Beware The Batman "Reckoning" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Aug 16, 2014.

?

Rate and Comment on this "Beware The Batman" Episode!

1. *****

33.3%
  2. ****1/2

16.7%
  3. ****

33.3%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

16.7%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest Administrator Moderator Reporter

Beware the Bat! Check out new episodes of Beware The Batman airing Saturday nights at 2:30am (ET) on Toonami! Good guys still wear black ... only Toonami!

[​IMG]
    Beware The Batman
    Episode #15 "Reckoning"
    Original Premiere Date - August 16th, 2014

Ra’s unleashes some of Batman’s greatest enemies from Blackgate to keep him occupied, while Ra’s turns his attentions on Katana and Alfred.

Comments?

2. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

Yeah, I heard about this ep.

3. animePWNS

animePWNS 1959-2015

Well their teamwork sure fell apart.

Glad to see Ra's get what he deserved.

4. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme Moderator

They weren't much of a team. I thought they were all just making a mad dash at Batman.

5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some. Moderator

Professor Pyg and Mister Toad pretty much said it all, Batman's your problem. :D

Jim and Barbara continue to be a great team. Nice scene when Jim is proud but a little sad Barbara kept the expert hacker thing a secret. Barb's "they'll just take us hostage" and Jim's reaction was gold.

A couple fun close up scenes - Rex melting the Batarang and the sword nearly getting Barbara. A little too brief for me, but glad to see Shiva also got what was coming. When I saw Ra's being taken away, the similar scene from Ghost popped into my head.

I'm glad there were some looters. Hilarious they bailed as soon as Batman saw them. Also loved Batman totally called Whale on double crossing him.

Figured Edogawa did the right thing. But I have a feeling these 'wrongs' Alfred mentioned aren't all going to be solved off screen and may pop up in later episodes.

That was a really fun 3 parter, definitely good momentum for the show going into the back half and what the next arc may be about.

6. Lerkero

Lerkero Active Member

I don’t like that Batman’s computer can provide probabilities. It is completely unnecessary because we know Batman won’t die.

Seeing Batman fight the enemies that we’ve seen so far was entertaining, but in pure cliché fashion they ended up fighting each other rather than working together.

I still don’t understand why Alfred didn’t tell Tatsu the truth about her father, but that type of thing is usually done for plot convenience. People don’t always take rational action, otherwise many plots would be boring. Even Tatsu’s change of heart seemed sudden. I thought she might have been trying to dupe Ra’s into giving her the sword, but right after she freed Alfred she lost the sword.

Why is Tobias a gang lord again? All he ever does is take the path of least resistance. Not a very convincing villain. I should have guessed Batman rigged the gun.

It is more distracting than I thought it would be to see the pseudo laser-guns used on the show. When Gordon was “shooting” at the ninjas it seemed so fake. Although, I guess that was the point of changing the look of the guns. Mission accomplished. I like the way James and Barbara work together. It makes me hope that James allows Barbara to work for the police in future episodes.

Releasing the souls was a good plan, but I wonder what would have happened if Batman, y’know…killed Ra’s. Seemed like the better plan to me.

7. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a pretty awesome episode, and a great conclusion to this show's Ra's al Ghul saga. The Batman versus pretty much all the villains he has encountered so far was a pretty amazing scene, though tricking them into fighting among themselves was kind of predictable. Still, it was handled well enough and I liked it. Also, some good interactions between all the characters, the highlight being probably Alfred and Tatsu, which also offered us a good explanation as to what happened to the latter's father. Again, kind of predictable but still entertaining. The Gordon and Barbara scenes were also great, and had some pretty good action as well.

Batman versus Ra's was pretty awesome, and probably the best part of the episode. I kind of doubt Ra's is gone for good, but seeing the spirits released from the Soul-Taker Sword and carrying him away was a pretty great scene. It looked like something out of Green Lantern: TAS, with the spirits being green and stuff. Interesting that none of the souls released returned to their bodies - I mean, I understand Tatsu's father (it also gave us a pretty heartwarming moment), and others killed over the years, but I was expecting characters like Jason and Bethanie to be fine. I wonder if that will ever be addressed in any of the upcoming episodes.

While I liked the way the episode ended, with the League of Assassins (apparently) defeated, Alfred deciding to take a leave of absence and Bruce & Tastu getting ready for a new mission, I thought this would have worked rather well as the mid-season finale (or whatever you want to call it). Granted, the cliff-hanger we got of Ra's beating up Bats was pretty awesome as well, but this felt more like an ending to me. Looking forward to whatever is coming up next for the show.

8. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator Moderator

I thought that this was a really good episode. I liked seeing all of the villains on screen together, even though it was obvious that they would end up fighting each other instead of working together. Batman's reaction was pretty funny though. Tastu having a change of heart after she learned the truth was sudden, but I was okay with it. I really enjoyed seeing Jim's reaction to Barbara's hacker skills. They had some nice teamwork and I hope that they'll be able to work together again in future episodes.

Batman actually smiling was kind of surprising, although it was expected that he would see Whales' betrayal coming. I also thought he would be able to free the souls from the Soul Taker Sword, but seeing them take Ra's Al Ghul down like that was pretty intense. Tastu being able to see her father was nice, but I was expecting Jason to be able to return to his body or at least appear as well. Since his soul was taken probably only a few hours ago, he might be able to go back into his body. Maybe they'll bring that up later. Alfred leaving at the end was a bit of a surprise, but I'm sure that he'll be back soon. Overall, this was a really good episode and good ending to the three-part arc.

9. M.O.D.O.K.

Considering that their bodies were left behind to the League of Assassins, I wouldn't expect them to return to life.

10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The Batcomputer actually got to do the "Previously on!" I guess that makes him a full-fledged character now ;).

Seeing Batman fending off his Beware Rogues Gallery was pretty awesome, as was getting all their VA's back save Cypher, and Batman using their competition to catch him to his advantage was also pretty cool :D.

Another highlight of the episode was Gordon shooting at ninja's with a laser shotgun :cool:.

Though now that power to the city has been restored, I wonder if all of the villains are still at large in Gotham? I also wonder if the League, including Shiva, were taken into custody and locked up after what happened to Ra's? At the very least, hopefully Batman was able to put Whale back in Blackgate.

I think it would've been for the better had Alfred told Tatsu, heck even her mother, the truth about what happened with Edogawa. I can understand not wanting to hurt his reputation with his family by revealing he sold out his partner, but considering how ultimately he died a hero, I feel it would've worked out in the end. It might've given Tatsu in her youth, and her mother, more closure at least. Though considering Alfred mentioning the shady things he's done in his past, I guess it could just be that he's not used to revealing any of the shady details of his past as an agent to anyone and that finally came to a head here.

Though with Alfred gone, who the heck is going to take care of Wayne Manor? I mean, Beware's Alfred may be the least butlery animated Alfred, but he's still the butler who handles all the menial stuff around the Manor that Bruce probably doesn't care for :sweat:.

I was hoping for more of a climactic fight between Batman and Ra's to close out this arc, not more of Ra's just tossing Batman around, even if it was ultimately just an attempt by Batman to stall for time. Ra's didn't even bother throwing off his cloak! Still, how Batman ultimately managed to defeat Ra's was both neat and fitting :).

I also thought it was underwhelming that Shiva got taken out by the explosion, since I was hoping to see a showdown between her and Tatsu :sad:.

Tatsu getting to have moment with the soul of her father was nice but what about Jason? It felt kinda weird, and sad, that they just glossed over him among the freed souls :(.

Overall, I thought the Ra's storyline was a good arc with a decent conclusion, which leaves Anarky for the rest of the season. Considering he wasn't outright killed, I expect Ra's probably would have returned for a season 2 of Beware that unfortunately was never to be. And I agree with RoyalRubble that this episode probably would have made a better mid-season finale, and would've fit well alongside Green Lantern's.

11. Yojimbo

I assumed that's why the Batsignal was lit up so soon at the end of the episode. Most of those freed villains were still on the loose. That and Jim probably wanted to compare notes since they never met up in this episode at all despite being all in Fallpoint in the climax.

I look forward to an episode where Tatsu gripes about doing butler work. ;)

I still enjoyed Katana drop kicking her though. But yeah. Not enough time for another battle. Surprised the souls didn't grab her, too, since it seems like she used the sword a couple times.

Yeah. It was odd come to think of it...

Yeah, it seems like they left it open ended. You could interpret the event as Ra's being dragged down to hell whereas Edogawa went up into the sky and dispersed. Or at the least, they dropped him to the bottom of a deep, deep shaft. In any case, if Ra's survived or not, he had the line reiterating the League of Assassins was legion. Whether that means they would find the body and resurrect him or Lady Shiva and Silver Monkey were just the tip of the iceberg when it came to the League's inner circle of commanders...

12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Good point, and a city full of Supervillains and a crime boss behind bars sounds like the perfect environment for Anarky to create... well, anarchy :sweat:.
    Well, I'm pretty sure Bruce does still pay her a salary :p.

Maybe because Ra's had used it more and there were more souls with vendetta's against Ra's? I'm also partial to the theory that Silver Monkey didn't have his soul stolen and Shiva just "took him out" using the sword :ack:.

Well, there's Talia and Ubu of course, but I could see a steering away from them since they're "traditional" in a certain sense when it comes to Ra's. Nyssa and Sensei could use more exposure in animation, so it would've been cool to see them possibly show up eventually.

13. Yojimbo

True but Tatsu complaining is gold.

True. Yeah, really briefly I was wondering if she was tossing only Monkey's mask or his head.

Nyssa indeed. I'm all for them using new characters, that haven't been animated yet, on this show especially. The Seven Men of Death could be a good follow up, too, imo.

14. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon! Moderator

A really good episode! Very exciting, and never let up!

I do think some parts were rushed (Shiva was taken down so easy), but its hard to hold that against it.

15. Mister Mayhem

Mister Mayhem Banned

Cohorts,

i wonder if they'll actually focus on some of Alfred's time away or completely leave him out of the show until he returns to gotham.

16. M.O.D.O.K.

Yeah, one of my complaints with the show is how Shiva pretty much loses all presence the moment Ra's enters the picture. I'm guessing she'll be at Blackgate after everything is sorted out.

I'm sure we'll see some of that eventually, whether in real time or in flashback. He is in the opening intro.

17. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

I'm a little late on this review so I'll try to keep this brief...

'Reckoning' was a thoroughly enjoyable conclusion to this whole Ra's Al Ghul/League of Assassins saga. It contained plenty of twists, action and heartfelt moments, a few of which that were genuinely quite poignant. Now that his storyline has come to an end, I'm still not sure what I think of this version of Ra's Al Ghul overall. It was certainly an interesting take but not quite as captivating as the usual dynamics we associate with Batman and Ra's typically. I suppose in a second season, he could have returned and forged a greater antagonism with Batman, as well as bringing his daughter into the mix, but sadly we'll never see that.

Batman going up against a group of the shows most prominent villains so far was pure fun. Yes, it did feel a little bit like filler but it was staged and animated (Curt Geda's been doing a great job on this series) so well that I really didn't mind. It was another unique moment to show just how smart and efficient this Batman is. Plus any excuse to hear Grey DeLisle as Magpie again is fine by me. Batman's double cross of Tobias Whale was wonderfully in character and I have to say I loved the little smirk.

The scenes with Barbara and her dad were great as usual. They really have nailed their interactions and both Kurtwood Smith and Tara Strong play off each other brilliantly. I particularly enjoyed the line about the bad guys just taking them hostage as oppose to killing them. However, once again I have to ask, where the heck is the mom in all this?

Kudos to the team for allowing the show to have a somewhat darker ending with the Soultaker Sword. I assumed that the souls would simply float back into the persons body and revive them (no matter how long they have been ''deceased'') but sadly that was not the case. At the very least, I thought Jason would have been revived, so it's a shame he didn't make it, but at least Tatsu had that beautiful moment with her father.

If I had any complaints, it would still revolve around the conflict between Alfred and Tatsu. I still find that the writer pushed Katana's aggression towards Alfred a little too much. I understand that she misses her father, but she still turned on Alfred far too quickly. Her little realization by the end was nice but it came a tad too late for me. Katana should be much more in control of her emotions and only truly question Alfred when the crisis is over. The only other thing I'll mention is how much of a shame it was to have Lady Shiva reduced to background muscle in this episode. She deserved another great moment to exit on.

The ending with Bruce and Alfred was quite emotional, almost bringing a tear to the eye. You can see Bruce turning into the young child that doesn't want his father to leave, wondering if it's all his fault. I'm curious as to where they'll take this subplot. I imagine Bruce will be a lot darker in demeanor moving forward. In fact, this would have been a nice place for the series to end... a typical downbeat moment but with the promise of more adventures ahead.

Luckily for us, we have eleven more episodes to go before we truly have to say goodbye to Beware the Batman.

Great episode. 4/5