World's Finest Writer's Corner Brand Spankin' New Rules for the WFWC Forums

Discussion in 'The Story Board' started by The Guitar Slayer, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Guitar Slayer

The Guitar Slayer 1965 to Eternity

We've decided to shake some things up here. We've already done specific rules for the Teen Titans Forums because a lot of the stories were spammerific.

These are general rules for the forums The World Finest Writer's Corner, Teen Titans Fan Fiction, and the Workshops. I've already laid out how the "Throw It at the Wall; See What Sticks" will work, so go there if you have questions about that; it has been mirrored so that you guys can post in it right now. Also, take a look at the new Ratings thread.

1. Provide the Setting in the Title: Story titles must have the continuity you're writing in: BTAS, TNBA, TT, JLU, STAS, Comics, or AU. (Batman: The Animated Series, The New Adventures of Batman, Teen Titans, Justice League Unlimited, Superman the Animated Series, the comic book line, or Alternative Universe [meaning none of the above!]) It makes it easier for fans to find what they want.
    2. Title Limit -- Ten Words: We're not going to be harsh about title word limits. 10 words I think is a reasonable maximum. If you can't think of a good title right when you post, just write "Untitled." Random gibberish is not an acceptable title. Neither are cuss words or story summaries. If your title is in violation, the mods will edit it.
    3. Rating: The rating must be in the story title as well, particularly if it is beyond PG-13, T, or our own personal C level. Remember, you cannot have an R/MA/J fic if you're under 17 or a PG-13/T/C fic with drugs, alcohol, etc.
    4. DC Universe Only (Mostly): WFWC houses Fan Fiction for the DC Universe. Cross-overs are cool, and so are parodies, but the centre of attention must be on a DC character. For example, I can have a Spider-man/Superman crossover as long as Superman and his world are more than just a cameo appearance. If you do stray into cameo territory, then we'll have to ship it over to the Storyboard.
    5. Do Stuff In a Logical Order: When writing a series of stories, you have to finish the first part before starting to post the second. It saves on headaches, and readers won't be confused.
    6. Finish Stuff You Start: We have a 5 story limit on what you're allowed to have up and running as a new fic. Once it hits the second page or hasn't been replied to in 2 weeks or more, it's no longer new, so you are free to post new fics until total is five again. You can have no more than two multichapter fics within these five. If they're going to be big epics, you have to keep both of them going at the same time. Otherwise, just wait and post them one right after the other. So you can have 5 oneshots, 4 oneshots and a big fic, or 2 big fics and 3 oneshots. If you have a big fic, you MUST finish it before starting a new one. Nobody is happy when there are unfinished big stories lying around. If you cannot finish it right now, you may put it on hiatus. ONE STORY ON HIATUS FOR EACH AUTHOR -- NO MORE!
    7. No Thread Necromancy. That means no replying to long dead threads. Yes, I know you don't like the idea of having your story lying around on page ten of the archives, but it's not fair to new writers if your old finished story keeps kicking them off the first page. We're going to have a master list of fanfics on the top of the forum so that if someone likes your stuff, they can find it just by looking at your name.
    8. No Links To Stories Posted Outside of the WFWC/TT Boards. Do not post links to stories you find elsewhere, or even your own stories. If you, or the author, wanted them here you, or they, would post them here (in full). If you find a story you think is wonderful, just post a link in your signature. These boards are for original work only.
    Please reply to this thread and give us some feedback on these rules. Thanks,

GS

(And tNC.)

#1 The Guitar Slayer, Dec 22, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2009
  2. TeenTitansGO!

TeenTitansGO! expremental Upnnas

Well, GS, you know what I think. (the rules are great for you who aren't GS) Thanks for title limit lengthening. It was badly needed.

TTG~Matt H.

3. Matt A

Matt A Smile. Or Else.

With the ratings stuff, are we allowed to use the British system (U, PG, 12A, 12, 15, 18)? Personally, I'm not too familiar with the American ratings system, and I don't want to put down the wrong label.

-Matt A-

4. Bleu Unicorn

Bleu Unicorn \ (^v^) /

In answer to your question, Welshie's Mate, [thread=157268]WFWC has implemented its own rating system[/thread]. :)

5. Matt A

Matt A Smile. Or Else.

Okay, that clears things up. Thanks.

-Matt A-

6. Alpha Man

Alpha Man Raven in a Bikini? Brilliant!

Raven: The Nest (PG13, TT)

I have a small question. Does the rating/setting have to be in the title link? I can understand that people can edit their first post's title, so the rating and setting can be added in. To iterate what I'm trying to say, I'll try an example.

Let's say the title link on the forum page of Teen Titans Fan Fiction looks like this -- Raven: The Nest

but after people click on it, they can see the first post's title like
    (see title box of this post :^: )

What I mean is... the PG13 and TT are not the title of the story, but I can see how and why they should be incorporated. But do they need to be there on the link? If you look at FF.net, their stories don't have the rating as part of the title of the story. It's sorta underneath it, so that you after you read the super-cool title, you can find out more. But let's face it, the title's the first thing anybody sees. And I personally want my link to my story to look good, not be "impersonalized" with PG13s and TTs... that stuff can all come later.

Does anyone see my point?

Thank you for listening/reading.

PS- Isn't it redundant to put "TT: Raven:"?

7. SilverKnight

SilverKnight Sigh.

Yes. It has to be in the title link.

Why? For the same reason there are ratings beneath the title links in FF.net. Those are put there in plain viewing so people know before they go clicky-clicky that the story they're about to read may have content they may very well object to at some point. Since there's no reasonable way to create a facsimilie of this on WFWC (and, no, I don't believe hovering over a title link to read "PG-13/15/C" in the bubble thing is adequate), it has to be placed somewhere so the reader can know just where the fic lies, in terms of objectionable content. It's a heads-up sorta thing.

Besides, your story is on the TT board, and as such, you don't need to say what continuity it's under, but the rating is necessary, and it had better be TT, or else it gets moved, and you get warned. The rules are there for a reason, Alpha. It makes everyone's lives easier. Try reading them more carefully in the future.

8. The Guitar Slayer

The Guitar Slayer 1965 to Eternity

And PG-13 isn't part of it anyway. The story link should go by our own ratings so the MPAA doesn't boot us in the butt like it did FF.net (they threatened legal action. legal action for non-profit site = BAD!). It should look something like

Raven: The Nest (C)

if it's on the TT board (no need for designation, since it's just one series)

You can PM us to change the title of the thread and fix the rating because you guys can't do it on your own. However, if you don't PM us and it's been a while that it's been up like that, we are within our rights to warn you. This rule applies to fics that are currently active. If you have an old story, don't worry about it.

This is a forum, not the FF.net website. We don't have the first line/subtitle option on Vbulletin, sadly. I understand what you mean, but the rating needs to be upfront. In regards to the preview, there are many fics that have background information as the first line. It doesn't tell you anything about the fic itself nor the rating.

Erm, no, "that stuff" can't come later. If some 13-year-old is caught reading a fic that turns out to have a J rating, their irate parents can come after my butt and yell at me that I didn't mark the fic clearly. "You can't expect them to see a little line in a big story! They're just 13!" You have no idea what it like to deal with other people's protective parents. Guh.

I'm saving myself and my mods a lot of work. We're giving you guys the opportunity to rate your own work and expand it as necessary. If we have to stamp it, then we choose the rating and you are restricted as a writer. As long as you're honest, it's cool.

We've loosened up the rules A LOT from what they were (even though they weren't enforced...). We're giving you a random idea thread, a workshop, a 10-word title.... if your fic is as good as you say, then a few letters won't make it uncool ;)

If it's in the Teen Titans Board, you don't need to put the TT unless you're doing a crossover. Then it's like "TT/otherworld."

If you're on the main WFWC board, then you do have to put the show there, because the forum spans 9 shows: BTAS, TNBA, STAS, BB, JL, SS, TZP, TB and JLU.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.