1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Black Panther" Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by MDawg, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I've heard a lot of good buzz around Creed, so if this goes through, I'd definitely be cool with seeing what he could bring to Black Panther :).

2. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Creed actually looks really good honestly plus unlike Ava DuVernay, I think Ryan Coogler is someone more willing to "play ball" with the idea of working within an actual continuity and canon he doesn't have full control over. I mean yeah he did a lot of work on Creed but sure that was looked over quite a bit not only by MGM but Sylvester Stallone as well so if that works I'm sure it's a sign he would do well in franchise films. Also unlike say the Russo Brothers or James Gunn, I think Creed will be more of a showcase of his talents as an action director that would lead more credence to working on something like Black Panther. Yeah I did really enjoy Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy but looking at any of their previous work I wouldn't of thought that'd be the case while here it'd make more sense.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I've been watching Age of Ultron the past few days and given some of the set up plus gazing once again at Fury's facial scars -- mix that with recent Panther news and a better look at the Klaue file -- I'm starting to think perhaps Fury got his scars from T'Chaka (maybe T'Challa). Since Wolverine is out of the picture, Panther could be a candidate.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

Interesting theory. And we do know Fury has been to Wakanda or at least has some knowledge of it since there was a blip in Africa over that superhuman activity map in Iron Man 2.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Based on 'Fruitvale', I think Coogler can do a good job with this. I would prefer someone with more experience, but I doubt BP will be a cgi fest or anything.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

6. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Indeed. I would wager a bet the World Security Council wanted to open up Wakanda and get more Vibranium but in keeping with 'keeping the world as it was' credo that Fury espoused in TWS, he probably disagreed and set up a S.H.I.E.L.D. field office near Wakanda and helped keep its borders unmolested. But something happened and the person Fury trusted that one time got his left eye lost. Then fast forward, with the Klaue history. And I'd better HYDRA tried to, is, or is planning to get into Wakanda post-TWS. Probably what Zemo is after in Civil War and he manipulates the Accords plot to keep them distracted while he loots the country and all the while Panther is gone.

• Like Like x 1
  7. the greenman

8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Hopefully they can finally land a director for this, especially given Coogler's pedigree :D.

9. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

And now having seen Creed (which I really do enjoy and is IMHO one of the best films of the year) I think Coogler would be a good fit for it and quite honestly, Creed did a good job of showing how he can work as an action director. Okay there's a difference between boxing and the action of a super hero movie but again the Russo Brothers and James Gunn showed impressive chops their first time around in such a field so I think Coogler could nail this role quite well if offered.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. RoryWilliams

Feige briefly talked about the movie in Empire.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. the greenman

I don't get it. Last film before Infinity War? They still have Antman 2 and Captain Marvel. So are those Phase 4?

12. RoryWilliams

Ant-Man and the Wasp and Captain Marvel both come out after Infinity War Part 1.

Black Panther is in February 2018, Infinity Part 1 is May, and Ant-Man and the Wasp is July. Captain Marvel doesn't drop until March of the following year.

13. the greenman

Yes, but the pivotal thing he said was BP was the last PHASE 3 film before IW. We know there is a connection from it to IW, but to say the last PHASE 3 film sounds suspect.

14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The geo-political aspect and T'Challa having to deal with ruling Wakanda while also, in all likelihood, dealing with the death of his father was about what I expected. That his story is going to be very important going into Infinity War, I was not expecting o_O.

I wonder if it might have something to do with how he interacts with the team post-Civil War, maybe having inducted himself onto the team as a provision of the accords and having to deal with that is part of the plot for his solo movie? Though I can't imagine a heavy Avengers presence in T'Challa's solo movie.

It could mean a change in his perspective that makes him more liable to work with the team or willing to really be an Avenger after his movie is over :).

And considering what they've been doing with Zemo and Mordo, I'm definitely curious to see what they'll do about the film's villain. Klaw's highly likely to be in it, but I'm also curious if they might use M'Baku/Man-Ape and maybe combine him with Killmonger to do away with some of the more...out there, aspects of M'Baku.

• Like Like x 1
  15. the greenman

Well, I think we can pretty much bet Klaw will be the main antagonist. The sequels will be interesting to see for villians.

I wish they had the rights to Red Ghost. I suspect they might steal an Iron Man villain for the sequel.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, there's still a plethora of Iron Man rogues still left for use. Moreso if we take into account that, with Vanko being a composite of so many Iron Man villains, we never had a proper Crimson Dynamo or Titanium Man.

17. the greenman

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Okay, then if that's the case...it's about time :D.