1. Episode 12 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-12/

We discuss the 2017 Best Animated Feature and Best Animated Short Oscar winners and nominees, what video games we're playing, what upcoming games we’re looking forward to, what’s different about the Nintendo Switch launch vs. the Wii or Wii U, why we loved the original Samurai Jack run and what we're looking forward to in the Season 5 premiere, which had not yet aired at the time of recording.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Enter for a chance to win "Adventure Time: Islands" on DVD! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Big Hero 6: The Series" News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by jaylop97, Mar 2, 2016.

1. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

Wasabi looks a little weird a little too bulky, dude was big in the movie but here he looks like a body builder

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  2. Greg91

Greg91 Member

I'm so excited! Most of the cast is returning and the few recasts sound great including Khary Payton as Wasabi (which you correctly guessed, Troy). I'm also glad Stan Lee is back as Fred's dad plus Maya Rudolph is back as Aunt Cass! I love that aunt! :D It sounds like supporting characters will round out the line-up. I wonder if Heathcliff will support the team on missions like Alfred from Batman.

The art looks a little more angular than I expected. I was expecting the Tangled show animation, but it still looks pretty good. Plus I'm sure it'll look better in motion. Lastly, since the Kim Possible crew is behind this, I expect some great action!

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I really like the art style they're going with. Very stylized, but the characters still look recogonizable and in-line with their designs from the movie, and I'm sure it'll look great in animation :D.

I'm glad they were able to get most of the main cast and team back, though I am surprised they weren't able to get TJ Miller back since he reprised his role as Tuffnut for the How to Train Your Dragons cartoon o_O.

It's going to be weird not hearing Miller as Fred Damon Wayans Jr. as Wasabi, though I'm sure their replacements will do a good job and Khary Payton (as pointed out by Troy) is as fitting a VA for Wasabi as you could get ;).

And who could object to having Stan Lee reprise his role as Fred's dad? Maybe we'll get to see him as an active Superhero this time :anime:?

I really have to wonder who "Duff Blunder" is, but having Diedrich bader as his VA gives me a good idea of what his character will be like :p.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Formally LegoFan224

The art style reminds me of the second season of American Dragon, which makes sense since Nick Filippi is working on this show too.

• Like Like x 3
  5. RetroPokeFan

RetroPokeFan New Member

Really nice art style, it's stylized but it's still true to the movie's design. Also the fact they got most of the cast back is really great. (Surprised TJ Miller isn't returning though) This does look set to be a great series overall. I'd kill to see Stan Lee return, that would make my day.;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. thisguyisnotcool

thisguyisnotcool Active Member

Reminds me of how top heavy some Kim Possible characters where . :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The press release confirms that Stan Lee will be reprising his role as Fred's Dad :D.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. RetroPokeFan

RetroPokeFan New Member

Yesssss!

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Too bad TJ won't be involved. He has such a distinctive voice.

It would be cool if we saw some of the more obscure Marvel properties teased within the world of this show. I'm really curious as to what kind of threats we'll see them face.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Y'know, I wonder when they'll air the show and at what timeslot? Maybe with the tangential Marvel connection they might air it Sunday mornings alongside one of the main Marvel shows?

• Like Like x 1
  11. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

I was never a KIM POSSIBLE fan, but the character designs for BH6 look OK to me. There are 2 things that I would like to see from this series.

1. I would like to see Go Go,Fred,and Wasabi become more similar to their original comic book versions by having them gain the same super powers as their original comic book counterparts.

2. I would like it be revealed that Go Go,Wasabi,Fred, and Honey are all half Japanese since I think that it was wrong that the movie adaption technically race bent these characters. I say "technically" since the movie version of BH6 was a complete reimagining/revamp of the concept similar to how DC reimagined/revamped the whole concept of Green Lantern when they relaunched the character in the silver age.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I could see Disney XD doing that, but it is more likely to air in a prime time slot than a weekend morning one. And I feel there is a suitable new show in 2017 to pair Big Hero 6: The Series up with for a new "action hour" on Disney XD, assuming that the news about this other show airing on Disney XD is accurate: Mega Man. It would make sense to me: Big Hero 6 is in part inspired by famous Japanese characters, and would be paired with an actual famous Japanese video game character's show.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Greg91

Greg91 Member

I think the filmmakers wanted to add more racial diversity to the cast so that's why they changed Wasabi and Fred's races. GoGo and Honey are the same race as their comic counterparts (though Honey Lemon is born in Japan and is a Japanese citizen).

I would like to see more of the chef side of Wasabi and more samurai-like fighting moves. But like you said, this is a reimagined version of Big Hero 6 so I'm not sure if we'll see more comic aspects of the characters included in the show.
    Maybe but Disney is keeping Big Hero 6 separate from other Marvel properties. So I suppose it could air before or after the Marvel Universe block, but that's the closest Marvel connection I imagine we'll see.
    That sounds pretty great to me! And they both related to Man of Action (who created Big Hero 6 in the comics and are working on the Mega Man show).

14. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

I think that it was less about the filmmakers wanting to add more racial diversity to the cast of characters and more about them not wanting to have an animated movie with an all Asian cast. Heck, they even made Hiro half white in the film (he was full blooded Japanese in e comic). This smacks of borderline white washing to me.

I could be wrong, but I think that Honey Lemon is Latina in the movie.

I would also like to see more of Wasabi's chef side and more samurai fighting skils.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So I finally saw the movie earlier today since I heard great things about it and I wanted to watch it before this series premiered. It was really good. It had good action, fun characters, great visuals and quite a few heartwarming moments. It made me even happier that the movie is getting a TV series since I think that works even better than a sequel right off the bat. I wouldn't be surprised if we still get a sequel at some point and I'd like that, but with the concept of the movie and especially the ending in mind, it seems like they could do more with fleshing out the setting and the supporting cast in a TV series than with just another movie. The fact that the people behind Kim Possible are working on this gives me a lot of hope too since that show was pretty good.

I didn't mind that the other cast members didn't get much focus in the movie since it was basically Hiro and Baymax's story, but seeing them get more attention would certainly be nice. They were fleshed out enough in the movie to be likable and entertaining, but the TV show should hopefully give them more chances to shine. I also hope that we get some focus on Hiro's relationship with his aunt. Being raised by his aunt was an interesting concept, especially when he was so young when his parents died that he possibly doesn't have much, if any, memories of them, so that was an angle that I didn't think had much exploration within the movie.

The designs look really nice in 2D and I'm glad that they could get most of the cast back to reprise their roles. TJ and Wasabi being replaced is a bit of a disappointment, but I'm sure that their new voice actors will do fine.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. thisguyisnotcool

thisguyisnotcool Active Member

First teaser

• Like Like x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

Fall 2017 is way too far off. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

But you and I both know that the wait will be totally worth it ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's too bad that it isn't earlier like spring or even summer, but it will hopefully be good when it does premiere later this year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

With Easter eggs for guys like Sleepwalker in the movie, it would be really cool if the show had some love for characters like that who Marvel probably wouldn't touch.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1