1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Big Hero 6" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Nov 7, 2014.

?

"Big Hero 6" - Rate and Discuss this Animated Movie!

1. *****

15.4%
  2. ****1/2

46.2%
  3. ****

38.5%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Heroes come from the most unexpected places.

[​IMG]

Big Hero 6
    Release Date: November 7, 2014 (3D/2D theaters)
    Studio: Walt Disney Animation Studios
    Director: Don Hall, Chris Williams
    Starring: Ryan Potter, Scott Adsit, T.J. Miller, Jamie Chung, Damon Wayans Jr., Genesis Rodriguez, Maya Rudolph, James Cromwell, Alan Tudyk, Daniel Henney

Plot Summary: From Walt Disney Animation Studios comes Big Hero 6" an action-packed comedy-adventure about the special bond that develops between Baymax (voice of Scott Adsit), a plus-sized inflatable robot, and prodigy Hiro Hamada (voice of Ryan Potter). When a devastating event befalls the city of San Fransokyo and catapults Hiro into the midst of danger, he turns to Baymax and his close friends adrenaline junkie Go Go Tomago (voice of Jamie Chung), neatnik Wasabi (voice of Damon Wayans Jr.), chemistry whiz Honey Lemon (voice of Genesis Rodriguez) and fanboy Fred (voice of T.J. Miller). Determined to uncover the mystery, Hiro transforms his friends into a band of high-tech heroes called Big Hero 6. Based on the Marvel Comics series.

Inspired by the Marvel comics of the same name, and featuring breathtaking action with all the heart and humor audiences expect from Walt Disney Animation Studios, Big Hero 6 is directed by Don Hall and Chris Williams, and produced by Roy Conli.

Comments? Discuss this animated feature!

2. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 Active Member

At least it has sci fi, that's always a plus for me.

3. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Big Hero 6 was great. The action sequences and the panoramic views of San Fransokyo stand out as must see moments in the film. The humor provided by Baymax is memorable. Because it's so new, I'll put some of the things I noticed in spoiler tags.

Just like the word in the title, Big Hero 6 should be big at the box office, and IMO will have the same kind of endurance Wreck-It Ralph had, which means it will play well until the new year.

Also, stay until the end credits have finished! There is an extra scene, and I found it an excellent way to end the film.

4. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

Yeah that end scene basically ties it all together universe wise.

5. Kevin

Kevin Active Member

I saw the movie today. I absolutely loved it! The accompanying short with it was adorable as well. As for the movie itself, I would say the first act is the strongest part of it focusing on Hiro's character development. My only issue with the second act was the pacing as I thought it could have been better, and some of the characters were only there for support. I will say I wasn't expecting the villain to be who I thought it would be. Oh and I absolutely love Baymax and his fist bump was just hilarious! It may not be up there in the classic territory, but it's a great film nonetheless and I highly recommend everyone go see it.

Oh and stick around for the credits. There's a little surprise in the post-credits scene.

6. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

My official review

Very good movie, I just wish the rest of the team and the villain were a little more developed.

7. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

I agree with Vile, the supporting team and villain could have stood for a little more development. Other than that, the film was excellent, top-knotch work up there with Guardians of the Galaxy.

8. Nick Evans

Nick Evans Member

I kind of hope it gets it's own tv show.

9. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

I agree. My only other 2 complaints about this movie is the racebending of the BH6 team and the changing of the teams weapons and powers. However, I can look past those changes since Disney (and Marvel) were upfront about this movie being "BH6 In Name Only" and a complete reimagination of the characters and concept. Kind of like how DC reimagined their Golden Age heroes (like the Flash,Hawkman,Atom,and Green Lantern) in the the Silver Age.

10. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I really enjoyed it.
    First, concerning the short: we better get a whole movie with that cel-shaded look, Disney (or anyone in Hollywood), it's been a long time coming. In fact, that cel-shaded look would've been great for BH^.

As for the movie, though I love all the characters, I wish the film was longer so we can get a better chance to see them all in action. As far as story goes it was more solid and jam packed compared to Frozen, and it had me wanting more. I hope they do more with these characters and its world and I hope they make a TV series.

11. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I saw it today and I loved it. It had a lot of emotion to it and a great climax. This is one of the few Disney movies that I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel for.

12. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Those 90 minutes blew by before I knew it. There was still a lot they could have probably expanded on for that much more Oomph but this was very entertaining and well crafted. I was never on the brink of tears but it got me in the feels a couple of times. I really hope this is a movie that will have some degree of longevity.

This thing is very ripe for the tv series treatment.

13. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

Big Hero 6 is the 2nd fastest movie to get to $100M behind Frozen. I think a sequel is likely.

14. TheVileOne

Reporter

I hope we do get a sequel. If any Disney animated movie has a story that easily sets up a sequel, its something like Big Hero 6.

15. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Usually I'm not a big fan of sequels, particularly animated movie sequels, as they often come off as forced and serve no purpose other than to feed the cash cow, but if Disney can come up with a decent story and the other characters who aren't Hiro and Baymax can get some spotlighting screen time (and that includes Aunt Cass), then I'd be in favor of a second Big Hero 6 movie, as long as they didn't just call it Big Hero 6-2.

16. TheVileOne

Reporter

17. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I could definitely see them doing the sequel subtitling thing that's been in vogue with the Marvel movies.

18. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

Big Hero 6.2

19. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

If Disney had taken a different path, we would have had even more villains for this movie. There were supposed to be 3 ninja girls with roller skates in the film. GoGo probably would have been the highlight character in those scenes. The events that would have occurred in the fight in an alternate version probably would have been far different than what happened in the final film. However, they can easily be possible villains for a sequel.

Concept Art 1
    Concept Art 2

Also, Yokai was to have had henchmen, including those 3 ninja girls, and in this concept art, Yokai is seen getting ready to destroy Baymax besides his henchmen.

To me, it seems the 3 ninja girls were getting close to being put into the actual movie, because it appeared they had character designs and battle gear chosen for them. Each had a signature weapon: a sword, a fan, and a mace, as seen at Concept Art World. I could have easily seen a "6 vs. 3" battle, where the 3 ninja girls emerge victorious, because the heroes believe they can win simply because they outnumber the girls 2 to 1.

Now that's silly. Who names their sequel using a "number - number" format?
    (Checks Japanese RPG video game collection)
    Oh, that's right. That video game series. More than once as well. The homage to Japanese video games would be obvious of course with that sequel title.

20. TheVileOne

Reporter

Yeah, hopefully a sequel would have them fight a team of adversaries or a team of multiple bad guys instead of just one big bad.

I imagine there was not enough time to have the henchmen and it might have taken the focus away from the Baymax/Hiro relationship. I assume they wanted Yokai to be a more tragic figure as well rather than your more typical baddie.