"Beware the Batman" News & Discussion Thread, Part 4 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Animation Forum' started by Yojimbo, Oct 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

Beware The Batman is the all-new animated series based on the iconic Caped Crusader airing as part of DC Nation on Cartoon Network. The show is currently on hiatus, but will be back in Who Knows, 2014. The CGI-animated series is headlined by Glen Murakami and Mitch Watson. Further details are below.

[​IMG]
    Stay tuned for further updates.

Beware the Batman Description:

A cool, new take on the classic Dark Knight franchise, Beware the Batman incorporates Batman's core characters with a rogues gallery of new villains not previously seen in animated form. Along with backup from ex-secret agent Alfred and lethal swordstress Katana, the Dark Knight faces the twisted machinations of Gotham City's criminal underworld led by the likes of Anarky, Professor Pyg, Mister Toad and Magpie. Produced by Warner Bros. Animation, this action-packed detective thriller deftly redefines what we have come to know as a 'Batman show.' Featuring cutting-edge CGI visuals to match the intricate twists and turns of the narrative, Batman steps out of the shadows and into the spotlight for an entirely new generation of fans. With WBA's Sam Register executive producing, and Batman Beyond's Glen Murakami and Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated's Mitch Watson producing, Beware the Batman, based on characters from DC Comics, is coming soon to Cartoon Network!

Stay tuned to The World's Finest for further updates!

Previous Updates:

Current News
    Full Version of Opening Titles

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2014
  2. Silverstar

Silverstar Game On!

Beware the Batman should return in January. Batman News claims "the show is not cancelled."

Yeah, right.

Following the M.O. with Green Lantern and Young Justice, CN will likely delay Beware the Batman's return until March or April, then just let it burn through its' remaining episodes before it disappears altogether.

BtB wasn't a terrible show, but at the same time I really couldn't get into it because after umptee-seven Dark Knight shows and movies, I'm personally Batmanned out, though I did enjoy The Brave and the Bold. Maybe now we can finally get another DC hero to spotlight a show; it's the 75th frickin' anniversary of Superman, plus he had a new movie come out this summer and we still can't get a Superman show, but we get yet another dang Batman cartoon?! What the what?!

I do really hope that WB doesn't give up on these shows despite these past failures; the DC Nation block can't just consist of Teen Titans GO!. Going back to B&tB, maybe the next DC toon should be a more lighthearted action comedy, maybe starring Supes or Flash or Plastic Man or maybe even the Trinity. That would be cool.

3. Masterchudi

Masterchudi New Member

So Beware the Batman, Young Justice, Green Lantern TAS cancelling these shows but Teen Titans Go. Why have DC Nation? Nickelodean will overtake CN and Disney because they at least respect its show TMNT renewed for more seasons Legend of Korra renewed for more seasons. Nick knows how balance action and comedy. CN used to do that the best. Not anymore

4. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi

I just couldn't get into the art design and style for the show. I didn't like the character designs. Batman just doesn't look good with those stiff CG designs.

Didn't care for this interpretation of Alfred. Having Katana play the Robin role for a younger Batman just didn't feel right.

I get that they wanted to do something different with this show, but it was an experiment that didn't really work.

5. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

As I said, I get the feeling CN won't renew this show after its initial 26 episodes air.

They're most likely going to want a Batman/Superman team-up cartoon to resemble the new movie in 2015. I can see an all-new cartoon where Batman/Superman are together in every episode which will help promote the new movie, and thus be the "new" Batman cartoon at the same time.

They'll finish up Beware the Batman's episodes in 2014...but I get the feeling they're already looking toward making a new Batman cartoon.

I guess The Batman won't be remembered as the "failure" Batman cartoon any longer, especially with this one only getting 26 episodes.

6. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

I'm starting to wonder if the future of WBA shows lies on The Hub. They've already had successes with a number of WBA-produced series and with Cartoon Network's continual votes of no confidence for their properties, why not start selling to someone who will actually push the product vs bury and let it languish? The lack of corporate synergy in the WB/Turner family of subsidiaries just continues to be a massive failing of the company as a whole that they refuse to deviate from. I understand if CN has right of first refusal which would likely prevent this from happening, but if it isn't the case it may be time for another, more-supportive network to step up to bat as caretaker of all things DC.

7. the greenman

the greenman Active Member

I still think the blame goes on the Colorado tragedy, and WB has to be much more strict. I really can not blame them, even though it might be their m.o., steering away from realistic portrayal of characters involved in dark stuff is under the radar with execs. They should put more emphasis on science fiction and fantasy series instead. So a Superman or JL series might be up for something.

8. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

It took me awhile to get used to the CGI designs and even for some of them like Alfred, it didn't quite work for me either. Batman's design worked, but it didn't click as well as the designs in Green Lantern did. I kind of liked Katana, but I didn't care for this interpretation of Alfred either.

It seems pretty likely that they won't renew this show after they pulled this same stunt last year with Young Justice and Green Lantern. Not to mention that pulling a show from the lineup for months is a pretty bad sign in itself. I could see them making a Batman/Superman team-up series, although I think I'd prefer a new Justice League series instead just to see other superheroes more often.

I know that you don't like The Batman, but I don't think many people besides you consider it to be a failure. More importantly, how is it a failure in the first place? It had five season, got up to sixty-five episodes and had a direct to DVD movie. I don't think it was a huge hit, but it did well for itself and was anything but a failure.

Anyway, I'm kind of disappointed that they pulled Beware the Batman off their schedule. While it did kind of had a slow start and I didn't care for most of the villains, I kind of liked that it was trying to do something different by having less familiar villains and I really liked what they were doing with Batman and Gordon's growing friendship. It was interesting, I liked watching it every week and I was curious to see where they were going with it. At least they should finish off the rest of the season next year.

9. Robert McSantos

Robert McSantos New Member

If Cartoon Network can license their IPs to IDW, I don't see why DC can't sell their cartoons to the Hub.

Well, actually, I can. There's a lot more money in TV than comics, so that might justify a double standard. But still, I hope the success of the CN/IDW partnership might inspire the suits at Time Warner to allow collaboration with an outside party.

10. swarlock

swarlock Member

I'm not surprised to be honest.

And for anyone thinking this could give them the opportunity to bring back Young Justice again. Don't count on that happening anytime soon.

11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator Staff Member

Things aren't looking good for Beware the Batman.

Which is really a shame. I can understand people feeling Bat-fatigue, but at least Beware tried to be different from its predecessors, and it felt great having a quality action cartoon based on a comic on the air for once :(.

I thought the CG was generally good, and while I had some foibles with how specific characters were portrayed, the writing was generally very strong. Just another disappointing end for a good show on CN :shrug:.

12. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Active Member

Boom Studios, actually, has the license for Adventure Time & Regular Show, while IDW just launched a Powerpuff Girls book and has Ben 10 on the way. DC still has Scooby-Doo & Looney Tunes. I'd have to say that CN needs to stop being run by a couple of idiots and play nice with the rest of the TW family.

13. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

In this case it's not their fault, corporate philosophy at Time Warner dictates that their properties act this way (important part noted in bold).

Seeing as Jeff Bewkes still runs the joint, I'd say the policy of "Synergy is total BS" would still be in play.

14. Robert McSantos

Yes, thank you. I forgot that the Cartoon Network licenses were actually split between Boom and IDW. But that just goes along with what I'm saying. If Cartoon Network can shop around, then WBA/DC should be allowed to as well.

Looney Tunes has always been a Warner Brothers property, so Turner has no say over what's done with it. Scooby Doo... I'm not sure what the deal is with the Hanna-Barbara IPs currently. They belonged to Turner at the time of the buyout, but the last Scooby Doo series was primarily made by WBA.

15. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

Barry McWilliams (the animator who gave us hope for a second season) gave some updates a while ago on his twitter:

Sounds like the team are starting to move on and coupled with Sam Liu's recent tweet, it all doesn't sound too good:

A real shame... :(

16. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Is it actually confirmed there's 26 episodes of this show?

17. Robert McSantos

18. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

Season 1 was ordered with 26 episodes, so yes.

19. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme

Len Wein wrote the episode "Attraction". Perhaps we'll get lucky and iTunes may be behind schedule? ;)

Also, a BtB skin is featured as a bonus on the video game Arkham Origins: Blackgate. Between the comic ads, the Happy Meal promotion, and the game, at least DC tried to promote the show a bit more.

20. Kindness King

Kindness King New Member

^Yeah, Bewkes is the real person to blame for Cartoon Network getting held back. If someone else were in charge, CN could get promoted on TBS, TNT, TCM, and whatever other networks they own. They probably wouldn't be in third place in ratings behind Nick and Disney. Not to mention this guy is no doubt the overseer of DC's movie projects; which would explain why they have so much trouble too. If that Batman vs. Superman movie bombs, I hope this guy gets the blame and the shareholders axe him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.