1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Buddy vs post-1964 WB cartoons

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Kevin Mo, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Ducktales Fan

Ducktales Fan Classic Television Fan Here

Definitely the post-64 cartoons with Road Runner/Wilie E. Coyote and Daffy Duck and Speedy. The buddy ones from the 30s bore me.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

I'm in the minority, but I don't think the 30's WB cartoons were bad as a lot of people think tbh. I actually like the Buddy cartoons, but some of the good ones were done by Friz Freleng so I can understand why a lot of people don't like to watch those. I heard that a lot of people think that Buddy has no personality, they won't root for him. He has SOME personality, but just like Porky Pig, he allows his surroundings to do the work for him. Bosko is pretty good, too, in my opinion. I like the late 60's WB toons that features the obsure WB characters like Cool Cat and Merlin the Magic Mouse. They're my guilty pleasures as too is some of the Daffy/Speedy cartoons.

#22 DVDLooney, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  3. Looney Turtles

To be honest, I've only seen a very few shorts with Bosko and Buddy. I'm just not very interested in the early 30's shorts.

4. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

don't forget about the 30s merrie melodies too

5. Toonfan1999

Toonfan1999 New Member

I'll take the Buddy toons b/c they have slightly better animation than the low-budget post-1964 toons. I would include the Harmen-Ising as part of the dark age. Before Tex Avery arrived Warner Bros shorts were just Disney-wannabes with a 3/4 of the budget.

6. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

So you are saying that 1934-35 was okay and still better than the 1930-33 era and 1964-69 era? I like everything 1936 and onwards, was when LT and MM got better in quality bigger budget more lines gag pun etc.

7. Toonfan1999

Toonfan1999 New Member

I said I think the 1930-1933 era is part the dark age and I think the 1964-1969 stuff looked as cheap Hanna-Barbera cartoons at the time. I said the animation was slightly better, the 1934-1935 shorts still suck.

8. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

The music is the best thing about the 1933-1936 shorts, and that makes sense because those cartoons (at least the Merrie Melodies) were basically designed to sell sheet music and records. But during the early to mid 30s, they were the most transparent in the practice. It took the loosening of that strict rule, along with Carl Stalling's practice of using popular songs as punchlines instead of making an entire cartoon all about a song, that elevated cartoons starting in the late '30s.

#28 SB20xx, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  9. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

what about Harman-ising shorts I think I like them better than the 34-35 stuff?

10. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

pre-1937....interesting you'd pick that year. I suppose since "Porky's Duck Hunt" was released that year, you could pretty much call that the beginning of the Looney Tunes we know today. But if you have not seen such cartoons as "Sinkin In the Bathtub", "Hold Anything", "the Booze Hangs High", "Box Car Blues", "Bosko's Picture Show", "Bosko In Person", "Lady Play Your Mandolin", "One More time", "Hittin the trail For Halleluijia Land", "You Don't Know What You're Doin", "Buddy's Show Boat", "Buddy's Adventures", "Buddy's Beer Garden", "Buddy's Garage", "Billboard Frolics", "Sittin On a Back Yard fence", or "The Sneezing Weasel", I urge you to check these out. I do agree that there were some real snoozers in this period, and some real dumb ideas, but there is some great animation in there.

post-64...the whipping boy of all WB cartoon periods. Black sheep of the family. Scallawag cartoons! But come on, folks. They're not THAT bad. In many ways, they are an acquired taste, they are different from the 'classic' cartoons of the 40's and 50's. But if you weed out a few (notice I said FEW) of the Daffy/Speedy pairups, 2 or 3 of the Depatie/Freleng Road Runners, and any Speedy Gonzales cartoon after 1967...there are some funny moments in spite of the cheaper animation. It was a time of experimentation, we got new characters like Bunny and Claude, Cool Cat, Merlin the Magic Mouse. Cartoons like "Swing Ding Amigo", "Cats and Bruises", "It's Nice To Have a Mouse around the house", "Highway Runnery", "Sugar and spies", "Run Run Sweet Road Runner", "Rushing Roulette", "Snow Excuse", "Feather Finger", "Cool Cat", "Bunny and Claude", "Feud With a Dude", "Hocus Pocus Pow Wow", and "Bugged By a Bee". Low budget does not always a bad cartoon make, in my opinion. But, if you want to hate these films with a passion, sawright. They're not for everybody.