Boomerang Has Rebranded

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by Cartoon Ruler, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Feel Happy!

I figured that this would be big enough to get its own thread, despite a few comments about it in the News & Discussion thread.

Boomerang will finally take a big leap and become an ad-supported network later this year. In addition to that:

This means Boom will transform to an ad-supported network targeting at kids and families (similar to the Hub Network).

This thread is about ideas about Boomerang's rebranding, what shows should it acquire, having its own website, etc. It can also be used just in case a date has been confirmed for this rebranding or other information about it that is confirmed. False information is invalid on this thread unless you provide a source or proof. If you don't provide any proof about it, the moderators are likely to close this thread.

With that said, let the discussion begin.

2. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Active Member

As others have noted elsewhere, it appears that TW/Turner has an influx of cash they can spend. Best move would be to spend that money internally and bring back popular favorites like Thundarr, Super Friends, Centurions, et al, that were Boomer-staples in past years. As for the prospect of more CN series shifting over, as I've noted myself, this would be a good landing spot to reboot DC Nation, sans Teen Titans Go!, which CN has played to death.

Cartoon Network: The Place for Silliness.
    Boomerang: The Place for Serious & Classic Cartoons.

3. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

I don't care what shows they use, I'm just sick of the same bumpers that they've been using for 14 years. I just hope they change their look.

4. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Feel Happy!

Here's my hopes:

-Boomerang gets its own separate website from CN.

-It grabs a few more shows from WB (Pinky & the Brain, Sylvester & Tweety, Taz-Mania, etc. might do) as well as from other studios.

-It has a diversified schedule, cut back on the hour long blocks expect for The Flintstones, Looney Tunes, Smurfs, Tom & Jerry and Scooby-Doo.

-A new logo, along with a new set of bumpers will occur.

-It will expand to basic cable, just like CN and more providers will acquire the channel.

-CN promotes the channel again.

-Boom's original/new programming will be good quality compared to Adventure Time and Steven Universe.

-It gets an official YT, FB and/or Twitter account like CN.

-It will finally air more CN shows like Codename: Kids Next Door, My Gym Partner's a Monkey, Ed, Edd n Eddy and The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, just to name a few.

-It will launch a HD feed.

-It will have a weekday action block similar to Muguzi and the early Toonami.

I would love to see this become a Hub Network/90s CN type of channel. If that happened, it will be one of my favorite channels to watch (along with Hub Network and Cartoon Network).

5. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo We're not cousins!

I'm thinking the ad supported Boomerang channel will include live action as well as animated programming, seeing as how Boom doesn't contain the word "cartoon" in it's name. This means that Boom's schedule can not be 100% cartoons and people won't accuse them of abandoning their cause.

Turner could conceivably use Boom to run old school sitcoms such as Gilligan's Island and The Beverly Hillbillies which are now considered too old to be airing on TBS.

A good idea (I think) would be for this Boomerang to target a dual audience: kids and teenagers during the day, and adults at night. I'd like it if we could get some Space Ghost: Coast to Coast and the original Cartoon Planet in there.

It's also very likely that the "new" Boomerang will contain new and original series. If so, I hope that a) Boom's original series are designed to appeal to a broader audience than Cartoon Network's, which is only interested in "dude bro" comedies at the moment, and b) that the old-school cartoons such as The Flintstones, The Jetsons and Looney Tunes aren't removed from Boom altogether, even if they're relegated to only on program blocks which air during non-peak viewing hours. I'd also like to see some more acquisitions that have never aired on Boom before. Heck, Boom could even air Schoolhouse Rock segments between shows, assuming that Turner would be able to acquire that, of course.

As for the newer shows, I really hope that Boom's lineup isn't just Adventure Time, Regular Show, Johnny Test and Uncle Grandpa on Boomerang.Ideally, it would be nice if Boom's lineup will offer an alternative to CN's programming.

An HD feed seems likely, although it won't happen right away. Maybe after the channel gains more popularity and is available in more homes.

Also, I really, really hope that Boomerang updates it's look.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2014
  6. Pac-Attack

Pac-Attack Yeah, pre-order that's a good idea!

My hopes:

-A separate website (the other Booms have one, why not ours?)

-CN promotes the network (they haven't promoted it since....say 2006 or 7).

-In addition to classics, air shows that CN rarely airs nowadays (i.e. Beware the Batman, The Looney Tunes Show, Scooby-Doo! Mystery Inc., Young Justice, etc.)

-Don't spam shows that already air enough on CN *cough*Johnny Test*cough*

-I could care less if the logo changes, but as for the bumpers, please change them seriously! I'm tired of them, if they are gonna change the bumpers, something like the CN 20th Anniversary Bumpers would be nice.

-No live-action or stuff like Annoying Orange - Not even shows like Banana Splits, Munsters, and Addams Family!

-If they are gonna have original programming, please have shows different from CN. We don't need more "dude bro" shows!

-Change the schedule more often - obviously, an ad-supported network will change the schedule more often. Boomerang typically changes their schedule once or twice a year after a long period with the same schedule.

-Get some cartoons that used to air on CN/Boom back on air - Get the rights back to SuperFriends, Pink Panther, Underdog, and all that stuff. Start airing cartoons you own again like Popeye, Courage, Billy and Mandy, etc.

That's all I got. :p

7. epicrandomguy

epicrandomguy New Member

My thoughts and I don't have much:

It's good that it's becoming ad-supported, the promos were feeling very repetitive.

I don't think I'll like the rebrand too much, as I am very fond of the bumpers and logo.

I think Boomerang deserves its own website, it would get a better reputation at least.

As for the programming, I don't mind the classic programming, but if they add Cartoon Network shows from the 90's, etc. it shouldn't get too new, because then what would be the point of the network being called Boomerang, if it's not "all coming back to you"?

8. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

Here are my hopes:

This is a given, but please, Please, PLEASE update Boom's look and bumpers! If I have to see those same toy bumpers they've been running for the past 14 years, I'm gonna go crackers!

Reserve some space for the Looney Tunes and MGM shorts, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Jonny Quest, the Hanna-Barbera Zoo, etc. I know that as an ad-supported channel, there's going to have to be original and contemporary programming, and I'm fine with that, but the classics aren't presently airing anywhere else, and I'd rather not just see them go away.

It would really help this channel if Turner and Warner Bros. could learn to play catch with one another. That way, they could property utilize both companies' libraries, and I don't just mean the same 10 to 20 episodes of the same 5 to 10 shows.

As for as newer and original shows go, please don't just take the same kinds of shows that CN does. As others have stated, we don't need any more "dude-bro" shows. Let's get some action cartoons, girl-centric and gender-neutral shows, 3rd party acquisitions including some foreign acquisitions (and not just from Canada). Let's get some Tara Duncan, Bananaman, The Why Why Family, Oban Star Racers, Code LYOKO, Arthur and the Square Knights of the Round Table and the like in there.

Like Goldstar, I'd like to see Space Ghost: Coast to Coast and the original Cartoon Planet on this channel. Something like Toon Heads would be neat also.

This last one may sound blasphemous to some, and I'd understand why they'd feel that way, but I'd actually be OK with there being some live-action on this channel. I know that Boomerang originally touted itself as being "the home of classic cartoons", but it's not going to be just a retro channel anymore; things change, and if a wider variety of quality shows on this new Boom means some live-action programs, then so be it. I'd be all for stuff like The Banana Splits, The Munsters or The Addams Family, or even shows like Gilligan's Island, The 3 Stooges, Lancelot Link, the Adam West Batman series, Wake, Rattle and Roll, Pee-Wee's Playhouse, The Monkees, Bewitched or I Dream of Jeannie turning up since these shows clearly aren't going to be turning up on TBS anytime soon. (Some of the old Krofft shows could be campy fun also, but acquiring those might not be in the cards.) And I've said this in another thread, but maybe here shows like Tower Prep and Unnatural History could be given the fair shake they never got on CN. As long as it's not stuff like Out of Jimmy's Head (though I wouldn't be against a new scripted comedy or 2) or the CN Real shows, I've got no qualms about live-action.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2014
  9. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk is on a ridey-ride to hell

Now Time Warner can have a channel to air their next live-action kids' series instead of Cartoon Network. As long it doesn't turn into another vessel for annoying cookie-cutter tweencoms.

10. Aussie

Aussie New Member

I realize that live-action has aired on Boomerang in the past, but Turner's press release specifically mentioned that the revamped Boomerang will
    . So while we might see one or two live-action series here and there on Boomerang, I'd say the focus will still be very much on cartoons.

Just going on the language used in Turner's press release, this seems to be a given. In fact I am expecting the network to have the same sort of universal appeal we used to see with Cartoon Network in the early stages of the Powerhouse Era, or perhaps even broader. Stuart Snyder mentioned in an interview with the Atlanta Business Chronicle that parents with young children are an emerging demographic that Boomerang will be looking to target.

To me, this suggests that we will most likely be seeing classic cartoons in primetime (which cartoons specifically I'm not sure, but we're probably talking shows which were around when today's young parents were children). Gradually over say the next year or two we'll probably see various original shows premiering with the aim of holding on to a broad audience. For me this means there is little to no chance we will see dude-bro comedies premiering on Boomerang because a) that market is saturated already and b) the potential audience is too narrow. Turner's aim with Boomerang will be to have young families sitting around the TV together watching the same shows during primetime. This of course will create the most demand from advertisers because they can target a whole cross-section of demos at once.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2014
  11. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Active Member

The Turner channels don't have the rights to Gilligan anymore. It's over on TV Land & Me-TV. Ideally, Boomerang should be a mix of cartoons stretching all the way back to the classic Looney Tunes/MGM shorts to as far as the late 90's for a curt-off point. If they must have live-action (because Snyder is a moron), there's always the reliable Banana Splits reruns, and maybe they could acquire Lancelot Link, which would rule.

12. classictoonami

classictoonami New Member

I pretty much want an updated look plus i want gigantor and astro boy and other classic animes on the classic toonami for boomerang and maybe some new cartoon cartoons as original programming
    perhaps a re-branded cartoon cartoon Fridays plus the toonami midnight run and rising sun would work here it would be awesome if classic toonami re-aired yu-yu hakusho which i missed out on back in the day.

13. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Every Boomerang around the world already has been rebranded (except for the LA feed (but they have Tooncast) and the American one). I'm pretty sure Boom USA will follow soon...

Here's a list of all the feeds:
    1. Boomerang United States (in English)
    www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/boomerang/index.html
    2. Boomerang Eastern Europe (in English, Polish, Romanian, Hungarian and Russian)
    www.boomerang-tv.pl
    www.boomerang-tv.ro
    www.boomerang-tv.hu
    www.boomerangtv.ru
    3. Boomerang EMEA (in English, Greek and mostly Dutch and Arabic as well)
    www.boomeranghq.net
    www.boomerangtvafrica.com
    www.boomerangtv.nl
    4. Boomerang France (in French and English)
    www.boomerangtv.fr
    5. Boomerang Germany (in German and English)
    www.boomerangtv.de
    6. Boomerang Italy (in Italian and English)
    www.boomerangtv.it
    7. Boomerang Scandinavia (in Swedish, Norwegian, Danish and English)
    www.boomerangtv.se
    www.boomerangtv.no
    www.boomerangtv.dk
    www.boomerangtv.nu
    8. Boomerang United Kingdom (in English)
    www.boomerangtv.co.uk
    9. Boomerang Australia (in English)
    www.boomerangtv.com.au
    10. Boomerang Thailand (in Thai and English)
    -no website- (English schedule:
    (11. Boomerang LA (in Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese and English)) => it airs live-action shows for teenagers, Turner airs its classic cartoons on ''Tooncast''
    (www.boomerangla.com)
    (www.boomerang.com.br)
    (www.tooncast.tv)

Here are some (English) videos of our rebrand:
    Boomerang Europe New Bumpers & Promos March 2012 (Part 1) - YouTube
    Boomerang Europe New Bumpers & Promos March 2012 (Part 2) - YouTube
    Boomerang UK - New Look 01-02-2012 - YouTube
    Boomerang ( and +1 ) UK - New Idents Mix 2012 - YouTube
    Boomerang Europe (NL) - Christmas Advert 2013 - YouTube
    Boomerang Central Europe - Christmas 2013 Advert / Idents / Logo - YouTube
    Boomerang UK Movie Ident 2013 - YouTube
    Boomerang Nederland / Africa Continuity 31-07-13 - YouTube
    Boomerang Nederland / Africa Continuity 04-07-13 - YouTube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4uPvd_4FMg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE2LUxCqp1M

The only live-action shows they are currently broadcasting (not counting the LA feed), are LazyTown, Cartoonito Tales, HaHa Hairies, the British Skatoony and Famous Five.

14. classictoonami

well that's just great

15. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Revengeful

Oh gosh where does it begin for my wishes?

1, I hope they at least still keep Pokémon weekday afternoons for an hour, and hopefully still at 4, but if it's 3, 5 or 6, at least, I can settle for that too. Considering the vast amount of episodes it has, and with it still airing today, it has a purpose to keep those reruns playing.

2. Without typing out each show, you'll also basically know what I mean when I say "past CN originals", especially the ones that haven't aired in centuries (exaggeration is fun) - Don't bring them all back at once though. Save some for a later time just so we can be excited about other returns later - and they can be swapped out or another show.

3. Obviously new bumpers. Let the toys rest.

4. The shorts that air between shows and commercial breaks, none of those either. I wouldn't mind new ones however even if of HB characters. They could also add some new characters of today like CN used to do. The only trouble may be the voice-acting thing. Many characters wouldn't sound like they do as far as 90s series goes. I can't imagine for example if they use Big Dog from 2SD, that they'd get Brad Garrett to voice him again.

5. Like many others here have said, their own website apart from cartoon network, and with a proper schedule. However, I'd hope there's some tweak to it where we can still see the show's episode titles, but if they don't, we can still at least get most of them from zap2it.

6. Saturday morning Looney Tunes block. Example time of 9:00am-12:00pm.

7. Sunday morning HB animal cartoons block. Also 9:00am-12:00pm.

8. A big one, acquiring a portion of other classic series from the 80s/90s, and even the 00s. My notables would be the return of Garfield & Friends, then others like Alvin & the Chipmunks and some WB shows like Pinky & the Brain and Freakazoid!

9. Newer-to-BOOM movies for weekend nights. I think a weekend night movie block would be fun. It can range from the ones they're still airing weekend mornings, but more scattered about and only shown maybe up to.... I'll just say 3-5x a year. Among those new-to-BOOM movies, I'd like to see some CN used to air for CN's Cartoon Theater. An American Tail & Fival Goes West. Balto.. to name 3.

10. No Live-Action. However, I'll let Banana Splits be a pardon since its history with BOOM, and it's free. Don't run it to death of course or anything.

11. A newer kind of action block with past and some recent shows and a new name. I was thinking BoomerRING. Ring of course like in wrestling terms.

12. Cut back on most one-hour stints, especially if the same 2 episodes encore later at night.

13. Perhaps elsewhere from 9am-12pm weekends. It 'could' be interesting to see a mash-up of all sorts of classic cartoons in one block. For example, HB, LT, MM and MGM randomly played for maybe a couple hours a week. Even throw it other cartoons like Tom & Jerry, Popeye, Pink Panther... So for example, that's mainly 12 cartoons in the block. It could lead off with a Barney Bear short from MGM, then a Popeye cartoon, then a Droopy from MGM, a T&J(HB) cartoon, a LT/MM... Snagglepuss cartoon from HB... yeah, just a mash-up of a bunch of 7-8ish minute classics. Once in a while as well, throw in a B&W one. I just hope it wouldn't be sent to the late-night where MGM still is.

14] Even if it's aired a long time, I wouldn't mind them putting Captain Planet in a mid-afternoon/nighttime action block, even if only for a while. Otherwise, it can stay at 6:00am.

---

That's about what I've got. No, I will NOT expect around 80% of these, how many of the 14 round close to 80% to be played, but naturally, these are only my ideas.

16. classictoonami

for the toonami block i believe that it should air 4 to 7 i think it should be called toons boom

17. classictoonami

maybe we could get batman beyond

18. Mr Flintstone

Mr Flintstone New Member

Bring back the Superfriends.

19. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Active Member

Two votes for Super Friends, which marked the 40th anniversary of the franchise back in September. Let's see if anyone's got other favorites on their wish lists.

20. Nickle98499

Nickle98499 Member

Among the many shows I would like to see come back to boomerang are the 1982-1984 seasons of scooby and scrappy doo, as they seem to rarely get rerun anymore on the network.

In addition, I'd like to see Josie and the pussycats, clue club, speed buggy and some of the other hanna barbera mystery solvers shows back on.

Not related to the schedule, but also I would like to see more cable systems pick up the channel, such as comcast/xfinity, as the comcast system in seattle/tacoma does not have the channel as of yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.