Breaking News: "Bleach Live Action Movie To be Set in Japan"

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by Jongoco, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Jongoco

Jongoco New Member

The screenwriter of the U.S. adaptation of Bleach answered some questions and concerns

“I’m currently working on ‘Bleach’ and the idea is to set it in Japan and really be respectful to the source material. It’s an amazing story. I’ve been shorthanding it as an ‘action-adventure Sixth Sense,’ but obviously on a bigger canvas than that. So I’m incredibly excited about that. It’s a good one.“

Full article at link

http://m.latino-review.com/2012/04/...riter-updates-jonny-quest-bleach-adaptations/

2. RockmanDash

RockmanDash Retired

A action/adventure sixth sense? ...Oh geez... :p

One thing I do like is that the screenwriter is being loyal to the setting.

3. wakawakawaka

wakawakawaka New Member

i just hope the actors will be Asian! (since the movie is set in japan and all):D:D

4. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

Has Kubo said which characters are asian? For instance, I believe Chad is supposed to be Mexican. While I presume some characters would be asian considering the setting, Bleach seems to have influences from various cultures around the world for some aspects of the story (even if it is just some terms here and there). While I would certainly hope to see Japan well represented, I think there is more of a legitimate opportunity with Bleach, as opposed to some other live-action anime adaptations, to have a multi-cultural cast.

5. firefoxprime

firefoxprime 90s = Golden Years

Yeah. Like Speed Racer. Such a sugar coated candy movie of awesomeness...

Actually, "action-adventure sixth sense" is a very good similarity. Seeing dead people and such? Sounds pretty spot on to me:anime:

6. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

Chad is part Japanese, hence his real name of Sado Yasutora. Everyone else (with Japanese names) are of course Japanese.

7. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

Good point about the people having Japanese names. That's a pretty dang good indication that they are supposed to be Japanese. Looks like I may have been overstating the multicultural potential a bit.

8. Jongoco

Jongoco New Member

I would have Ichigo be half Japanese / White, he is a teenager living in America
    with his mother, when she is murdered by the beach, Ichigo moves back to Japan to live with his father and sisters

Orihime should be fully white, her parents can be air-force officers, Orhime could have been born and grew up on the base, that would explain a Japanese first name, you could kill two birds with one stone by also making Chad a military kid in Japan

9. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

I wonder how may of the characters will be played by Korean Americans?

If Yoruichi is in this will her actor be Polynesian, Black, or just really tan? Same question applies even more for Tosen.

10. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi Reporter

I say there is no way if this movie gets made it will be set in Japan with Japanese actors as the leads. Not going to happen.

I think you could do some of the Shinigami characters as caucasians since their looks are a little more non-Japanese specific. Sado of course is part-Mexican. But that's it really.

11. Terror of Death

Terror of Death Active Member

Ditto. Rarely do you see movies with all/mostly Asian actors (or minority actors in general) do really well at the box office in America. There's always exceptions to the rule but I doubt Warner Bros. is going to be all that willing to take that risk.