Beware The Batman "Fall" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Feb 18, 2014.

?

Rate and Comment on this "Beware The Batman" Episode!

1. *****

55.6%
  2. ****1/2

22.2%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

22.2%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

Discuss this Beware The Batman episode, making its debut on the Beware The Batman - Season One, Part One: Shadows of Gotham home video release (DVD/Blu-ray Talkback)!

[​IMG]
    Beware The Batman
    Episode #13 "Fall"
    Original Airdate - February 18th, 2014 (Home Video Release)

With the might of the League of Assassins behind him, Ra’s Al Ghul comes to Gotham and steals the Ion Cortex for his own use. And even Batman is powerless to stop him.

Comments?

2. Hordesman

Hordesman slashor

I loved the use of flashbacks because in the end, it was Alfred having to take his own advice.

3. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme

An excellent episode and a great way to end the first half! It was great seeing most of the threads of the season coming together. Ra's al Ghul sounded a bit different from how regal he usually sounds, and more like a pulp series villain, which worked fine. He proved to be a great threat for Batman. If I had to be nitpicky, I'm a bit sad he didn't call him "Detective".

The flashbacks were interesting and it was nice to have Alfred's character fleshed out for once. Though him killing Tatsu's father in self-defense is an interesting twist, I doubt they'll actually go there, since we didn't see the specifics before Alfred ran away. I do wonder if death via the Soultaker will be a permanent thing or will there be something that would allow souls to return to their bodies.

In the grand tradition of action shows that get cancelled, we ended on a massive cliffhanger. It makes the following episode title, "Darkness", make a lot of sense. I also see this as an opportunity for someone like Anarky to thrive. We shall see.

4. webmonkey44

webmonkey44 Member

so why is the dvd marked part 1 one then.

5. Ed Liu

Ed Liu Grumpy Gorilla

I think this final episode was easily one of the best in the series (even if I have the vague sense that the Ion Cortex is more scientifically implausible than it needs to be). I love how they're borrowing elements of the comics and the live-action movies in their depiction of Ra's al-Ghul, though we don't seem to have a direct answer to why he was in that glass coffin in "Sacrifice" or what they needed to do to get him out of it. Personally, I suspect something with the Soultaker Sword related to the incident in the first flashback in this episode, which is also why he didn't show up in Gotham until after Lady Shiva had the Soultaker in her possession. If my guess is right about that, then it also suggests that the Soultaker's reversal spell is real and known, and maybe things aren't quite as hopeless as they seem for Bethanie Ravenscroft or Jason Burr (and possibly even Katana's father).

Speaking of which, I wonder where they're going with the revelations of those flashbacks, and what it means for Katana and Alfred's relationship. Need to chew on that more.

It's also in keeping with the quiet, organic development of the series that Batman and Katana work together like clockwork during the truck chase and the assault on the power plant, considering how relatively recently in show terms they came together and the conflicts they had in working styles even as recently as "Sacrifice." Cool stuff.

Latest news is still that episodes 14-26 are nearly done, if not done already by now. There's always the possibility that WB won't release them in any form, but I doubt that will happen. Regardless of how I feel about their tendency towards corporate dysfunction, the investment in those episodes has already been made. At this point, not releasing them is essentially throwing away money and I don't think the bean-counters will allow that kind of thing.

I wonder if this show wouldn't do better as a DTV release rather than something aired on TV. Drop 'em all on discs and iTunes, you could even follow the same "DVD to stores, Blu-ray to Warner Archive" strategy, and see what happens. Increasingly, I wonder about the viability of the existing business models for action cartoons on TV, and the rise of live-action series that are going direct to destinations other than TV make me wonder when someone's going to do the math and figure out how to make that work for animation. Unfortunately, right this very minute, the only corporate entity that seems to have the ability and inclination to make that happen would be Disney.

6. the_joker

the_joker Member

Very good episode. There could've been a more concrete explanation of Ra's Al Ghul's resurrection though, and I'm guessing the soultaker sword helped with that.

Also didn't expect Batman to take the beating he did. Wasn't expecting Batman to win since the League has tough opponents, but I didn't think he'd be captured here. He'll get out with help from Alfred's advices I'm guessing, or maybe with help?

Flashbacks were definitely great in here. Young Bruce seems quite aggressive (?), or at least more so than other versions I've seen outside of comics. Alfred was supposedly supposed to have a more active role in this show compared to other incarnations, and he still wasn't that active for the most part. Maybe this episode or event will move him in that direction.

7. M.O.D.O.K.

I re-watched the episode recently, and just noticed the Batcomputer working on the reversal spell, even mentioning that it will conveniently download it to Batman's cowl when its complete. Though I have the feeling that Edogawa didn't die by Soultaker Sword.

I've always enjoyed that, though Batman has some things to teach Katana about, they both have different and effective methods. It creates for a very different relationship between them, instead of re-hashing the same dynamic with any of the Robins or Batgirls.

We usually don't have young Bruce explored much sometime after the death of his parents in animation. The only other time was briefly in Brave and the Bold's "Chill of the Night", in the recreation of the candlelight oath. In both cases, it is unsettling seeing a kid like that act like Batman.

8. Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk New Member

Just watched this. What a great episode. Ras Al Ghul worked well. There was no mention of him being 600 years old or so, and I wonder if this angle is not going to be a part of this version of Ras. I never liked the immortal aspect, so I wouldn't mind.

The flashbacks were very welcome, as its interesting to see Bruce's past. This version was different, because we've never seen Alfred in this role of being a trainer for young Bruce.

Those evergreen trees covered in snow looked really good. I felt that the animation in this show progressively improved over the course of the season.

There's much to look forward to, assuming that the rest of the series will be released to DVD. How will Batman stop Ras Al Ghul? When will Gordon fully accept Batman? Will Barbara ever become Batgirl? Will the souls be released from the Soultaker Sword? What will become of Tatsu's and Jason's relationship?

9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

Great 13th episode. I love that the League of Assassins have been sort of cemented as generational threat with the flashback revealing Alfred went after them. Interesting way to use the flashbacks to show how Alfred came to be responsible for two. But yeah, maybe 14 will explain more on Ra's and obviously his overall plan. That fight was brutal. But driving Alfred's lesson to home.

Maybe it was just me, but when Bruce got the criminal with the brick, I thought he was Jack Napier. lol. :D Another funny moment was the Batcomputer taking "offense" to Batman's comment about the reversal spell.

Edit: A few more things. Pretty cool they connected the Soul Taker to the Scythians - basically ancient Iranian tribes. The Icarus reference was a pretty cool way to frame things - Batman not acknowledging his limits like Icarus and manifested as Batman gliding around the Batcave and getting his butt kicked by Ra's.

10. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Atom Ant... Man Staff Member

Great episode, probably my favorite from this 13 episodes batch. A good introduction to Ra's al Ghul (though some details on his resurrection haven't been revealed yet), some really great flashbacks, surprisingly enough not really about Bruce Wayne but rather Alfred, and as usual some good fight scenes - pretty brutal, actually considering the way Ra's took care of Batman. I like how the direction the show is going isn't that obvious, since it leads to some neat surprises, and takes time to build some future story-lines. It'll be interesting to see how things will work out, and more revelations regarding both Ra's and Alfred's pasts.

Also, a great cliffhanger ending. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long until the next episodes pop up somewhere.

11. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Beware the Batman reaches the halfway point tonight on Toonami!

Synopsis: While still under the control of Cypher, Jason Burr steals the Ion Cortex to give to the League of Assassins, but although Tatsu believes that Jason is not in control of himself, Bruce is convinced that Dr. Burr has turned evil.

Enjoy this episode tonight at 2.5AM! Only Toonami!

And this brings us to the end of the old thread bumps. Expect new threads starting next week.

12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator Staff Member

So it looks like Thomas Wayne is, at least in part, the reason Alfred is so formal with Bruce's name or at least is in the future. I also have to wonder why exactly he'd need to hide from Mrs. Wayne/Martha :p.

Anthony Ruivivar doing Thomas was neat, and Jason Marsden did a good job as a young Bruce Wayne... though I did find it a little odd that Bruce didn't seem that different even before his parents were murdered. He still seemed to have that aloofness and innate curiosity that characterizes him in the rest of the flashbacks and the present, along with maturity that seems out of place at his age. I would never have been able to tell that the flashback with the thugs was after the Waynes' murder until Bruce had mentioned it.

I guess that flashback is the closest we'll get to hearing "Master Bruce" in the show, even if it's with "Master Wayne" :sweat:.

The Alfred flashbacks were nice, and it was interesting to see him back in his agent days and how he came to become connected with both Bruce and Tatsu. It was also cool to see his first attempts at training Bruce and how that connected to the story in the present :).

I'm surprised Batman wasn't able to tell from the recording that Cypher was controlling Jason. No wonder Ra's isn't calling him "Detective" yet ;).

Speaking of, Lance Reddick's performance for Ra's was certainly not what I was expecting and different from the type of performance that I'm used to for Ra's. Not that it's bad, not at all, and I'd definitely say it's an interesting take on him. Felt a little anticlimactic to just see him in the present day after we last saw him in that capsule, but the fight with Batman made up for it. Looking forward to seeing the truth behind his "resurrection," his motivations for shrouding Gotham in Darkness, and hopefully eventually calling Batman "Detective" :D.

Boy did Ra's dominate during that fight with Batman... his strength looks superhuman :eek:.

Poor Jason :(.

13. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

Not my favorite episode. I loved all the flashbacks, but the present stuff mostly didn't work for me, for some reason. *shrugs*

14. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

I thought that this episode was pretty good. I liked the flashbacks since it provided a bit more insight into Alfred's past. Young Bruce was a lot different than I expected. Even before his parents were murdered, he seemed like a young Batman rather than a kid. I couldn't even tell that the thugs attacking them was after his parents died since he acted basically the same. I thought that the action was pretty good. There was some nice team work with Katana and Batman that showed how their partnership has grown a bit.

I kind of figured that Jason was still under Cypher's control given the green eyes and how he wouldn't have joined the League otherwise. I felt pretty bad for him with his soul being taken, but since the Bat computer was working on a reverse chant for the sword, maybe he'll be brought back later on. I also liked Ra's al Ghul's fight with Batman. He was a lot stronger than I thought he would, even though I was confused as to how he could be revived this quickly. They'll probably explain that later. I wasn't expecting him to introduce the idea that Alfred killed Katana's father. It's obvious that he wouldn't, as I don't think that the show would go down that route, but it's still an interesting conflict. Overall, it was a pretty good episode.

15. M.O.D.O.K.

Re-watching this, it did seem weird that Batman didn't pick up on controlled Jason's glowing green eyes. I didn't even understand why they'd be that way, since he didn't have them when he interacted with Tatsu in "Instinct".

16. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

I think that he only started to have green eyes at the end of that episode. I don't recall his eyes being like that earlier at least.

17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator Staff Member

I seem to recall that there was a close-up of his face during his video that showed his eyes and they were Cypher green, so that's why I thought it was off that Batman didn't figure it out. I guess he could've assumed it was an effect from the video instead :shrug:.

As for why Jason didn't have them in Instinct, it could be the case that Cypher's not in control all the time and only effects Jason when he needs to. Despite his outburst at Tatsu earlier in the episode, he seemed completely back to normal later so I imagine Cypher was resting within Jason's mind until he felt he need to act. I guess it depends on how aware Jason was of what Cypher was doing when the latter was using the former's body.

Now that I think about it, with Jason in the Soultaker sword, what does that mean for Cypher?

18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

lol, Frontier. But spot on.

Totally, he wasn't even trying against Batman - maybe just messing with him. I wonder what it's from - an unexpected benefit from using the Lazarus Pit also these years?

Yeah. I'm wondering if this counter chant will just release the souls or will it return the souls to their bodies?

19. M.O.D.O.K.

Exactly. There's a big difference between the two.

20. Mister Mayhem

Mister Mayhem Active Member

Cohorts,

decent episode. i'm a little surprised alfred didn't attempt to save batman along with katana and just left him. i also thought batman would try to find a way to beat ghul after remembering that line to overcome his limits but he seemed like he was still trying the same tactics. its possible he's not really knocked out and is simply playing possum until the time is right but who knows.