1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Buffy: the musical?

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Nightflower, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Nightflower

Nightflower Floral Mod Extraordinaire

Any particular reason for this episode, or was Joss just feeling extra chipper?

2. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Whyyyyy'sis heead so biiiiiig?

Joss has been wanting to do a musical episode for a long time, apparently. If you're curious, there's a huge and informative article in this week's Entertainment Weekly.

3. Bird Boy

Bird Boy WF Admin
    Staff Member Moderator

my jaw dropped a the stupidity of the episode...I saw the preview for it during last weeks Enterprise...I was laughing my butt off by the fact they can do somthing like that...

-BB

4. killercroc

killercroc Active Member

So what did you guys think?

I'd say it was good for a musical. I don't really like musicals much, cause the music is usually not the type I'd listen to normally, with the exception of "Tommy." I just wish they'd finish singing so they can get on with the story. Also, I think I may have missed some key revelations cause I couldn't understand what they were singing.

That being said, this one wasn't to bad. If that one song where all the Scoobies sang came on the radio I'd listen to it. The one that starts out with Buffy singing something like: I touch the fire it freezes me, I look into it and see black; Why can't I feel, my skin should crack and peel; I want the fire back.

That song has great lyrics and music, the only problem is that SMG cannot sing. Other than that, I could see that becoming a popular song.

Tara has got some pipes on her! Giles and Spike aren't bad, but the rest of the group cannot sing worth a darn. I'm glad they didn't dub someone else's voice in, though.

You could tell that the people they hired just for this episode were singers. They made the rest of the cast sound pretty bad. Like the lady getting the parking ticket.

As far as plot goes, there were some pretty major things take place in this one, but since I don't feel like doing a spoiler tag, I'm not gonna mention them. This must have been Joss's way of making sure we paid attention to his songs.

Whedon finally got his musical, and I'd say he pretty much pulled it off. He's the man!

5. Failure

Failure Entertainment Mod

They're not showing the ep til Saturday so I havent seen it yet, but from what I read I think the woman getting a parking ticket was Marti Noxon, who is one of the producers of the show. I think the demon was a professional singer though.

I really don't like musicals. I hope the ep turns out to be watchable.

6. Nightflower

While I have to grudgingly admit that it was pretty good (Though Xena did something like that before, and I am still of the opinion that Buffy is on the downhill right now), I was completely horrified by it. (minor spoiler in next complaint)

The singing, and the dancing, and the lesbian ecstasy with the singing, and Spike's hot deep British baritone turned into a country twang, and......gaaaaah......*broken*

7. Salvor

Salvor You can't take a picture of it

I thought it was one of the best eps ever! It was full of drama, of comedy, and great singing at the same time. And it adressed many issues that have been brought up in past episodes. The only thing that bothered was SMG, who obviously acts better than she sings :)

Great ep all long. And very original in a way. I'm not a big fan of musicals myself but hey, I didn't find it stupid at all!

lol one thing that needs to be pointed out: Alyson Hannigan barely sang. The mediocrity of her singing skills is glaring!

8. Oracle

Oracle All seeing, all knowing...

I haven't really been keeping up with this season, so I'm not sure what's going on. I watched about 20 minutes of the last half of the ep. before I turned it off. I could not take another minute of Sarah Michelle singing. There were times when she sounded okay, then she sounded awful (of course I don't really like her anyway--please don't throw things at me;) ) The song that Buffy sang about the fire was really sweet, though. From what I could saw of the ep. I thought it was pretty good and very original.

9. Captain Caps

Captain Caps Active Member

Well, however it turned out...

It must've been better than the latest episode of "'Superman's Creek".

Sincerely,

John "Captain Caps" Kilduff

10. Nightwing

Nightwing WF Old Man

[color=00FFFF]I've actually droped my skeptecism about "Superman's Creek" and started to like it. I guess it's because I didn't give it a chance from the start, mocking every single comic to present day show change that they made to continuity. Anyway! Buffy!

The only thing I didn't like about this episode was how I didn't even think of taping it! I thought all the songs were catchy (although some more than others) and everyone sang great, suprisingly. It also, as mentioned above, furthered the characters' stories that we have been following for some time, such as Willow's over use of magic, and of course the heat between Spike and Buffy.

Speaking of which, the heat between Spike and Buffy is something I've been thinking about a lot. As far as what was written and precedented, we knew that vampires did not have souls and could not love. But that's being questioned now. I've always thought there is much more to our minds and souls than we can harness consciously. Maybe the only thing a vampire needed to get out of the deep deep evil pit of mental/emotional darkness was a strong enough will. But the evil and good have all cancelled each other out until now, because vampires had no reason to change that drastically before.....

In any case, Buffy's opening number and scene sold me right off the bat. It was really funny too, and I'm smacking myself for not taping it. Does it reair at all, like new episodes of South Park do??[/color]

11. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Whyyyyy'sis heead so biiiiiig?

Still haven't watched it, have you, Caps? ;)

12. oranthal

oranthal Superman: A hero in life and in death

the point of the musical, besides it being fun and different, it touched on the things that everyone refused to talk about. so right now, everything is out in the open and another set of problems work their way into the story.

13. witness

witness I am always watching.....

my thoughts

i too have slipped behind on watching my buffy, but i knew that i couldn't miss this one! it was really enjoyable! although i do agree with nightflower's disgust w/ the episode. if you're going to talk british, you should probably sing like them. i enjoyed hearing tara sing! she was the best besides the demon.

here's a little bit of irony for you all. for all of you who didn't like buffy's singing, i think that she's the only one who's been in a real broadway play! she had a part in How To Suceed.......when she was younger. isn't that a kick?

14. killercroc

killercroc Active Member

Sorry Nightwing, I don't think they do the immediate reair thing. They used to in the early WB years.

Man, I feel opposite of how you do regarding "Superman's Creek." I gave it a chance to start out, but the repetition and lack of originality is about to make me quit watching it.

15. DR. BELCH

DR. BELCH Member

Well...haven't seen it....

Howard Stern--his word, not mine--dismissed it as "gay", and more so than usual Buffy scripts. I recall the mixed feelings/reviews when Daria opened one season with a musical episode (though I rather liked it, forced rhymes and all, esp. Jake's Speed Racer-inspired musical cussfest). Plus Wendy Hoopes had to sing in three voices--Helen, Quinn, and Jane...imagine how taxing that'd be. I'd be impressed if the Buffster did half as well....

#15 DR. BELCH, Nov 8, 2001
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2001
  16. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Whether you liked it or not, the episode pulled in some good ratings. About 5.5 million people tuned in, over 300, 000 more than last week. The hype on this episode was pretty high.

17. Manhunter

Manhunter Super-Tech Cat Ninja Guy

Re: So what did you guys think?

Actually, I thought Anya was okay,in the one song she did with Xander. You're right about Tara, Giles and Spike. Of course,it helps that Giles was once Dr. Frank N. Furter in a London production of "The Rocky Horror Show".

18. Lachesis

Lachesis The one with the tape measurer

Re: Re: So what did you guys think?

:eek:

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

thud

19. Nightflower

Re: Re: So what did you guys think?

BUNNIES AREN'T JUST CUTE LIKE EVERYBODY SUPPOSES! THEY'VE GOT THEM HOPPY LEGS AND TWITCHY LITTLE NOSES! AND WHAT'S WITH ALL THE CARROTS, WHAT DO THEY NEED GOOD EYESIGHT FOR, ANYWAY? BUNNIES! BUNNIES! IT MUST BE BUNNIES!

Since people who haven't seen it have NOOOO idea what I'm talking about, I don't think I'm spoiling anything. (Plus it was lyrics irrelevant to the plot anyway)

20. witness

witness I am always watching.....

ah, but it stems from her fear of bunnies. remember the haloween episode where hse actually dressed up as a bunny? that's probably why they wrote those lyrics for her.