1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Bubsy is back...no really

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by AnotherRandomGuy, Jun 8, 2017.

1. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

What...I mean...WHAT!?

2. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

First came the Bandicoot, then the Bobcat.

[​IMG]

3. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

Well, it was only a matter of time before they ran out of actually successful franchises to reboot.

4. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

It seems to be using the same gameplay engine as "Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams", and actually looks virtually identical too. Don't get me wrong, I loved "Twisted Dreams", but this merely feels like a mod of that game.

5. D-nice is the man.

I blame Sonic Forces for this and the people who thought the customization character was Bubsy.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

What's that supposed to mean: that this franchise isn't worth rebooting, or something? I'm pretty sure that Bubsy 3D: Furbitten Planet was the bad one. I don't know about Bubsy II or Fractured Furry Tales (which was exclusive to the Atari Jaguar), but the first game ("Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind") was certainly successful enough to even get adapted as a TV special.

Look, I think that in this case, you should give it a chance before writing it off. Yes, Bubsy 3D was not a very good game (from what I've heard*), but that doesn't mean this game will be bad, nor does it mean that it (Bubsy 3D) invalidates the rest of the franchise (or maybe you weren't implying that or even the "not worth rebooting" idea, but in both cases that's what your statement makes it sound like; no offense).

EDIT: Well, what do you know? This game appears to pretend as though all the other games don't exist, and is instead, a sequel to the original game, with similar gameplay, even. OTOH, Accolade hasn't existed for some time. Is this game being released by Activision (I hope not; I'm not sure I can trust these guys, but that's another story)?

EDIT 2: Oops, it looks like Infogrames (I honestly refuse to call them "Atari") owns the rights to the Accolade catalog, and are using the Accolade name just for this game. Well, we'll see...

*I'm even told that the game's "critical acclaim" (as seen on the box art) was based on an earlier version of the game...

#6 Mandouga, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  7. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

I'm not necessarily writing off the game, it's just given the character's rather notorious reputation, it's safe to say why a lot of us are surprised at this move. Granted, the first game or two does seem to have a little bit of a following, and I will admit those did have some clear potential, but even then I doubt there really was enough of a market. Especially given Bubsy 3D really seemed to kill any interest in the franchise as a whole. Not to mention, while the first game did seem to be a modest success, it's clear he only really had 15 minutes of fame since - despite Accolade trying their hardest to milk him - he never truly seemed to catch on with most gamers.

That being said, I doubt fixing a lot of the source material's flaws would really be that hard.

8. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

Sonic Forces Bubsy Out of Retirement

This is the danger of memes. We make fun of an obscure bad thing so much it becomes well known for companies to make a sequel years later. What's next? Crazy Bus 2?

9. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

A newer attempt what can possibly go wrong? Sonic isn't as popular as it was in the 90s and this game wasn't anything big either at the time but hey if they can revive a dinosaur from its tomb they probably mean business.

10. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Maybe the possum?

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky Never A Good Bot

The Tasmanian Tiger?

12. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

The Gecko?

13. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

The cheetahs?

14. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you mean by Cheetah's, Daikun. The only results I could find were for a game called "The Cheetahmen"...

15. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

There's also Chester Cheetah, who starred in two video games. But I'm pretty sure those aren't the characters Daikun was referring to.

I for one would LOVE another Gex game, but there's no chance of that happening.

16. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

GAME. OVER.

Seriously, I see no success with this. At all.

17. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Again, the game will be competent from a gameplay perspective- Giana Sisters had tight controls. It should play just fine.

I'm just concerned it won't offer much new that we haven't already seen in Giana Sisters. Actually, it will probably have less, since the "on-the-fly world switching" gimmick that made Giana Sisters unique naturally won't be present in this game.

And of course, it has an uphill battle in the marketing department since so many were burned on the later Bubsy games and it's largely seen as a dated "attitude mascot" of the '90s.

18. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ty_the_Tasmanian_Tiger_4

With any luck, we'll get Ty 5 before this decade is over. As for the revival at hand, I for one welcome our old bobcat overlord. There's nothing inherently wrong with a mascot platformer if the gameplay is good.