1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Beware the Batman" News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pacman7821

Pacman7821 Member

I have a feeling that in later seasons, we will see the 'classic' rouges. They may want to just start with the lesser know rouges, and then show the more well-know ones.

2. Hordesman

Hordesman slashor

Show formats change too. The batman started with two cops as the supporting cast and then rolled in batgirl and robin as replacements. That said, Anarky was created as a potential robin candidate (that's why he was 12 in his first appearance) and the monthly series had this whole thing where he believed the joker was his dad. (It was written with the understanding it'd be revealed to be false but the book got cancelled just as that revelation was made).

3. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme
    Staff Member Moderator

Not really a new poster, but here's a snapshot of the "full" poster based on the initial pitch image.

In addition, a source is claiming that the show will premiere on Saturday, July 13th. Of course, it should be taken with a grain of salt.

4. AvengersFan

AvengersFan New Member

Since we know we'll get Katana and Metamorpho I believe the show will set up the outsiders and that fact we'll get Tobias Whale (enemy of Black Lightning) I think this is were the show will partially go.

I REALLY hope we get some of Batman's A-list villains, I'd personally love to see the Riddler and Clayface because there is still so much to add to there story and they haven't been over-done as much as the Joker and Penguin. I think the producers will eventually have to bring out the bigger villains.

Mod Note: Double Post Merged. Please Use Edit Button next time, no posting multiple times in a row.

5. Hero Supreme

Hero Supreme Mr Jinx No More

I agree. A Batman show without Joker is like a Green Lantern series without Sinestro... nevermind. :)

6. I_Spyral

I_Spyral Moonrider

Alan Grant wanted him to be Joker's son, but Denny O'Neil objected.

7. AvengersFan

AvengersFan New Member

Who is Axel Alex?

8. atomicbattery

atomicbattery Member

Yojimbo, the producers stated last year that in the show Bruce will have been Batman for about "five or six years", that he's "not new at this" and has been "doing this awhile". This, of course, begs the question as to whether Batman has already fought all of the classic rogues, locking them up safely(!) in Arkham or Blackgate, or whether he has yet to encounter them, or whether they will even exist in the reality of this show, during its life, at all.

I would prefer- I think like you- that the classic villains do appear, with BTB-specific origins, at some point in the show. Similarly, regarding Robin, I would love if there was a sort of Dark Victory approach, wherein Dick Grayson is introduced in, say, season three, is an instrumental character, but does not become Robin until the final ep of the season. Batman, while solving the requisite mystery-per-week, solves the larger mystery of the murder of The Flying Graysons over the span of a season. This was the sort of storytelling that I think worked so well in Scooby-Doo! Mystery Inc., which was also produced by Mitch Watson.

9. I_Spyral

I_Spyral Moonrider

I would prefer this. One of my gripes with Batman is the whole Arkham revolving door trope. It's made him a joke.

I had to stop watching that show after the second episode. I'm now worried that same guy is writing this.

10. AvengersFan

AvengersFan New Member

I really hope that the series introduces Prometheus and grants him his animation d├ębut. He is one of my favourite villains and he is still largely unknown despite being able to rival Batman, he would work great in the sow as a major antagonist.

11. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Hmmm, this would solve the issues with the classic rogues gallery. I'm not sure they ever really did the Doc Savage-esque Batman in media yet. Where he utilizes his villains in Arkham for information on the villains he's looking for. I can't remember any specific episode of BTAS, but I do remember "Knight Time", where SuperBats and Robin went to Mad Hatter in search of Brainiac. They could easily do that on this show with guys like Joker and Penguin.

12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

My mistake. Forgot about that Year Five bit. I had a hard time getting into Mystery Inc. because of that series arc so I'm on the fence with that.

Interesting idea, greenman. Joker would be a pretty good Hannibal situation for helping Batman figure out Anarky.

13. Hordesman

Hordesman slashor

"In the last issue of the Anarky series, the possibility was left open that The Joker might be Anarky's actual father. But as the series is now canceled, it may be some time before this theory is addressed. However, Alan Grant has said on the website Silver Bullet Comics that a senior DC Comics official told him:

'Anarky will never be the Joker's son. You can write the story, but someone else will write the sequel showing it just can't be.'[11]

Later, in a dual interview with Breyfogle, Grant explained the situation behind the decision in greater detail, including that it was originally Norm's idea to make Anarky the son of The Joker, and that it was Dennis O'Neil who protested against it:

Denny only let me write that story under protest, he was totally opposed to Joker being Anarky’s father and said under no circumstances would DC allow that... I talked him into letting me write the script anyway by saying the story would create a lot of interest and then maybe in six months time I would write the rebuttal, which proves that Anarky wasn’t the Joker’s son, (...) and Denny said OK but of course the monthly title got cancelled long before that point.[12]

Further, Grant speculates that as Dennis O'Neil is no longer in charge of such decisions at DC Comics, with the final editorial decision now belonging to Dan Didio, it is no longer possible to be sure whether a rebuttal will ever be published.[13] For his part, there is no record of Didio ever commenting on the subject. However, it is worth noting that chronologically, the DC Universe timeline prevents the Joker from being Anarky's biological father, as Lonnie is (currently) approximately sixteen years old, while both Batman and the Joker have only existed for approximately thirteen years.[14]

As Anarky was created while Grant and Breyfogle were operating under "work-for-hire" rules, DC Comics owns all rights to the Anarky character. Following the cancellation of the series, both men attempted to buy the rights to Anarky from the company, but their offer was declined.[15]"

14. AvengersFan

AvengersFan New Member

I could see the show introducing Barbara Gordon and having her become Batgirl/Oracle either mid season or the finale. I could then see Robin join the show at the start of season 2 (if renewed) or mid season 2 and potentially become Nightwing later that season or the next season. The show could use loads of A-list villains that are still lesser-known to non-comic readers, like Hush, Prometheus, Talia al Ghul, Solomun Grundy...

15. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

If they wanted to keep doing new things, a three part Joker origin story as the Season 3 would be excellent.

16. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

I prefer Joker to have no origin story. There are some characters knowing about them hurts the character. It does not matter who Joker was before he became Joker all that matters is who he is now. That is the big thing about the character he could have been any body.

Now if they brought in Clayface later I would like to see the Preston Payne clayface or even him and Sondra Fuller as an evil couple.

I would also love seeing Lady Shiva on the show.

17. AvengersFan

AvengersFan New Member

I would also like Lady Shiva on the show and don't think Joker needs an origin story but I doubt he'll be on the show for a while, I would like to see Mad Hatter and hopefully the Red Hood.

18. Hordesman

Hordesman slashor

I am getting so antsy for news on this show

19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Preaching to the choir. I think we're all chomping at the bit for something.

20. Hordesman

Hordesman slashor

Lol, you're talking to Anarky's biggest fan here lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.