1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Burn To Fight! The King of Fighters XIV (Pre-Release)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Grenzer, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Grenzer

Grenzer This is Kyokugen Karate... 2016 Style

NA Release Date: August 23rd, 2016

I remember KoF XIII had a decent talkback thread here back in 2010, but things have been quiet on the newest entry to SNK's flagship series.

XIV had an underwhelming reaction among the gaming community back in late Summer 2015 because of the unpolished state of the game footage that was released. Since then, SNK has put out a number of increasingly impressive trailers, and those who have played demos of the unfinished game at various industry shows and gaming tournaments have had very good things to say about the gameplay.

So let's get to the big stuff:

50 characters for the initial release, all on disc and playable (48 regular characters divided into 16 teams and 2 Bosses). Over 19600 possible team combinations can be made.

[​IMG]

This image leaked on Tues shows all 50 characters. It lines up with a leak from last year that gave the entire roster and has matched every official reveal so far.

Update: SNK's website has revealed the 48 regular characters.

http://www.snkplaymore.co.jp/us/games/kof-xiv/teams/

Team 01 : China Team ( Shun'Ei ('Demon' Boy, new saga protagonist), Tung Fu Rue, Meitenkun ('Pillow' Boy, New) )

Team 02 : Japan Team ( Kyo Kusanagi, Benimaru Nikaido, Goro Daimon )

Team 03 : Fatal Fury Team ( Terry Bogard, Andy Bogard, Joe Higashi )

Team 04 : Art of Fighting Team ( Ryo Sakazaki, Robert Garcia, Yuri Sakazaki )

Team 05 : K' Team ( K', Maxima, Kula Diamond )

Team 06 : Kim Team ( Kim Kaphwan, Gang-Il (Kim's Master, New), Luong (Gang-Il's Wife, New) )

Team 07 : Villains Team ( Chang Koehan, Choi Bounge, Xanadu (Newcomer Prisoner) )

Team 08 : Women Fighters Team ( Mai Shiranui, King, Alice Garnet (New, a fangirl of Terry Bogard) )

Team 09 : Ikari Team ( Ralf Jones, Clark Still, Leona Heidern )

Team 10 : Psycho Soldier team ( Athena Asamiya, Sie Kensou, Chin Gentsai )

Team 11 : Yagami Team ( Iori Yagami, Mature, Vice )

Team 12 : Mexico Team ( Ramon, Angel, King of Dinosaurs (Tizoc in a new mask with updated moveset) )

Team 13 : Official Invitation Team ( Mian (Chinese Theater Mask Girl), Sylvie Paula Paula (Teenage Idol Singer with Electric Powers, New), Kukri (Mysterious Hooded Man with Sand Powers, New) )

Team 14 : South Town Team ( Geese Howard, Billy Kane, Hein (Butler Bodyguard, New) )

Team 15 : South America Team ( Bandeiras Hattori (Brazilian Ninja, New), Nelson (Handicapped Cyborg Boxer, New), Zarina (Pretty Latin Girl, New) )

Team 16 : Another World Team ( Nakoruru† (New), Love Heart (New), Mui Mui (New) )

Mid-Boss : ( Antonov (Russian Billionaire*) )
    Final-Boss : ( 最终BOSS人形态非人类物种 (Non-Human Species‡) )

*Confirmed by SNK on 4-25-16.
    †From Samurai Shodown
    ‡An Alien/Monster who can control time and space.

Now, the trailers. I'll post backwards from the most recent one to show you just how far this game has come in eight months.

Invitation:

Classic Kyo DLC:

13th:

12th:

11th:

10th: <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GF_MK0XJ-EY?list=PLpHVHGwF8uJf900bPutCmv0YADoaX4XO8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9th: <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7luY-SuRWcc?list=PLpHVHGwF8uJf900bPutCmv0YADoaX4XO8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8th: <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BFoRi6dD4oo?list=PLpHVHGwF8uJf900bPutCmv0YADoaX4XO8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7th: <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GijutwhhLw0?list=PLpHVHGwF8uJf900bPutCmv0YADoaX4XO8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6th: <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2nn7MzYNqJg?list=PLpHVHGwF8uJf900bPutCmv0YADoaX4XO8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5th: <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6Cpaw_Put24?list=PLpHVHGwF8uJf900bPutCmv0YADoaX4XO8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4th: <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8DpiWZin7i4?list=PLpHVHGwF8uJf900bPutCmv0YADoaX4XO8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3rd: <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AM5s-Ad4e6s?list=PLpHVHGwF8uJf900bPutCmv0YADoaX4XO8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2nd: <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cH6nCwq9RuI?list=PLpHVHGwF8uJf900bPutCmv0YADoaX4XO8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1st: <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Q1anpA7ZTvQ?list=PLpHVHGwF8uJf900bPutCmv0YADoaX4XO8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As you can see, the game has come a LOOOONG way from last September. Now good fighting games are not hard to come by in 2016 (new Guilty Gear, Killer Instinct, BlazBlue among others) and Street Fighter V despite criticisms about light content at launch seems to be very solid in its own right, but my own gut feeling is that this is the game that can launch KoF into the mainstream. The team developing this are SNK veterans (some of whom helped Capcom develop SFIV) and new talent who brought in a wide variety of views and experiences, and it seems to be working.

So, any thoughts?

#1 Grenzer, Mar 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  2. Magus

Magus The Boss

I don't know. The only thing that held KoF13 back was the netcode and by the time it went to Steam the hype had already died down.

[youtube]
    [/youtube]

From what I've seen a lot of people really gravitated towards that look (and I'm no different), and for me something about the attacks just comes off as more impactful in KoF13. So I'm not entirely sure if KoF14 will get the mainstream treatment (KoF13 really had it) and at the moment I just can't see KoF14 generating that hype that KoF13 once had going for it. (Not entire sure if SFV is going to do so either) Only time will tell though.

I'll give it a shot when it comes out though.

3. Grenzer

9th Trailer revealed!

Series veteran Athena Asamiya is joined by newcomers Nelson the cyborg boxer and Luong, the wife of Kim Kaphwan's martial arts teacher.

In other news, SNK is bringing a new version of the demo to KVO 2016 at the end of April with 20 playable characters. It will be KoFXIV's biggest test yet and will go a long way towards promoting the game both in Japan and internationally.

"From what I've seen a lot of people really gravitated towards that look (and I'm no different), and for me something about the attacks just comes off as more impactful in KoF13. So I'm not entirely sure if KoF14 will get the mainstream treatment (KoF13 really had it) and at the moment I just can't see KoF14 generating that hype that KoF13 once had going for it. (Not entire sure if SFV is going to do so either) Only time will tell though."

Strange, I never thought KoFXIII was particularly mainstream. It was critically acclaimed, but never sold that much in the US. If flew under the radar of a lot of casual gamers. XIV might be the first game that breaks the barrier because of its more modern presentation and huge initial content.

You are right that the shaky netcode during the release of XIII hurt it. I have no idea if SNK has managed to address that with the new game engine, but the flip side is that this game is going to have more Single Player content than any previous KoF game before it, and that can't be discounted when marketing towards new audiences.

#3 Grenzer, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  4. Grenzer

April Fools! This trailer is anything but predictable!

So now Geese Howard and Ryo Sakazaki (my favorite character) are confirmed. Oh, and Joe Higashi too if you can spot him (Hint: Look at 0:19).

29 characters down, 21 to go.

Also, Laban (a tournament-winning champion of many fighting games with industry connections) wrote this over at Shoryuken:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/10709759/#Comment_10709759

So the game has a publisher, and it was picked up in the past few days. I have no idea if that is for distribution outside of Japan, we will probably find out at the end of April.

5. Grenzer

New trailer out!

Two new characters: Crossover character Mui Mui from SNK's Dragon Gal series of Pachinko machines and new villain Gaara... I mean Kukri, a warrior who uses sand as a weapon.

There was also a stream on Nico this morning where a champion Japanese player KOF player and his buddies were allowed access to a very early build of the game. It's not perfect, but it does give an idea of the general gameplay.

#5 Grenzer, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  6. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 Active Member

Any idea when it will come to America?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

7. Grenzer

There was a rumor this week that Atlus has picked the game up for NA release. Atlus, it should be pointed out was also the publisher for XIII and did a pretty good job of localizing that title. We might have a more definitive answer by the summer.

8. Grenzer

Another week, another trailer! It's a ninjutsu showdown between SNK's poster girl Mai Shiranui and newcomer Banderas Hattori, a Brazilian who is the Latin American Team 2nd member. Thirty characters revealed, another twenty to go!

But that's not the biggest news by a longshot. Atlus has officaly confirmed that it will publish KOF XIV in North America and has set up a website and revealed new info!

http://www.atlus.com/kofxiv/

From Atlus:

THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIV Feature Details:

• 3D Evolution: All 50 fighters, movesets and more are rendered in full 3D graphics that preserves the essence of KOF's visual style but updates it with a whole new dimension.

• The Best Refinement since KOF '98: Through extensive playtesting and balancing, the controls have been streamlined, and the Combo and Max Mode mechanics have been overhauled to create the most competitive fighter in SNK's history.

• The KOF Saga Continues: There's a robust single-player storyline where several years have passed since the previous KOF tournament. Now a worldwide business, the global KOF will decide who is the strongest as both individuals and companies with their own ambitions have come to compete. Players compete against CPU-controlled opponents to unlock the storyline.

• The Best Roster Yet: There are 50 fighters total, with 31 returning from previous entries into the KOF series, and 19 brand new characters. All 50 characters will be available at the game's launch.

• Revamped Online Experience: THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIV has devoted a lot of development time to improving the game's netcode for vastly improved online gameplay. KOF XIV uses the PS4's online architecture to have a whole host of online conveniences, from spectating to saving replay/battle data, and having a single online KOF XIV profile to connect with friends.

And at PAX East 2016 in Boston on April 22nd, KOF XIV will be have a demo available for the first time outside of Asia. No word if it will be the old nine character build seen until now or the twenty-four character build that will be shown in Tokyo and Osaka on April 24th.

I'll update the thread next week with whatever news comes through next.

9. Pacman7821

Pacman7821 Member

10. Grenzer

August 23rd to be precise. Huge news came out of the demo in Tokyo today. I posted the trailers to the first post and edited some of the old info.

There is a pre-order bonus as well. A free DLC costume of Kyo's classic Orochi saga clothing and a premium steel-cased artbook with concept drawings of all of the characters. More might be announced in the near future as well.

All info can be found on SNK's updated website:

http://www.snkplaymore.co.jp/us/games/kof-xiv/

There will be a ton of videos posted in the next few months, but for now we also have this 3-hour feed (starts at the 3 min mark) showing off the new 24-character build:

https://www.twitch.tv/snkofficial/v/62706568

And SNK is returning to it's old logo and classic company motto for this game:

"The Future is Now."

Indeed.

11. dumbfoolkid5

Ok. Now if only they added in a customization mode to change clothes I love to add or remove pieces of those outfits.

12. Grenzer

New Trailers:

Team Japan

Team Yagami

Team Fatal Fury

Game has been announced for a European release on August 26th by Deep Silver.

Premium "Burn to Fight" edition announced for US:

[​IMG]
    • The King of Fighters™ XIV game
    • Collectable SteelBook®
    • 144-page Art Book
    • 3-disc Soundtrack (60+ tracks)
    • Collector's Box

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-kin...tation-4/5260100.p?id=bb5260100&skuId=5260100

(Get it discounted while you still can)

Finally, we have new footage from a 36-character build that was unveiled in Akihabara yesterday. According to reports the lines for the game were 3-hours along and reaction very positive.

http://www.mmcafe.com/news/posts/10187.html

13. Grenzer

New Team Trailers:

Team Art of Fighting

Team Kim

Team Villains

KOF Station #1 (hour long video full of detailed gameplay info)

E3 Trailer

14. Grenzer

Latest Videos

Team Official Invitation

Team South America

Team Mexico

Team South Town

Nightmare Geese DLC

15. Magus

Magus The Boss

Let me start off by saying I owe Grenzer an apology. I've continuously had my doubts about it and while I don't own the game yet, but despite the graphics, the way the game plays out it's certainly similar to KoF13. Sound effects can use a little bit of work as well. Those trailers really didn't do the game any justice because with each trailer I was still doubtful. But seeing actual matches it looks good. Real good and I do hope it get to shine. I will have my copy come this upcoming Friday (payday).

Now I just gotta decide on my team. K' is a must for me. As for the other 2, might be Kim and Kyo. Not quite sure yet.

I also need that soundtrack lol.

Anyone have the game yet? Thoughts?

16. Grenzer

Big update on this game. A new patch (1.10) is dropping in January. It updates the graphics and add new color palettes for all of the characters and it's completely free!

If you had issues with the game's presentation before, this might change your mind.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Darn, I was hoping this time Vanessa would return. :(

18. Grenzer

Considering they are still supporting this game, it they sell enough copies they might add DLC characters. Just something to keep in mind.

19. Magus

Magus The Boss

My copy is coming Sunday (wow, didn't think deliveries were done on Sunday's). K', Kim, and Kyo/Terry (team badboys) is gonna be the characters I'll be playing around with.

20. dumbfoolkid5

Just wish they put in a outfit customization system.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk