1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Bob's Burgers" is Getting a Movie

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by CoolEric158, Oct 4, 2017.

1. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 She rocks both ways.

With the success of Sponge Out of Water, we've been getting a lot of theatrical films based on currently-running cartoons, and now "Bob's Burgers" is one of them.

Deadline just posted the news, with the film expected to release on July 17, 2020. I'm quite surprised this show was chosen over all of the other Fox shows currently running, but considering "Bob's" is one of my favorite TV shows currently airing today, I really don't mind this show being chosen, and I hope it becomes a success, both to sustain the show's run and to bring more adult animated features in multiplexes.

What say you?

• Like Like x 3
  2. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Well-Known Member

A lot sooner than it took for The Simpsons to get a movie, that's for sure.

The way I could see a Bob's Burgers movie working is if it's a full fledged Broadway style musical - and considering how musical the show is already, I'd be more surprised if that wasn't what they were going for. Plot wise...I'm not sure what kind of story they could pull off for something this ambitious. It's far more low key and grounded in nature compared to the rest of FOX's animated lineup, so we'd never see The Belchers move to Alaska or their town being encapsulated inside a dome. But, it is two and a half years away from now, so I guess there's still a lot of time until then.

3. SuperFan2024

SuperFan2024 Shoo fly.

#3 SuperFan2024, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  4. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow. The My Little Pony movie didn't even come out yet, yet it resulted in what I thought would occur: a new surge in animated films based off of TV shows! Granted CoolEric158 is right that the Spongebob movie's success is a big factor. Regardless, this is great!

I'm really excited for this movie. Bob's Burgers is a such good show, and I always feel that any show that manages to last more than five seasons definitely warrants a theatrical film! And what's great is that it's an animated movie targeted towards older audiences, films we seriously don't get enough of in American theaters. Maybe PG-13 animated movies will take off better than R rated animated films like Sausage Party (why didn't we get any more afterwards?)
    Anyways, I'm very excited and can't wait to hear more about it!

What do you guys think the movie will be about?

5. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

Was "Sponge Out of Water" even that big a success? Because I certainly don't remember it setting the world on fire or anything like "The Rugrats Movie" did, which kick-started the first age of animated films based on shows.

Personally, I'm quite glad this one is getting a film, largely because the show has been Fox's sleeper hit of the decade and has shown enough promise to merit this kind of treatment.

6. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 She rocks both ways.

Obviously it wasn't as monumental as something like Rugrats, considering Rugrats came out at a time when Disney was the only animation studio making huge bucks, and Sponge Out of Water with multiple big hits from multiple studios, but considering the film made over $325 million on a $74 million budget, I'd say it was pretty successful. And with such a massive influx of films that just got announced in the past couple of years, how many years animated movies take to be made, as well as MLP not expected to be anywhere near as big as Spongebob in the box office (Deadline estimates the film will garner around $15 million or so on its opening weekend), it seems as if Sponge Out of Water played a little bit of a part in the recent "animated movie based on cartoon" boom, at least in my humble opinion.

7. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Not to mention Sponge Out of Water made over twice as much as the first film did back in 2004.
    Ya know, even though SOoW wasn't marketed as such, it was a mostly 2D animated film. And I believe it's safe to assume that other upcoming films based on animated shows will also be 2D animated, it's great to see those types coming back to theaters as well!

8. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

The only reason it took so long for the Simpsons to get a movie is because it took years for the creative team behind the series to work on a plot and story long enough to make a movie and set aside time while still making the show to get a film going. There have been talks throughout it's entire run of the Simpsons having a movie. Hell the writing staff admits some of the staff wanted "Kamp Krusty" the season 4 opener to be a potential movie as they really liked the idea and set up for that as a film but couldn't come up with enough plot to barely make that 20 minutes let alone feature length. So it was kicking long before the 17 year mark to make a movie it was just something that took a long time to gestate. Which is honestly the case for most films based on TV shows if the show is still running. Plus sometimes the creative staff may just not care about turning their TV series into a film. I'm sure Seth MacFarlane was offered at least a few times by now to make a Family Guy animated movie but obviously he and his team don't have any interest in doing so. Though the same interest obviously is shared by Loren Bouchard and his team.

Sponge Out Of Water is actually a more successful movie then The Rugrats Movie (Rugrats only made 100 million while Spongebob 2 made 162 million) but I can sort of understand your confusion if you're just comparing it to the other animated movies coming out now. Since even in 2015 Spongebob 2 placed... in the middle of the wide release animated films. Above stuff like Shaun of the Sheep, Strange Magic, Peanuts and even Good Dinosaur but below Hotel Transylvania 2, Minons, Home and Inside Out. However not only was Spongebob a cheaper film to make (it has the same production budget as Minions but not nearly as large a promotion budget) but in an age mostly totally dominated in animation by pure CGI films either lead by top studios with their original top brands (Pixar, Illmuniation, Dreamworks, Blue Sky, Sony Animated, etc) the fact something based on a show still running using mostly 2D animation to do so well is seen as quite a worthy success story. I mean remember the weekend Spongebob: Sponge Out of Water came out it easily crushed movies with at least over twice as big a budget as it that had been based on either successful book series (Seventh Son) or from acclaimed directors (The Wachoskis had Jupiter Ascending come out that same weekend) thus proving to be a hit and still something well critically received. And as others pointed out the animation age was different in the 90's then it is now but I think the same concept behind Rugrats worked here: this showed that smaller studios using their properties don't have to spend the money or get the long built acclaim of major animation studios to make hit animated movies. Rugrats at the time was seen as amazing as it was the first non Disney animated movie to make over a 100 million dollars at the box office and made studios flood the market with other small screen to big screen hits of that era. Which did dry up after a few years as very few even proved to be successful but stuff like Sponge Out of Water reignited that passion and if these movies prove successful it could be a new second wave of animated featuers which honestly I welcome as it provides some massive variety from the movies we do have.

And honestly stuff like Sausage Party shows adult animated features can still be profitable and yeah that has a totally different tone then Bob's Burgers but I could see it as another example studios using to turn Loren Bouchard's show into a movie. And honestly I'm for it since though I haven't seen a lot of Bob's Burgers what I have seen has been yeah charming and witty and very amusing. And honestly it's a different kind of show then usual Prime time animated series (not just ones by Groening or MacFarlane but stuff from the 90's/2000's explosion of prime time animated series to stuff that even pops up now or Adult Swim series) and honestly would do well in a longer format with larger stakes. Honestly some series really can't do that (Family Guy due to it's jokey structure really can't) but Bob's Burgers could. Plus it will be nice to see H Jon Benjamin have a major voice over film role in something.

9. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

I can see Bob's Burgers being a movie more than TTG at least, so there's that,

I am happy this is happening though, and I guess in a roundabout way 2D animation is making a comeback in theaters...not in the way some of us would've hoped albeit.

10. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

As much as I do like this show, I don't think this is the best idea ever for a movie... Look, I am glad to see a redurgance of 2D in theatres, but in the future, it would be very awesome to see some original films - provided what's coming out also proved to be profitable, of course. Yeah, that's gonna take awhile. Well, I'm more interested in seeing if Bob's Burgers can pull this off more than that ponu show, anyway, so I'll keep an eye on this.

11. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 Active Member

Let me know when they finally show Louise without the hat even for just a minute.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

12. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

Wasn't an entire episode subplot in like season 2 about a bully taking her hat?

13. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 Active Member

But they didn't show her head, I hate that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

14. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

Another show getting a movie. Out of most shows this movie is different considering that this isn't a kid show compared to the others. I got to admire that Fox gave this show a chance for a movie, but then again it is the only show right now for the animated material on their block to really look up to the task.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

15. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

If this means the possibiltiy of more Bob's Burgers all the way to 2020, all the more better. I love this show, so it's nice to see it get an even bigger leg up in theater.

16. JTOONSAnimation

JTOONSAnimation Active Member

I'm glad this show is getting a movie

When this show began it was just "another mediocre Fox cartoon"

But the show has grown so much since and I'm glad that 20th Century Fox is doing this.

17. Dantheman

Dantheman Active Member

Maybe that's one thing the movie will do. Remember how we first saw Kenny's face in South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut?