1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Bob Smith

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by Salvor, May 4, 2001.

1. Salvor

Salvor You can't take a picture of it

Is it just me or did he do a terrific job on the latest BGA issue? I hate to say it but I think his art style is much more dynamic than Tim Levins'... I mean, every single pannel the guy draws looks like one of his beautiful and sophisticated covers... and his sense of storytelling is quite impressive too.

What did you guys think?

2. Clayface

Clayface Molecularly Malleable Mod

Actually, I thought his drawings looked awfully misproportioned in quite a few places throughout the book. Often times, the characters heads are mis-shapen, and change size and shape from panel to panel. If I had the issue in front of me right now, I'd point out some specific panels, but from what I remember, Tim's head was strangely trinagular shaped in several places. I'd say Levins' latest artwork has been much better then Smith's work on this issue.

3. Salvor

I loved those triangular shapes atually. And come on, the guy just knows how to use perspective and dynamic figures! ... which is something that Levins doesn't do that well (but he's a fabulous artist too!)

4. Clayface

Clayface Molecularly Malleable Mod

I just don't agree. I don't think his use of perspective is all that great, and I don't find his drawings any more dynamic than any of the stuff I've seen by Levins.

5. Salvor

ah well ;)

6. The Flash

The Flash Fastest Man Alive

I'll agree he does draw perspective really good......but I like the way Levins does the characters better, personally. :)

7. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

The Art

I've never been a fan of Bob Smith's covers. There are a few that are real nice, his earlier ones for example. But he adds too much lines on occasion when it should be simple. You can see this on some of his past covers. I just find Tim Levins a better artist for the series than Smith. While I don't 100% like Levin's Batman, he can pull off the rest of the crew nicely. I just don't like Smith's work. I was dissapointed this issue...

8. The Flash

The Flash Fastest Man Alive

Yes I agree. I'm glad Batman wasn't in this ish....I HATE the way Smith draws him!! Way too many lines.......such as the abs......

9. Domino

Domino Active Member

You know, the funny thing about Levins' pages is that nearly every one of them is a nice page that I wouldn't mind owning the original for. He always makes the heroes look good.

10. I like Tim Levins' work.

I agree with most of what you guys said. Personally, I prefer Levin's work. I like the way he suggests mass with minimal detail, focusing on shape. I also really like the way he organizes his pages. There's not a lot of crazy perspective for it's own sake and the artwork isn't too busy and cluttered. Levin's style is very easy on the eyes. It seems like there is just the right amount of stuff on each page.:)

11. Salvor

Well, this is a "we love you Tim" board so I guess nobody will agree with me ;) Anyway I do agree with you guys on Levins' amazing talent: he has a very simple style and can provide some great storytelling. But to me, his "very easy on the eyes" pages aren't daring enough. I think the Bruce Timm animated style is all about smoothness and dynamism. People like Rick Burchett, Aluir Amancio (sp?) or Mike Manley just get the style. Tim Levins does too, but since he apparantly prefers using his own art style (which is great!), as a result, I must say I happen to crave after some more staggering POVs, and some mind-boggling shots.

I'm quite astonished by your comments actually. I expected more enthusiasm! Personally, I'm looking forward to Smith's next issue... but on the other hand, I'm looking forward to Levins' upcoming issue as well.

12. Interesting, the anti Bob Smith sentiment on the board considering he is one of the premiere story board artists to work for the Animated series shows (Superman, Batman, Batman Beyond). He also boarded the best part of the Return of the Joker video (the flashback in Arkham). Admittedly, his covers for the comics aren't that good and lack focus.

13. James Harvey

More

Bob Smith's artwork just didn't impress me one bit, even his covers are sorta ugly. I've been drawing and studying art for 11 or 12 years, and I like to think I have a good grasp on it. I've been drawing 'that way", based on Timm's, Templeton's, and Parobeck's work since 1992, but I've been drawing since 1984 or so. Hell, I was gonna be an animator (#25 in a possible class of 525) before I discovered my gift for Journalism. I just found his storytelling lacking, only trying to emphasize angles. I just don't like his art. He has some good ideas, but poor execution, like the cover to B:GA #17. An awesome angle and looks great far away, but not that great a pic. He's a good artist, but not an animated artist. The animated way focuses on simplicity in design. He doesn't. He hads tonnes of unnecessary lines, which bogs and clogs the art. Speakin' of which, I'll try and get some of my art up as soon as I can!

And that "we love Tim" board? A bit immature, eh? So what if alot of people like his art. He's a great artist and deserves the recognition. I'd love to see him and Templeton team up for an ish. Of course, I also have a secret agenda for this team-up, since like myself, they're fellow Canadians. I think he grasps the animated style which he's able to use to his benefit and mix in his own style, which provides a nice mix. All I ask is for him to improve his Batman a bit more. And speakin' of which, Aluir Almancio is a great artist who's first SUPERMAN ADVENTURES issue, #16, was done so perfectly. Since then he's become so comfortable that he's strayed a bit from the animated style, using his own stylings, and mixed. A great example of this is issue #49.

And just don't get me started on Neil Vokes. Even his early work on THE MASK ADVENTURES sucked. I hope he stays far away from JUSTICE LEAGUE ADVENTURES. I'd love to see Min S. Ku, Manley, and Almancio (ya got it) as a rotating art team, but Almancio may be heading for bigger pastures, having done a recent issue of ACTION COMICS.

But in the end, it's all what the person prefers

14. Salvor

Re: More

Huh that "immature" thing... I was just pointing out the fact that many many people seem to like him better than Smith. No sarcasm intended, really!

15. Oh and Bob Smith is also Canadian. smile.

16. Salvor

by the way Dick

Again, sorry for sounding like a jerk. We just don't agree on Smith I guess. I consider his "poor art" much better than most of the animated stuff we get to see.

Anyway, I really want to see some of your art!

17. James Harvey

He is?

Where does he hail? It's funny how the majority of the creative team is Canadian? Ha! Man, we kick butt! And welcome 'double dee'. It's great seeing new faces everyday. Who's you're favrite animated comic artist?

18. Not to be flip, but Bruce Timm originated the style and he's still the best. Aluir would be a distant second after that, although I never liked Terry Austin's hard inking on his work.

19. James Harvey

By The Way, Salvor

Yeah, and we seem very passionate about our choices. As they say, diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. Maybe I just need to see more of his work. And I didn't know he did storyboards for ROTJ - cool! I'd love to see Darwyn Cooke do an issue or even a cover of this book! Have you seen his work? Amazing!

20. James Harvey

Almancio & Austin

I agree with Austin inking too heavily. I think Beatty should be 'the" animated inker. You can easily see Austin' influence in any of th eissues he inked. On the plus side, he makes Neil Vokes art somewhat tolerable. I think that Mike Parobeck and Ty Templeton are just behind Timm as animated artists, followed by Burchett, Almancio & Levins.