Boomerang has gone bad!

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by Cartoon Ruler, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Feel Happy!

Since last year in October, the channel has been showing two live-action shows: The Munsters and The Addams Family. Isn't Boomerang supposed to show classic animation shows like Looney Tunes, The Flintstones and Yogi Bear? I was even more surprised that they showed Hole in the Wall, since at the beginning of last year. :sad:

[​IMG]

Anyways, After October 31, Boomerang, or should I say Loserang have gone completely insane, instead of showing classic cartoons, they show SOME classic cartoons and non-classic cartoons such as The Secret Saturdays, Teen Titans, Ben 10, The Mr. Men Show and the girlish show of all, Puppy in My Pocket. Starting on January 2, they only classic cartoons they show now is The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Scooby-Doo, Dexter's Laboratory, Tom and Jerry, The Smurfs, Popeye, The Powerpuff Girls, Johnny Bravo, The Snorks, Wacky Races, Cow and Chicken, Yogi Bear, Pink Panther, Captain Planet and I Am Weasel. 16 classics and they show some of them in a some sort of marathon every day. They don't need to show PPG and Dexter 4 times a day on the weekends. Heck, they should air a two-hour Cartoon Cartoon-style block every day from 9PM-11PM, just like last year in the summer, you know what I'm saying.

Can't they put The Flintstones and The Jetsons two times a day. since they have a lot of episodes, especially The Flintstones. Same with The Smurfs. And put PPG, Dexter, Chicken and Johnny on that two-hour Cartoon Cartoon-oriented nightly block from 9PM to 11PM, every night. Maybe an another repeat of the popular Dexter and PPG either late nights (after 11PM) or in the middle of the day (probably 2PM or 3PM is the best rerun slot). And get rid of Secert Saturdays, that show is not even 5 years old, I suggest it should be back on Cartoon Network, not Boomerang. Puppy in my Pocket should be on The Hub, not Boomerang, and it is the youngest show on Boomerang, so go away Puppy in my Pocket, you don't belong to Boomerang.

At least, they got rid of all of the live-action, except for Banana Splits, since it's produced by Hanna-Barbera.

What I want to see on Boomerang is more classic cartoons, including Looney Tunes and less non-classic cartoons. Even Ed, Edd n Eddy should be on Boomerang because it's been more than 10 years since it's debut. Plus, viewers want to see other classic cartoons like the Mumby Cartoon Show, Gumby, The Bugs Bunny Show and The Alvin Show. Not only that, we want to see older Canadian shows, Turner hasn't picked up like Ned's Newt and For Better or For Worse.

And one more thing, Boomerang should reboot its bumpers and its promos. It's getting old and it's unless. And stop puting Wacky Races and Penelope Pitstop at the same timeslot, which is 8AM and 8:30AM.

So what's next, puting Almost Naked Animals on Boomerang?

I gotta say, as of right now, Cartoon Network is better than Boomerang while Boomerang is not better than Cartoon Network. CN is returning some of its older favorites like The Flintsones and Chowder.

People pay a lot of money to see cartoon classics on Boomerang, but not to see newer cartoons.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2012
  2. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

There's nothing that Boomerang is "supposed" to show. Sure, there are things we'd like to see Boom air, but when all is said and done, Boom is nothing more than Cartoon Network's recycle bin; it makes Turner the least amount of money and it's ad-free. As such, Turner airs whatever they want to air on it.

The Munsters and The Addams Family were only there for Halloween, so I don't see that as a big deal. I can at least give those shows a marginal pass since a) they're at least cartoonish in nature, b) they fit in with the retro theme of Boomerang and c) even if those shows were to take full-time residence on Da Boom, there would still be an 80-20 ratio in favor of animation. Boom's airing Hole in the Wall was a cross-promotion; Turner has done this when promoting new shows before, like when Boom aired Out of Jimmy's Head for a week or so in 2007.

16 classic cartoons is actually a pretty good number, all things considered. Sure, there are plenty more shows in the Turner vault which Boom could be airing, but 16 classics is nothing to sneeze at. That's 16 more classic cartoons than any of the Disney channels are carrying right now.

Sure, Boom could be airing The Flintstones and The Jetsons twice a day, but they don't have to right now since both shows are currently airing on Cartoon Network. CN is also airing Looney Tunes right now, so I say enjoy the ride, since all of these shows could disappear from CN at any given time.

IMO Boom could be airing more than just 4 Cartoon-Cartoons. There are a lot of shows produced by Cartoon Network Studios which have been out of production for years and have never once aired on Boomerang. The reason for them not airing these shows can't be financial since they're all in-house productions and airing them on Boom wouldn't cost Turner a dime.

Why should The Secret Saturdays go away? a lot of people I know like that show and feel that it got a raw deal on CN, who basically pulled the plug on it prematurely and considered it a failure because kids weren't buying the merchandise based on the show. TSS isn't ever going to go back to CN because the current regime at Toon treats action shows with very little love, especially the ones which don't sell a ton of toys. TSS has a retro look and feel to it, so I say it fits fine on Boom (it's more of a variety than just re-airing Swat Kats and the first season of The Batman another umptee-seven times). I say instead of lamenting the fact that TSS is running on Boom, we should be thankful that Turner chose to re-air it anywhere at all. Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Sheep in the Big City, Time Squad and Megas XLR have been over for years now and Turner is presently acting as if these shows never existed for some reason.

Regarding Puppy in My Pocket: My guess is that Turner had to acquire PimP in order to get a 3rd party show that they actually wanted, and solved the "problem" by letting it run on autopilot on Boomerang rather than stick it on Cartoon Network where there's really no place for it. I'm not sure how you determined that PimP "belongs on The Hub"; if Hasbro didn't bid for it or wasn't interested in it, then it was never going there in the first place. Again, just because we think a show should go to a particular channel doesn't mean that it will. It all depends on which corporation makes a grab for it and who's prepared to pay.

What other live-action has Boom aired? Again, Addams Family and Munsters were only on there for a month, and Hole in the Wall was just a cross-promotion stunt. Turner never intended to run it there as a permanent fixture on the channel.

I agree that Turner could be running Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy on Boomerang even as I type, but Ed3 still airs on Cartoon Network from time to time, so it's not like Turner has forgotten the series. However, Turner doesn't have the broadcasting rights for Gumby, The Alvin Show, Ned's Newt or For Better or for Worse, so you won't be seeing any of them on Boomerang. With a limited budget, Turner can't just air whatever they want on Boom; It's costs $$$$$$$$$$$$ to acquire 3rd party shows, and with Boom running ad free, Turner wouldn't make back the money that would need to be shelled out in order to acquire them. The only way for Boom to start bringing in a crop of acquisitions would be for Boom to become an ad-supported channel with commercials to help pay for it's airtime.

Yes, yes Boomerang should make new bumpers and promos, but again those cost greenbacks. And with Boom making no additional money outside of subscription fees, where would the money to make new bumps come from?

So a network's quality is judged solely on how many older shows it carries? IMO Cartoon Network has been better than Boomerang for quite some time now.

That's just it: People aren't paying a lot of money to see anything on Boomerang. Boom is a digital extra channel which makes no money beyond subscription fees, advertisers won't go near it since they don't show anything new and it's only in 1/3 of the homes that Cartoon Network is in. Therefore, Turner doesn't feel any real sense of commitment to its' viewers and they pretty much just air whatever they choose to air on the channel. Like I said earlier, Boomerang is CN's recycle bin. Not a baby boomers' channel, not a Cartoon-Cartoons' channel, just Turner's junk bin which they stash the shows they don't care about in, That's all.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
  3. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier Wandering about in both ANGER & DISGRACE

Who Dares To Attmept a Rescue From My Lair?
    Let's face it...

Boomerang was going bad before when people running CN before (way before) Team Syncher realized it was nothing but a dumping ground for CN.

And this is me putting it simple and sweet, without repeating or directly agreeing with what Starbro says (even though he's absolutely correct).

Besides, when new stuff eventually takes most of the current stuff's place that is funded by CN another generation down the line, it'll end up on Boomerang soon enough. Probably not a desirable time, though - it is a dumping ground, after all.

Perhaps, if new leadership ever comes in and decides to clean up things, Boomerang could be a good start, to be brutally honest. If only to keep CN busy being the best #3 they can be...

4. Jazz1000

Jazz1000 The Sleep Eater

I Don't Mind Alot Shows Airing On Boom, But it Feel Like It CN's Trash Can As Long As Turner Can Find Any Show That They Have Rights/Or If It There Own Show They Will Air On Boom(Weather It A Live Action Or A Cartoon)

I Agreed With Starbro (Besides Ben 10 And Secret Saturdays Whitch Both Are New On Boom) I Wish Turner Aired More CN Originals On Boom And Ones That Doesnt Get Any Light In US Anymore Or CN Originals That You See On CN Alot(Ed Edd N Eddy Codename Kids Next Etc,)

5. Cartoon X

Cartoon X Lum the Forever

Boomerang is simply Cartoon Network's trach bin. They don't care what they air there, and not many other people care because so few people have the channel. It also helps that Boomerang's name is so ambiguous that they could potentially show anything. Yes, I now it's supposed to reference the fact they air cartoons from the boomerbaby era, but the name also presents they are showing shows that give you some sense of nostalgia.

As for the live action shows, well, Boomerang doesn't have cartoon in it's name, so even though we could hate on them feverently, at least they'll never be as bad as live action shows on Cartoon Network, where their mere presence insults their name.

And Puppy in my Pocket is airing early mornings where no one will see it, or care to see it. They are simply running the show in a death slot to fufill a contractual obligation. It won't lead to massive puppy repeats; it'll be gone once it's done.

But I agree that the cartoon cartoons are seriously overplayed. I would rather have them air the shows we know they have in their vault than repeats of the same Dexter and PPG episodes for the umteenth time.

Unfortuneately, that will never happen.

6. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Revengeful

Not to mention how long they've had Wacky Races and Penelope Pitstop on weekdays for such a long time (AM and/or PM) on just the 16-17 episodes each only has... since September 2008 I think looking at nickandmore's schedules.

7. The Nameless

The Nameless Demoted Regular

I wish they'd play Cow and Chicken more often (and I Am Weasel on its own), but that show apparently didn't do too well in the US and is something of a black sheep these days (though not to the extent of Sheep in the Big City or Time Squad, at least) to CN-US. And it's not that fondly remembered, from what I can gather.

8. Cartoon X

Cartoon X Lum the Forever

Full episodes of the show are available legally on CN Video, and Cow and Chicken has been airing regularly on Boomerang at a decent timeslot for years now, and they aired it a few years ago as an April Fools joke. They might not play it as much, but its telling that Cow and Chicken has full episodes on CN Video while KND and Courage, which have repeated on Cartoon Network frequently since their cancelations, no longer have them up, and its even more telling that C&C regained its show page even though before it was integrated into Boomerang's.

I think it's treated just fine. If any show is a black sheep, it's Sheep in the BIg City.

9. The Nameless

The Nameless Demoted Regular

Huh. I didn't know that.

And I resent Sheep getting the shaft too.

10. copper20

copper20 Member

One of my biggest gripes is that when they show Tom and Jerry, it's ALWAYS anything past Tot Watchers! Seriously, the only T&J cartoons that should be allowed on tv are the ones from 1940-1958, and no cheater cartoons either!

The Looney Tunes should be on that channel too instead of Pokemon, Ben 10, and that pocketville junk.

Another one is that they have promos in the middle of a show now. Seriously why do this now?

11. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

Why shouldn't the post-1958 Tom & Jerrys be allowed on TV? Because 1 person doesn't like them? Networks don't cater to the personal tastes of 1 individual. Anyway, most of the pre-1958 T&Js air on Cartoon Network (which is in thrice the homes that Boomerang plays in) daily, so I don't see how that's an issue. I don't know what you mean by "cheater cartoons", so I can't comment on that.

Here we go again with the "should"s and "shouldn't"s. Once more, there isn't anything that should or should not be airing on the channel. Just things that we'd like to see them run or not run. But ultimately Boomerang is Turner Broadcasting's channel so its' their final call to make what goes on Boom, not ours, and right now Turner chooses to use the channel as their personal trash bin.

Regarding Looney Tunes: Warner Bros. owns Looney Tunes, not Turner; Turner has to pay WB in order to run the LT shorts, which curently air on Cartoon Network. They'd likely have to pay extra to run the shorts on both channels simultaneously. And again, CN is in far more homes than Boom is, so does it really matter where you see the Looney Tunes as long as you're seeing them?

Regarding Pokemon and Ben 10: 4 of the Cartoon-Cartoons air on Boom right now, so I don't see why these shows can't. Both series are earlier incarnations of the ones which run currently on CN, so they technically fit into Boom's nostalgic "It's all coming back to you" dictum, like that even matters to Turner anymore. People really need to stop trying to pigeonhole Boomerang as strictly a baby boomers' network, 'cause it isn't just that anymore, it hasn't been just a boomers' channel for some time now. Somewhere down the line, the baby boomers' had their own babies, and those kids grew up with the Caroon-Cartoons, Ben 10 and Pokemon. If a show's old enough for someone to remember them nostalgically, then that show is fit to run on Boom. Anyway, you're not being forced to watch either of them, so where's the harm in them running there? These shows won't be going away anytime soon, and time is always moving forward, so the boomers are just going to have to learn to share.

And I really don't get why so many people have their collective undies in a bunch over Boom airing Pocketville. I'm certainly not defending the show (I haven't seen it nor do I have any intention to) but it's clear that Turner merely acquired the series to fulfill some contractual obligation and are airing it in a death slot on their least watched channel in order to fulfill said obligation. Turner clearly doesn't have any major plans for Pocketville, otherwise it would be airing on Cartoon Network. It's really no different than Boom airing Gerald Mc Boing-Boing and The Mr. Men Show in the mornings. If Pocketville were airing several times a day, then these gripes might be legitimate, but as it stands it only airs when most of us are at work or in school, so it's an easy show to ingore. And again, just because a show airs on a channel doesn't mean that you have to watch it. I never understaood why people choose to complain about shows they don't like when just swicthing them off and ignoring them is pain-free, costs nothing and is so much easier to do.

It's for the same reason why Disney Channel airs promos in the middle of their shows. It's called 'show business', after all. Again, Turner pretty much does whatever they want on Boomerang because they don't really care about the channel, and they're not receiving that many complaints about what they do on Boom because so few people are watching it. For those who want Turner to start caring about Boomerang, the only way for that to happen is for Boom to become a commercial channel. If Boom suddenly became dependent on ratings and revenues to survive, then Turner would start caring about it big time. The hard truth is that Boomerang is going to stay exactly the way it is now until Turner decides to either terminate the channel or change it into something else entirely.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2012
  12. copper20

copper20 Member

Thrice the homes that boomerang plays in? You have not watched boomerang lately. Some days it's just Jones/Deitch/Filmation. And a little note here, hardly anyone likes those.

Cheater Cartoons are cartoons that have clip-shows, you know like Jerry's Diary, Smarty Cat, etc.?

And Looney Tunes aren't turner's? Okay that's acceptable.

13. josie

josie Active Member

But aren't pre 1948 Looney Tunes owned by Turner?? In Europe all Turner channels always play these and some who pay the rights for post 1948 show them as well (UK, France, Germany).

14. copper20

copper20 Member

Nope, only Warner Bros has the copyright, so that's why they can't show 'em on Boomerang.

But it would be nice if Warner Bros had a channel with Looney Tunes on for 4 hours a day or more.

15. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

I was referring to Cartoon Network; it is in thrice as many homes as Boomerang, largely because a) CN is basic cable on most systems and b) CN is a comemrcial network.

What evidence to you have that "hardly anyone likes the Jones/Deitch/Filmation T&Js"? Have you polled people? Do you have actual numbers to support this statement? Just because you and/or selected people you know don't like them doesn't mean that no one enjoys them. "I don't like these cartoons" isn't a valid reason to say that they shouldn't be allowed on the air, since the viewer always has the option to simply not watch them.

Lots of theatrical cartoon franchises have made 'clip shorts': Looney Tunes, Popeye, Tom & Jerry, etc. I'm not a big fan of these either, but again, I don't see why they should be excluded from airing just because you don't like them. Why make Boom's roster of cartoons even more limited than it is now? Just don't watch the cartoons you don't like. Problem solved.

16. josie

josie Active Member

I also hate those ugly bizzare Deitch shorts. Even Jones shorts are not good imo, characters are very feminine, storylines daft. Sadly they are regularly in rotation on Boomerang Europe and CN.

17. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

Guys, I think we're burying the lead here, let's try to stay on-point. The topic of this thread isn't how we personally feel about the Gene Deitch and Chuck Jones Tom & Jerry shorts. I'm well aware of the hate the Deitch shorts receive, but whether or not we like or dislike certain cartoons has no bearing on how Boomerang is performing as a channel. Again, "I don't like those cartoons" isn't a good reason to want them off the air, as you aren't being forced to watch any of them.

I don't care for the post-movie Powerpuff Girls episodes, but I'm not complaining that they shouldn't be allowed on TV; I just don't watch the eps I don't like.

Regardless of whether I like them or not, I'd personally rather get the full filmography of cartoons from a particular franchise rather just than a select few, but that's just my opinion. Again, I don't see the point of making Boom's roster any more limited than it already is.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2012
  18. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Feel Happy!

Well, if Boomerang is supposed to be a classic animation channel, why do they even bother to air them in the first place?, even through they are just airing them as a promotion.

19. Mark The Shark

Mark The Shark New Member

Boomerang has been showing some Warner Bros. cartoons recently as filler, usually following The New Scooby-Doo Movies (alternating with M-G-M cartoons). Friday night their online schedule lists "Patient Porky" following The Powerpuff Girls.

Just in case anyone is interested...

20. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

Why air sitcoms in the first place? Because Turner doesn't care. And Boomerang isn't supposed to be a classic animation channel. Not anymore.

The Munsters/Addams airings could have been Turner merely fulfilling a contractual commitment, Turner could be testing the waters to see how well classic sitcoms would do on the channel, who knows? Since Da Boom is "off the grid", as it were, Turner doesn't go out of their way to announce their plans for the channel.

And please, seriously, enough with the "supposed to"s. The current Boomerang is nothing more than a dumping ground for Cartoon Network. That's all it is. It stopped being a classic animation channel the second it began airing Voltron, Pokemon, Justice League/Unlimited, Dexter's Lab, Cow & Chicken, Mike, Lu & Og, Samurai Jack, The Powerpuff Girls, Johnny Bravo, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Gerald Mc Boing-Boing, Krypto the Superdog, Baby Looney Tunes, The Mr. Men Show, Ben 10, Teen Titans and The What-A-Cartoon Show. I know some of us like to believe and project the ideal that Turner has a true devotion to airing classic cartoons and that they hold Boomerang sacred, but they don't, really. They have no reason to.

As long as Boomerang remains an ad-free recycle bin, there's nothing that it's "supposed to be". Turner puts whatever they want to put on Boom because it's only in a tiny handful of homes, it isn't dependent on ratings to survive and it makes Turner no real money. Until (or unless) Boom starts turning a profit for Turner, then Turner doesn't care enough about the channel to follow any specific concrete agenda. I really don't know why this is such a hard concept for folks to grasp.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2012