1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Black Panther" Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by MDawg, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Jean74

Jean74 Ready for Halloween

Bet Chadwick is gaining a lot of muscle for his role. Will be one heck of a movie!

2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

3. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Oh, she directed that acclaimed Martin Luthor film recently. I've only heard good things about it.

4. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

5. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Before this diversity notion, I wanted to see Neil Blomkamp (because he's South African), but now after three films that were barely good I think not. Even still Marvel wants an AA to direct, which is proper. They still got Antoine Fuqua and F. Gary Gray, but they're more serious action and crime film guys than sci-fi. But if chosen, they could deliver the goods, but I fear politics would prevent either of them from doing it. Marvel seems to have a strick style.

6. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

I think honestly this does paint Marvel in a bad light. Yeah Ava is being very nice about it, but it's pretty obvious Miss DuVernay proposed some ideas and thoughts of how to make the Black Panther movie that obviously wouldn't fit with the Marvel brand they're trying to push. And granted I get that with the MCU you have to think not of the one movie but of the film series as a whole, but it's pretty obvious that stiffens director creativity more then Feige or others want to admit. And this is a problem that probably's been popping up for years but has only been noticed before. Yeah people got on Farveu and Marvel for Iron Man 2 but that was seen more of just over stuffing a sequel and obviously Farvou didn't carry too many grudges. I think Kenneth Braungth also didn't much care for the Marvel process but eh IMHO the original Thor's the weakest MCU film so I don't think he was that big a loss either. And then there was the whole Edgar Wright diabocial which carried a serious dour cloud but even that could be argued that considering how long it had taken to even make an Ant Man movie, ideas had changed over time. But with what Whedon said about Marvel after Ultron dropped and stuff like this... it does not paint a good image. Well I wish Ava well in whatever she works on next and hope whoever does take over for Black Panther carries a lot of passion for the character and can work well with the Marvel thought process on how to treat these characters.

7. the greenman

MARVEL has always been in a bad light, because they have a strict idea of what they want to do. We don't exactly know what the process is. Maybe they wanted to toss in some Wu-Tang music while he's creating something or fighting and DuVernay wasn't feeling that. Maybe they wanted T'Challa to be less smarter than Tony Stark and Banner. Who knows.

I didn't dislike THOR, but I wonder what must be compared by criteria to give the weakest entry. When fans have the Iron Man sequels and Incredible Hulk on their list as weak? However, I didn't care for the entire of Thor being an alien, no Donald Blake, and the chemistry between Hemsworth and Portman was aweful. The film successfully gave us a proper merging of Simonson and Kirby aesthetic mostly underneath the Ultimate Thor, a very cool Loki, comedic relief (arguably the best from all MCU films) with the supporting cast, and a pretty good after cred scene.

8. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Again though more people are coming out about it even BEFORE the movie's being made. And they can't even hide behind the blanket of "all our decisions make us the most money" with Ultron's less then expected gross. Which I don't think is a sign of a major downfall but it is the first Marvel movie studios sequel not to make as much as the original which is something worth noting.

I doubt it's a factor of intelligence or having rap music play as Marvel tries being faithful to the spirit of the character from the comics and from what I know just saying that wouldn't fit Black Panther. It could be that Ava didn't want as much action and Marvel would push for more of that. I think you also have to remember they probably want to go with a storyline or theme that works with the other movies they have within the MCU so probably run a tight ship on that which Ava likely didn't agree with.

Weakest to me means the least generally enjoyable. I don't think Thor is bad or anything and in fact is the first Marvel Studios movie I saw and I liked it enough to want to check out the other movies but I just didn't like it as much as the others. Didn't care for the opening stuff on Asgard or the romance and of all the obvious character arcs, Thor's was the most painfully obvious to go through. Honestly I liked the second movie a lot more then the first and hope that remains true for the third movie.

As for Black Panther, I have a feeling we'll know the direction his movie is going to go after his appearance in Civil War and any reason why Ava chose to pass up the movie will probably come through more then anywhere else.

9. the greenman

I was kinda being facetious with the Rap/hip-hop music and stuff. I was simply saying, we don't really know what MARVEL wanted to push on her. Kudos to her to step away before it got too late.

As for THOR, no it is certainly not in my top 5, and after this month probably will leave my top 10. Branagh actually didn't mind it much, I think MARVEL was at fault in that relationship. That movie actually has the best acting performances (besides Portman) in the MCU films so far, because of the director. The casting of Hemsworth, Hiddleston, Elba, Hopkins, Russo, Skarsgard, Dennings, was inspired. Heck even Sif and the Warriors Three worked for me.

10. Freddy

Freddy Active Member

Where is this talk about Branagh having bad memories about Marvel coming from? In every interview, he has praised his experience on working on the first Thor movie and only reason why he didn't direct The Dark World was scheduling conflicts.

11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So, just the usual of the director wanting or desiring to have more of a voice on the project and the commitment involved leading to them departing amicably from the gig. Seems par for the course at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

14. the greenman

• Informative Informative x 1
    #34 the greenman, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  15. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

Interesting Joe Robert Cole was announced to be writing an Inhumans movie a long time ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. the greenman

It's possible he was/is in contention for director as well. Nothing wrong with writing both those films. I'm excited to see who they get for casting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Nice to get more, relatively positive, crew news for Panther's movie ;).

18. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

Looks like Cole wrote an Inhumans script that was a good enough draft to get the movie greenlit, but he'll be doing the final screenplay for Black Panther.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Obviously haven't seen Creed yet, but if the film ends up being as good as the latest trailer promises, I'll be pleased to see him direct the film.

• Agree Agree x 2