1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Big Hero 6: The Series" News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by jaylop97, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I also believe this will be animated in 2D, quite possibly inspired by the end credits sequence of the movie. Making it in 3D here might not be for the best IMHO, because the movie had a big emphasis on using new animation tech like Hyperion, and eliminating it, because the budget for a TV show animation would be lower, could make San Fransokyo look and feel generic. And speaking of the movie, keep this in mind. Frozen made its Disney Channel premiere in February 2016, so Disney may hold off on the Disney Channel and XD premieres of the Big Hero 6 movie, so they can premiere it at the same time as the show in 2017. I won't be surprised if launch day is a simulcast on Disney Channel and Disney XD with the series premiere after the movie. So, Mr. Daniel might get both things he wants from the show.

It's actually pretty fast for Disney. The Aladdin TV show debuted in 1994, two years after the movie. This is not far behind that. You know who else is extremely happy about a TV show announcement? Bandai. They recently released "Big Hero 6 Stealth" repaints of their Big Hero 6 toy line. Now they get to release all-new Big Hero 6 toys, along with new villains. They have been looking for some additional regular toy lines to sell in the U.S. in recent years, and it looks like they are getting just that. Never underestimate the power of the toy company. And there were dropped elements from the Big Hero 6 movie that may return in the TV series, with a trio of ninja girls as possible antagonists.

• Like Like x 2
  2. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This is pretty exciting news. I liked the movie so seeing more of those characters in action should be fun as well. The crew announced to be working on the show sounds pretty awesome, so this will hopefully be a great show and a worthy addition to both the Disney and Marvel animated universes.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Honestly I am glad to see this movie getting a show it was cool, and I have a good feeling about it being a cartoon, as the movie was great, and the cartoon is going to give us more of the Big Hero franchise which I would surely enjoy.

4. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I wonder if they will have access to other Marvel characters for the sake of the show.

Also, hopefully they will still consider making more movies as well.

5. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This is fantastic news. BH6 is a series that NEEDS a TV series. There's so many more stories that can be told in this world. So many science and hi-tech themed villains can be introduced, so much of San Fransokyo can be explored, and most importantly of all, this gives them a chance to flesh out the other members, because I seriously felt they didn't get enough development. I'm also glad they're doing this in addition to the comic series Joe Books was reported to be making.
    And to top it all off, it's being handled by the creative team responsible for Kim Possible! They helped make the Penguins of Madagascar and MvA series be really enjoyable, so I know the BH6 series is in good hands!

I'm also glad/ hope that this is in 2D. I know this will look like a huge step down if they use CG on a TV budget. The question is, will it be traditional 2D or will it be done in Toonboom at Mercury Filmworks?

Man, Disney TV Animation has been on fire lately. I hope we'll get a Wreck-It Ralph series down the line as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This will definitely bring a smile to your face, and to anyone who was fearing Disney would make everything they do in 3D CGI, from Bob Schooley's Twitter account for cartoons.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I kind of hoped as much. Awesome.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

That is a nice piece of news

9. ClodClavo

ClodClavo Member

As much as I'd like to see this show animated in 2D I still think there is a good possibility of it being in 3d. How to train your Dragon, Star Wars Clone Wars, Kung Fu Panda all have tv series sequels in 3d. For me it's hard to base the animation off a single promo image.

NVM just saw Tommy Lawson's post.

Happy to hear traditional animation is going to be used.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

I have one thing to say for that.

"YAYSIES FOR MESIES AND YOUSIES!"

Sorry, I've got that from The 7D. I knew they're going to get a series.

11. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

Hopefully this series won't look like KP in regards to art style and coloring (the animation was fine, though). I also hope that this series will look better,be better animated,and be better written then AA,GOTG,and USM. I also hope that the BH6 characters will eventually gain similar powers,skills ,and weapons to their original comic book versions (which, IMO, I think were far cooler than their movie versions).

12. Choppasmith

Choppasmith Member

Hearing the talent behind this gets me really excited! Really looking forward to how this looks.

I don't want to pick a fight with the mods, but does this REALLY belong here in Marvel? I mean, yeah, it's based off a Marvel comic, but the movie was pretty separated from the main Marvel continuity and universe, and this is being done by WDA and NOT Marvel Animation.

Again, not being picky, but it just seems weird and not right to have this among all the Marvel shows.

13. Mr. Daniel

Mr. Daniel Back (but just occasionally)

Well, The Teen Titans Go! Talkback is in the DC Animation Forum. Though that is probably why the mods put it here.

Still yeah, the mods can be nitpicky here. For example, If you put a CN Real or Nick kidcom related thread in a CN and Nick forum. The mods will put it in an "Entertainment Forum" because "It isn't related to Animation." And I have a suggestion for this site. Make a Children's Entertainment section in the forums!

14. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

It wouldn't be the first show not made by Marvel Animation discussed on here. The requirement that it's based on Marvel characters is the bigger requirement, which is why discussion about shows like Dungeons & Dragons or Dino-Riders wouldn't be found here. From my perspective, it makes sense on either forum really.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk.

15. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think it belongs just fine on the Marvel forum. It's based on Marvel properties after all. The movie's talkback thread was also here and I don't think anyone complained about that. I guess it would make sense if the thread was mirrored over on the Disney board but I'm not sure if that option is still available.

That doesn't really have anything to do with this topic, though. If you have any suggestions for the site this isn't the place to post them. Please use the Feedback & Suggestions forum, where staff members are more likely to see them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Carlos Gutierrez

Hello? Would anyone like to answer my question about Adam Berry most likely going to compose the music for the Big Hero 6 TV show since he already did the music for Kim Possible and Buzz Lightyear of Star Command?

17. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's possible, but I don't think that has been confirmed yet. When something will be announced it will be posted here.

18. TheVileOne

Reporter

So are we to assume this will be a stylized 2D animated style, or are they going for like a downgraded CG similar to the Kung Fu Panda and How to Train your Dragon shows?

19. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It was mentioned before the show will use "gorgeous traditional animation", link to Bob Shooley's Twitter. So I'm guessing the former.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. TheVileOne

Reporter

Can we expect the designs to resemble the artwork from Kim Possible then? Or will it look closer to the film, just rendered in traditional animation?