1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Beware the Batman" News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashleesmach1

ashleesmach1 Banned

when is this show going to air????

2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

"July-ish 2013" is all we know at the moment.

Given San Diego Comic Con is that month from the 17 to 21 and the amount of GL episodes left to reair (6), and adding in a probably CN summer event pre-empting programming on a Saturday - one could extrapolate July 27 as the start date. That's if they still intend to debut brand new episodes of BTB on DC Nation or go with the current formula they are using with TTG.

As always, check the first page and look in the Current News tab. The very first section is the known information on the start date so you won't be spoiled if you don't want to be on anything else about the show.

3. atomicbattery

atomicbattery Member

I know that the question about promotion was asked and answered ("soon"), but should this series actually premiere in July, I am shocked that we got nothing in the way of ads and teasers by Memorial Day. Perhaps schoolyard buzz is a somewhat antiquated notion, but I think that a little schoolbus chatter could have been very helpful before kids scatter for the summer. If this series really is premiering this summer, it feels like it's going out there kinda naked.

4. Wi-fi Calcium

Wi-fi Calcium Active Member

I remember that Teen Titans Go! had been promoted about a month back from it's premiere. Very little had been revealed about it until promotion begun. If Beware the Batman were to premiere in July and get the same treatment, promotion should start by June and most definitely by late June.

5. AvengersFan

AvengersFan New Member

I am looking forward to the series and I believe it will surprise many with actually being very good. I have two questions though:
    - Since we'll get Barbara Gordon, will she become Batgirl of the Oracle?
    - Will we get Robin?

6. Nightwing26

Nightwing26 Active Member

If you look at the first post of the first page, there should be all the information/news about this series under the 'Spoilers'.

To answer your questions, the Barbara in this show is more on the techy side, and she is also a major Katana fan-girl. So she's an Oracle who has the potential to develop into Batgirl. As for Robin, there won't be any Robins for a while, probably two seasons before one of their debuts (while most don't want to constantly see Dick Grayson as Robin again, if they're introducing Robin without having introduced Dick as Nightwing before that, then that Robin must be Dick Grayson.

7. rrulez

rrulez New Member

I've been rewatching some of the older batman cartoons (the Bruce Timm stuff) and if BTB is anything like it I'd be happy. I love the way they depict Batmans character and even if people are tired of bringing back Dick Grayson as Robin, he's always been my favorite incarnation so I certainly wouldn't mind. Are people tired of the Grayson model simply because he's used so often? Or is there another reason do you think? I've grown up on his Teen Titans character so I guess I'm a bit attached.

8. Nightwing26

Nightwing26 Active Member

I agree with you there, Dick is my favourite, and I grew up watching Teen Titans and The Batman. Now, Nightwing is my favourite character, of like anything. However, most people are tired of his character because he's been in every show that includes Batman (which makes perfect sense to me, Dick is just as much of a classic character as Batman, I mean 2014 is Batman's 75th anniversary, and 2015 is Dick Grayson's 75th).

As for Batman, I like his characterization, but I prefer what he was like in Young Justice. Anyways, this Batman is going to be different. Beware the Batman is going to focus on how much he cares or doesn't care (depends on how you see it) about his body. I don't think this Batman is going to be the extreme one where he will give up anything for the sake of the mission. He's probably not going to be super-focused on his war-on-crime as other iterations of Batman have been, as this is a children's show. I think this Batman is going to be a combination of the Newb-Batman and the YJ Batman (so even though he still has a deep voice and scares criminals and all that stuff, he still cares about people, instead of pushing them away he holds them close so he help them or vice versa).

9. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I kinda hope we don't see Robin in the series at all. I'd much rather they concern themselves with the villain anyway. With Alfred around, it will hopefully feel like the Nolan films relationship between them.

10. Hordesman

Hordesman slashor

I still think elseworlds.missed out by not ever having a robin start as Anarky.

11. I_Spyral

I_Spyral Moonrider

Yeah I'm okay with no Robin. Ideally I'd like to have Damian Wayne, but it probably wouldn't work for numerous reasons.

12. AvengersFan

AvengersFan New Member

I'm really intrigued with the show, I wonder who Bethany Ravenclaw is and who she may become, I also can't wait to see how they will tone-down Pyg.

13. The Talon

The Talon Active Member

So, no rogue's gallery and no Robins. This is a pretty odd way to go about making a Batman cartoon imo.

14. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought the last name and the hints about her personality from Cree Summer made it a bit obvious she might be Magpie. But who knows?

We still have it. We just have the lesser-known members of the gallery.

15. AvengersFan

AvengersFan New Member

Despite the producers saying the villains in the series will be lesser-known we'll still get Ra's Al Ghul who is a pretty well known bad guy, I think it would be clever to later add Talia to the plot as she would be a great parallel and rival to Katana.

16. I_Spyral

I_Spyral Moonrider

Fine by me. It's weird that the Batman cartoons that are meant to be adaptations are going to try to do something more fresh and original than the comics. I'm not just trying to make a dig at the comics, but normally you expect the source material to be churning out the new ideas.

17. The Talon

The Talon Active Member

Eh, I don't know. It's like making a Superman show where Lex Luthor never shows up, & instead we get Parasite & Mr. Mxyzptlk.

But I do like how the show will be focusing more on the "World's Greatest Detective" part of Batman more than the previous shows have.

18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Alternatively, think of it this way Talon. The show is centered around a younger Batman who's just started out so it's likely his more famous enemies haven't even been 'created' yet. I think I said it before here, but I think it would be cool for Jack Napier to have a recurring role then later down the line have him become the Joker. B:TAS and B:TB&TB both started out Year 10, he exists, done. I would like them to try a straight origin leading up to the botched Ace Chemical robbery.

19. I_Spyral

I_Spyral Moonrider

Honestly I wouldn't have a problem with that either, though Anarky and Pyg and co. are way more interesting than Parasite and Mxy.

I understand what you mean though, it does make the show feel odd for taking out things that you expect in all iterations of Batman, but I guess for me that's part of the excitement. I've just gotten tired of Joker and the usual rogues personally. Though I wouldn't mind seeing Bane, more in line with the TDKR version.

IMO the best Joker should have no origin story, like in the Dark Knight where he's just this force of nature that came out of nowhere.

20. The Talon

The Talon Active Member

To be honest, I'd be content if it was just that Joker never showed up. But saying that Riddler or Penguin won't appear just confuses me. Batman's imo, the superhero with the greatest rouge's gallery, so to say that you're focusing more on the obscure villains is just kinda weird to me.

Though, the "Batman's villains haven't been formed yet since he hasn't Batman for that long" does make sense to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.