.
    Do you have a link to these promo posters?I truly hope CN or Disney won't be dumb enough to give Butcher a chance on their stations.CN already have one horrible show and that's Johnny Test.
    Johnny Test is on it's sixth season with a seventh and hopefully final season still to air.

9. pacman308

pacman308 New Member

Has Hartman been feeling any heat for the last LA movie and S9 in general? I'm certainly hoping he's getting it good and fierce. He had to have alienated just about every TFOP fan out there with that scumbag move, including myself. But I honestly don't think he'd care anymore if his career is indeed finished. But if there is any chance that he does, I hope he realizes the damage he did to himself, his reputation and his creation. What Hartman did was unforgivable.

That being said, I'm now in the firm belief he let his religion influence the final scene in the "Fairly Off Summer" movie. Timmy dying so horribly only to be resurrected Christ-like as a fairy is too much to be coincidental. Also, he did it so heavy handed that has shocked and saddened us all as fans. Well, those who care. Besides taking the same idea from MacFarlane in killing a major character off, he used a well known religious symbolism in Christianity to end that movie in a terrible way. It may have worked in other shows if done properly. However, TFOP isn't the show to do it on. And Timmy Turner is absolutely not the character to do it with.

If Nick decides to renew his contract for one more season, that's their call. But I hope they made it clear to Hartman to shape up and unf**k himself with TFOP or start looking for a new career elsewhere. Either way, I do hope Nick buys the rights to TFOP and make plans on a proper reboot in the future. Seeing that the PPG show is returning as a reboot in 2016 as have other shows (MLP and TMNT), I can't see why TFOP couldn't go on the same path.

10. Lord Beckett

Lord Beckett Skepticals.

Maybe... that seems like a bit of a stretch to say that Timmy being resurrected with special powers is Hartman trying to make him Jesus. But I've long since tried to stop delving into the mind of that madman.

Either way, it's an insult to viewers no matter what their religion or creed is. Timmy, played by Drake Bell, both beloved Nickelodeon stars, dies a pathetic and awkward death, and becomes the fairy to a love interest character that Hartman can't seem to decide whether he wants on his show or not. It was a good idea, giving Tootie a fairy, except viewers wanted it on the cartoon and because she was suffering child worse than Timmy, not because she was a happy adult and needed help doing whatever Daniella Monet's forced-into-the-movie PETA idea was nor did they want to the fairy to literally be Timmy (this might've been a cute idea for an 11 minute episode, not the presumed finale of Fairly Oddparents). Hartman failed to seize the initiative with this, just like he did with Anti-Cosmo or Trixie's comic book obsession or other plot points that were lost, it's not like us FOP fans weren't hounding him on his forum and twitter and elsewhere to make these things happen, he just ignored fans and pretended that he actually was "giving fans what they wanted" when he farted out Sparky or made a bazillion Crocker and Dad episodes.

If FOP gets rebooted, I'd rather it centered around the human cast they built (Timmy, either "T" girls, Vicky, Chester, AJ, any of the school kids,) than the fairies or just Timmy's wacky terrorizing of the world with magic. The fairies have mostly been joke characters aimed at "Adult Audiences" like Billy Crystal Ball and other crap from the 60s and 70s, except those particular "adults" are so old their kids are now the adult audience. The goldfish family is okay, Jorgen is okay, but please let's stay away from Fairy World for a while, its cringe central. Also keep Hartman and his hack season 9 writers out of the building, out of the state... send him on a paid extended vacation to Fiji... just get them out.

11. pacman308

pacman308 New Member

Well, the similarities are there, though Timmy the fairy can't hardly be looked as Jesus-like. The fact that Timmy dies and is resurrected as a fairy is too coincidental IMHO. Maybe I'm reaching here, but I think there has to be some merit to this.
    I know I was offended by it as a fan, as a Catholic and as a general human being.

There were tons of great ideas for good episodes Hartman missed. Timmy being made a fairy for Tootie temporarily would've been golden. Having more Mom centered episodes than with Dad. More episodes that center on Chester and A.J. Anti-Cosmo and Anti-Wanda developed more as characters. Trixie's closet geekiness. Veronica's secret crush on Timmy. Tootie being shown as more than simply Timmy's stalker. Maybe even seeing Vicky having a softer side underneath her evil exterior. So many ideas not used. Its almost sinful of Hartman to overlook them ideas.

I'd go with Timmy interacting more with the established cast of humans and a limited time with fairies like Jorgen and the Tooth Fairy. That's been sorely missing since Post-Poof episodes.

I wholeheartedly agree. Nick has to make a decision. If TFOP is to stay as a Nick program with some kind of future, Hartman and his gang of amateur hack writers and storyboard artists have got to go. At this point, a monkey can pull a better script out of its ass.

12. WBCartoonFan

WBCartoonFan aka toonstar4youtv

while i can agree with you, LB.

seems like Nick burn off those ne eps

oh and Timmy as a fairy?

worst. twist. ever.

way to mess it up, Butch.

13. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Active Member

Butcher does seem to see himself as a God with that ego of his.
    I wouldve liked more development with Vicky like with Snowbound, and I would've liked seeing her more nicer to her sister since that would mke sense as to why Tootie never received any Godparents.Trixie's tomboyish-side was big improvement from the usual snobby rich girl who the protagonist loves, So Hartman should've given us more of that.
    Jorgen should be more of a villain like he was in the first couple of seasons too.

14. pacman308

pacman308 New Member

Hartman is not God. God doesn't make mistakes. Pride goes before the fall, Elmer!

Jorgen was a great villain. The mean fairy bully always threatening to take Cosmo and Wanda away from Timmy. That is, until Elmer made him into a clueless goofball.

15. alfa9delta

alfa9delta Hey, Where's Perry ?

Ironic that Hartman had a cameo in the movie as "Crazy Guy", and Crocker points at him and says "this guy has a problem!" xD

16. rockorockorocko

rockorockorocko Active Member

Not sure why Nick couldn't squeeze the final three episodes left before the movie, but for all intents and purposes Hartman is done on Nick and that movie is the finale. If he has ANY sense of closure, that should be it - and you hope Nick knows that. (Although I guess you never know....)

It was a great run in terms of longevity, but yes, this show needs to be put to rest. Not like it'll be off air, I'm sure FOP will remain on schedule for awhile, especially with 26 Season 9 episodes left to exhaust. But Nick needs to move on and I think Hartman's "style" is tired as well. Still, hard to argue against FOP being one of the most successful franchises Nick has or will ever have.

So at least he has "that".

17. pacman308

pacman308 New Member

But what a terribly lousy way to end a once great show?

If Hartman had any sense AT ALL, he would've done something much better than what he gave. At least to give something back to the fans who helped bring him his fame and success. As far as I'm concerned, he doesn't deserve them.

18. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Tawt I Taw A Puddy Tat

Even if Hartman moves to another network to produce a cartoon, it STILL would have the same dumb humor used in The Fairly OddParents and T.U.F.F. Puppy. After all, this is Hartman we're talking about.

I may not be a FOP fan, but his show needs to go adiós, like now.

Let's face it, Hartman's style is outdated now. He might as well take a vacation and quit making cartoons for awhile if said cartoon is going to use the same characters, unfunny lines, forced gags, and dumb humor.

That's why other talented creators like Alex Hirsch are considered great examples of animation today. Take a look at Gravity Falls, it has clever writing, hidden innuendo, characters that aren't annoying, great animation, character development, doesn't rely on toilet humor and it applies to both kids and adults, something shows like FOP and Johnny Test don't have. Hartman just tries to hard to make FOP look like a washed-out kids show lately with all the unneeded silliness and what not.

As for FOP itself, it won't get renewed (Nick would be REALLY, REALLY stupid to renew it for another season), it needs to end. A proper one hour series finale would be fine, but otherwise that's it for FOP. Nick needs to move on and create more top-quality cartoons for some room. FOP's popularity is starting to wear off thanks to Crocker, Sparky, Timmy's Dad, Foop and Cosmo (the most overused and hated characters on the show based on comments from this forum). And Nick burned all 16 episodes and a movie in one month, possibly an attempt to get rid of this show as soon as possible.

Hartman and his army of hack writers are basically done with Nick. I don't know if he's making another cartoon in the future, but it's time for him and his cartoon to get some rest.

19. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier DISGRACEULLY Beating People Up

Kill this show with fire - and make sure Hartman and his cronies NEVER, EVER, find work of any kind in this industry EVER AGAIN.
    I mean it! Go away - No more immaturity! No more mean - spirited nonsense! No more bad voice acting! No more condescension! NO MORE!

20. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Tawt I Taw A Puddy Tat

I completely agree with you, dude. This show is basically dead and it's too overrated. FOP was decent from the start IMO, but now it's on a train wreck mess like that trash Johnny Test.