"Big Hero 6" Animated Feature Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, May 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

Disney has officially announced the November 7th, 2014 theatrical debut of Big Hero 6, the first major animated production from the legendary studio based on a Marvel Comics property. The official Disney blog has a first look here.

[​IMG]

Description: From Walt Disney Animation Studios comes Big Hero 6, an action comedy adventure about brilliant robotics prodigy Hiro Hamada, who finds himself in the grips of a criminal plot that threatens to destroy the fast-paced, high-tech city of San Fransokyo. With the help of his closest companion -- a robot named Baymax -- Hiro joins forces with a reluctant team of first-time crime fighters on a mission to save their city. Inspired by the Marvel comics of the same name, and featuring comic-book style action and all the heart and humor audiences expect from Walt Disney Animation Studios, the CG-animated Big Hero 6 hits theaters in 3D on November 7, 2014.

Animated feature officially announced May 9th, 2013 by Walt Disney Animation Studios. Thread title will be altered with standard 'news & discussion' tags shortly.

2. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Active Member

As someone who has never read the original comic before, I can't help but be enticed by the plot. The heavy Japanese influence sounds like it could give the movie a really fun atmosphere. I mean, a portmanteau city of Tokyo and San Francisco? How can you not love that. Granted, the preview scene isn't much, but it serves its purpose as an establishing shot.

On a minor note, I'm glad that the article acknowledged that just because WDAS laid off a handful of employees who just so happened to be 2D animators didn't mean that they didn't have additional artists well versed in the medium.

3. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Active Member

That footage is lovely.
    I wonder if Sunfire will be in this since Marvel seems to be giving him a big push as part of the Avengers now.

4. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator

Sunfire as part of the Avengers?

Where you getting that from?

5. thisguyisnotcool

thisguyisnotcool New Member

Yes, Part of the Uncanny Avengers.

6. RoryWilliams

He's part of the Uncanny Avengers and has been so for several issues.

[​IMG]

7. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator

Ah. I don't follow the stuff that they pass off as Avengers comics these days. I thought there was some real news about the Avengers animated or live-action movies I'd missed.

8. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

Cripes, I'd forgotten about this. That makes five, FIVE Marvel movies next year. Meanwhile, DC and Warner execs have long, hard looks at one another across the boardroom.

While I haven't read any of the team's appearances myself, it sounds promising. Shame the Silver Samurai's already owned by Fox, I'd like to see him on the team as he was in the first series.

9. Venom Melendez

Venom Melendez New Member

I don't think Silver Samurai was ever part of the Big Hero Six. The team was mostly new characters.

You should, it's good.

10. RoryWilliams

He was. He and Sunfire were founders but were replaced in later iterations since they both went back to being villains for a time.

[​IMG]

11. Venom Melendez

My mistake then. I'm mainly familiar with the line up from the Big Hero 6 mini from 2008.

In that case it would have been nice to have Silver Samurai or Sunfire.

12. The Talon

The Talon New Member

So, if Silver Samurai appears in this, wouldn't that mean that Disney could use any Marvel hero in movie, as long as it was animated? Because that would mean that Disney could make as many Spider-Man or X-Men movies as they wanted to.

13. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator

I gave Remember's first arc a chance, and it was utter drek. Pass.

14. Venom Melendez

They can't, it is still a film and they can't use any X-men. They will most likely go with the line up from the 2008 comic.

Which means we will have Wasabi No-Ginger and Fredzilla instead of Silver Samurai and Sunfire.

It's the same reason why they could not use Silver Surfer in the Planet Hulk animated film.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2013
  15. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Yep, it sure is.
    A trolley.
    Great movie, Disney! Two thumbs up!

16. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Trickin' N Treatin'

I'm pretty eager for this movie. Not digging the hybrid city name and I hope that none of the japanese influenced elements come across as awkward on screen but I've enjoyed Disney's animated features over the past few years, and I can't imagine that they'll fumble just yet. I've got my fingers crossed.

17. SaneMan

SaneMan Active Member

My feelings on Marvel's entire output for the past decade or so
    well, OK, I do like some of the Marvel Now stuff (Thor, Morbius, Deadpool, Thunderbolts, Young Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy)

but back to the subject
    that's some nice animation demo, can't wait to see some actual film footage

18. Dragnatek

Dragnatek New Member

There is an expection, from what i understand both the X-men movies and the Avengers movies could use Quick Silver and Scarlet Witch. However if Marvel uses them they have to gloss over the fact they are mutants and their relationship with magneto. Or maybe I heard wrong.

I'm glad Disney did not try to remove the Japanese elements to Big Hero Six. it's interesting to see how this turns out. I want this to succeed so we get future Marvel animated movies. Power Pack would be perfect for Disney.

19. RoryWilliams

They can. Joss Whedon has them in his current draft of the script for Avengers 2.

20. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

I never read the comics, but the film sounds like it could be good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.