1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Best/Worst pre-2008 Marvel movies?

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Daikun, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Before Marvel founded their own studio and started work on Iron Man and their eventual Cinematic Universe, the Marvel characters were (and still somewhat are) languishing in licensing limbo by multiple studios.

Lucasfilm started the trend with Howard the Duck. Fox got the bulk of them including X-Men, The Fantastic Four, Daredevil, and Elektra. Universal got The Hulk. New Line Cinema (now Warner Bros.) got Blade. Finally, Sony got Spider-Man and Ghost Rider.

Since these characters were handled by different teams and different studios and Marvel didn't have much of a grasp on their films like they do now, these films fluctuated wildly in quality. So what would you say are the best and worst pre-Marvel Studios films? (I'm well aware that Fox and Sony still have a handle on a few Marvel characters, so I'm going to stop at 2008, since that year ended Marvel's "Wild West" for licensing their characters.)

EDIT: Movies I forgot/didn't know about and had to be reminded of via later comments:

Man-Thing
    Men in Black (Created by Malibu Comics, which was later bought by Marvel.)
    The Punisher (1989 and 2004 versions)
    Captain America (1979 and 1990 versions)

#1 Daikun, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  2. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

Best: X-Men and X2, Spider-Man 1 and 2, Blade I and II, Fantastic Four 2005 and Rise of the Silver Surfer and Daredevil
    Worst: X-Men: The Last Stand and Spider-Man 3
    So bad it's good: Elektra and Blade: Trinity
    So okay it's average: Hulk

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    #2 AdrenalineRush1996, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  3. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I cosign AdRush statements. With the exception of "Hulk" which I still like. I haven't seen X-Men Last Stand yet, but hear I should keep it that way. I think the 1st Fantastic Four film was okay, but the 2nd sucked. The 1st Ghost Rider is so bad it's good too, haven't seen the 2nd one, but it was after 2008 anyway.

Also, I believe Man-Thing came out in 2005. I haven't seen that either.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

4. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

The first Blade is pretty good. I haven't seen the second one in forever but something tells me I didn't like it since I only have the one on DVD.

I like the first 2 Spider-Mans, I think everyone's opinion on 3 is as poor as Parker's dancing. XD

Men in Black are technically Marvel since Malibu was acquired in 1994. I think their movies are great, though I never read the comics to compare them. I think Sony still has the rights to the films, unless Disney is using them as some kind of bargaining chip.

5. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Best: Raimi Spider-Man trilogy. It still holds up, and has more heart and character-driven story than even most modern CBMs. My family watches the trilogy almost every year.

Worst: Oh boy. A lot to choose from. The first Hulk film was deathly boring, Fantastic Four: Rise of Silver Surfer wrecked almost every single character in it, and Daredevil is even worse now that the Netflix show is out.

Note that I have yet to watch the Blade films, Man-Thing, or Elektra.

6. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Best: X-Men, Spider-Man, X2: X-Men United, Spider-Man 2

Decent/Underrated: Daredevil, Fantastic Four, X-Men: The Last Stand, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, Spider-Man 3

Worst: Hulk, Elektra

I think both the X-Men and Spider-Man trilogies started well and while their third movies stumbled a bit, they aren't nearly as bad the worst superhero movies. For me, Elektra is one of those movies that took what worked from Daredevil, a decent yet flawed movie, and left it on the cutting room floor. Hulk wasn't much better to me, yet it wasn't terrible. Fantastic Four was almost in my worst list, but it was really just a meh. Rise of the Silver Surfer definitely made improvements even though it wasn't that great.

Note: Haven't seen the Blade trilogy or Ghost Rider

• Like Like x 1
  7. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

I admit there are quite a few Marvel films I haven't seen. I haven't seen any of the terrible pre Blade movies, nor even the original Blade. And though sans War Zone and Ghost Rider 2 I've seen all the post Iron man marvel movies in som form did never check out Blade Trinity, Ghost Rider or Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer. Still that's... 10 overall of like the 30+ Marvel movies. And of the dozen before the MCU my best and worst would be

BEST: X-Men: The Last Stand.... yeah I know I know but quite honestly a lot of the movies from that time either have scenes I feel make the movie majorly drag (the first two X-Men get that way for me IMHO) or have some kind of cringy/irritating moments I can't get into. Yeah Spider Man by Sam Ramni is probably the overall most solid trilogy but even not counting Harry Amnesia and the dance scene from Spider Man 3, there was the Watson parents being abusive and Norman Osbourn having dinner with the Parkers in the first and all the Mary Jane and her boyfriend and the long period of Peter Parker giving up spider man from the second that I'm not so much a fan of. So honestly in terms of a movie I was invested in the action and the story all the way through... it has to be The Last Stand. It did feel like it had a bit better balance then the other X-Men movies of giving others then Wolverine some screen time like Ice Man and Storm got to show off better and Beast was cool and honestly I liked the idea of the cure being the main source of the conflict. And yeah the Dark Phoenix wasn't too well handled but... at least it felt like a tremendiously powerful force you weren't sure how the team was going to stop and at least it felt like the villains were naturally joining up compared to what we got in Spider Man 3. It's not my favorite X-Men movie but honestly after Deadpool, Days of Future Past, Logan and First Class it might be 5. Apocalypse may in some ways be better but other ways isn't and honestly I can excuse the flaws of a comic book movie from a decade ago more then the ones from a year ago. But that still won't excuse the flaws of...

WORST: Elektra: You know Hulk may of been teeth grindingly boring at parts but there was still a unique style to it and it feels like something worth remembering. What exactly is worth remembering about Elektra other then "this was seriously the last comic book movie with a female lead as the official title star under Woman Woman" so... really hope the Gal Gadot film at least is leagues better then this. Also has to be the lamest story for a super hero movie ever: there's this kid with mystic powers that you have to guard Elektra.... that's really what they gave one of the most well known and deadly assassins of the marvel world as her own story? Just weak weak sauce all around.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Rydberger

Rydberger New Member

You should definitely watch the Ghost Rider movie to add to the list of 'the worse'...

• Informative Informative x 1