1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

BIG DareDevil Movie News!

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by JustJack, Oct 5, 2001.

1. JustJack

JustJack Just Odd

HUGE DareDevil movie news, people! o.k...here's the deal...

You know Ben Affleck?
    Well, awhile back, he did write for the DareDevil comic book...
    So, really...he does know what he's doing...
    but ultimately..
    Can you see Affleck as Matt Murdock?

That's right..Affleck is in final negotiations to play the role of Matt Murdock/DareDevil, for the new movie. Oye..I might need some Advil..

Affleck is great n' all..but I guess I just don't see him as Matt Murdock...*sigh*. Oh well...just remember, when Mike Keaton(a comedian) was going to be Batman, everyone thought it was a joke..but then...he was the greatest Batman of them all...

2. freakboy86

freakboy86 Member

Yah, Affleck is NOT the one I would choose for Daredevil. He may pull off the costume, but his acting just isn't 'right' for the court scenes (see 'Reindeer Games'. Ghaaaaaaaa). I just can't picture him wearing dark glasses and intelligently arguing a court case.
    Since Hollywood is in the habit of picking 'names' before they pick 'actors' for roles like this, well, we're pretty much stuck.
    My choice, personally, would be Jude Law (if he can fake an American accent). After seeing him in 'Wisdom of Crocodiles' he clinched it for me. He would make a PERFECT Matt Murdock/Daredevil.

3. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

Is Kevin Smith involved in this movie? I suspect that Ben Affleck being in this movie may have a lot to do with his association with Mr. Smith, and I know Mr. Smith was in talks to write this movie for quite some time.

I actually think it will be good.

4. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

First off, Affleck did NOT write the Daredevil comic. He only wrote a forward when Marvel released a tradepaperback of Kevin Smith's eight issue run. And Kevin Smith won't be involved. He'll be busy making "Jersey Girl".

5. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

I still suspect that Kevin Smith may have pulled some strings behind the scenes to get Ben Affleck involved in this pic.

6. JustJack

JustJack Just Odd

Oops. Yep. Sorry bout that. I didn't reallize my error till about an hour after I said that. hehe! my bad...anyway...

I was looking for a movie to watch tonight, & I went past Good Will Hunting, in my collection..and I noticed..Matt Damon looks more like Matt Murdock than Affleck!! Oye....
    You know, this DOES remind me of Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back... With those 2 young actor star guys, I don't know their names! Anyway...They were probably the two worst choices to star in a Bluntman & Chronic movie, but in the end, it was all about picking up young, cool teen stars, just to get people to see the movie. That's sort of how I feel about Affleck being cast as Matt Murdock..

personally, I think, that if they had to chose any big-name actor for it, chose Val Kilmer! Here's my reasoning..
    A.)He, for the most part, looks the part.
    B.)He's not a kid. He's in his mid 30's, I think?
    C.) He played a blind man very well in a previous movie...I forget what...
    D.) He already knows what it's like to wear a super-suit, & act like a hero.
    E.)Eh...he could pull off a straight-talk lawyer well.

7. Samhaine

Samhaine Time To Relax

Doubtful, because that means Affleck won't be available to star in "Jersey Girl", which Smith wanted him to do.

8. I don't like Affleck, and probably won't pay to see anything he's in besides Kevin Smith stuff.

As for Daredevil: I've never been big on the character. Skimmed through Frank Miller's DD GN, that's the full extent of my DD experience. I don't expect the DD movie or Spider~Man to be anywhere near as good as X-men.

9. Samhaine

Samhaine Time To Relax

The DD book has been really good since the relaunch. You'd do yourself a favor to pick it up starting with issue #26.

Anyway, I expect Spider-man to be as good, if not better than X-Men. My main problem with X-Men was, that while I enjoyed it, it was basically the "Wolverine movie, guest starring the X-Men". That I had a problem with.

10. Thanks for the heads up, but I'm not really a comic reader. I get bored with it fast.

:D That's what I loved about it. I thought the structure was very good at root, if not executed as well as I'd have liked. Introducing Wolverine and Rouge, developing a connection between them and then following them through the movie kept things focused and linier, which is important in a movie with lots of supporting characters.

In the screenplay Scott and Storm were introduced right after the Magneto origin at the begining, which I thought was a good touch, giving them some weight as characters. Then, when they showed up later to help Wolverine fight Sabertooth, it was the second time you saw them, no longer children, but X-men, the product of Xavier's guidance. That worked better than the way they did it on film.

Also, Wolvie was singled out even more in the original script. He was the one Magneto was after. Magneto wanted his anamantium to power his machine. They beefed up the Rouge role in the shooting draft. The whole fight between Mystique and Wolverine was improvised too. After reading the script I was a little dissapointed with the finished film. The script had the seeds of greatness, and the film was merely good.

11. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

Funny. That's how I feel about him being chosen to be in Pearl Harbor.

Matt Damon would make a better Daredevil/Matt Murdock. And we already know he can do great court scenes. Look at Rainmaker if you haven't seen it!

12. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

I think Spider-Man will definatly be better than X-Men. While I enjoyed X-Men, it could've been better. Daredevil, though, is iffy. I'm sure it'll be good but I'm not sure how good. I knowit'll be better than the live action SPAWN. Spider-Man will kick major booty, I tell you what! X-MEN 2 will be better than X-MEN 1 becuase we'll get to know more about the characters. There are some great comic movies coming.

13. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

I have higher hopes for Spider Man too over X Men.

I am confident that Daredevil will be better than the last two Batman movies.