1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Ben 10 (2016 Series)" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by Gold Guy, Jun 8, 2015.

1. gunleon

gunleon MPXToonInferno

First two episodes already aired in Australia. So here's my first impressions video on it.

tl;dr It's not that bad at all and I got used to the new designs and voice almost immediately. My only gripe is the show being completely episodic with no overarching plot and that each episode is only 11-minutes long.

2. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

CN NL will air new episodes of the Ben 10 reboot in December:

05/12 Riding the Storm Out
    06/12 The Clocktopus
    07/12 Growing Pains
    08/12 Shhh!
    09/12 Brief Career of Lucky Girl
    12/12 Adventures in Babysitting
    13/12 Steam is the Word
    14/12 Need for Speed
    15/12 Cutting Corners
    16/12 Don't Let the Bass Drop

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Ben 10 Fan

Ben 10 Fan New Member

Cool from what website is this?

4. Ben 10 Fan

Ben 10 Fan New Member

5. Red Arrow :D

I get the Dutch schedules via email. You can find the full schedules in the international news thread.

6. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

Wonderful. Exactly what I was expecting.

7. CNFan1995

CNFan1995 Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Toonami Fan.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Suffice it to say, some of these new voices will take some getting used to :sweat:.

With all due respect to David Kaye, I'm genuinely shocked they didn't get Paul Eiding back as Grandpa Max. Especially if they got Tara Strong back as Ben o_O.

9. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

At the very least it looks like Ben and Gwen get along much better than in the original series, so if you don't have the annoying bickering, that is one plus, that is one thing I didn't like about the old series. At least that is a plus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, it was so weird to hear a different voice for Grandpa Max. Getting Tara Strong back as Ben isn't too shocking when she was in Omniverse, but I was sure that Grandpa Max could keep his voice actor if they got Gwen's original voice actor back. Also, Heatblast sounds way younger than I expected. He almost sounds like Will Fredile, but I don't think that's him.

Well, they were still bickering over the video game clip, but it doesn't seem to be at least as often if the clips are any indication. I don't think that makes up for stuff like Ben not sure how to confront bank robbers because he doesn't know what Heatblast's motivation is though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

As long as it too often and like almost every scene like in the original, than okay. I don't mind a little bickering, Amethyst and Pearl in the early episodes of Steven Universe bickered, they had the right balance to not make you think they were against each other.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #391 zoombie, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  12. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It also helped that both Pearl and Amethyst didn't act like little kids as Ben and Gwen did in the original series.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Yeah letting the robbers go because he couldn't think of the motivation does paint the new series in a negative view. It's something I'd expect from TTG.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The animation style reminds me a lot of Be Cool Scooby-Doo, but the way they seem to be handling the plotting and actual Superhero stuff feels like TTG!, and even like Be Cool as well to some degree.

That being said, I think the designs for the villains wouldn't feel that out of place in the older Ben 10 shows.

15. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought of TTG during that scene as well. Admittedly, I don't think it's quite as bad as some of the humor in TTG can be. It might actually fit a bit more with Ben than with the Teen Titans to act that way. He's a ten year old kid who was just suddenly given powers and only really liked the idea of fighting bad guys. He's not really into the hero role to help people, but to have fun with it and because beating up bad guys as different aliens is cool. It still doesn't really paint him in a good light to be that self-centered to the point where his lack of motivation resulted in the robbers getting away, but I have an easier time buying that than the Teen Titans becoming selfish jerks who really shouldn't be considered superheroes in TTG.

16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

As selfish and egocentric as the original Ben could be, I don't think he was only a hero just because he liked the idea of it, but because he genuinely wanted to help people.

Even one of his first scenes in "And Then There Were 10" was trying to save a kid from Cash and JT's bullying, and after getting the Omnitrix he outright said he could use it to really help people.

Obviously because of how young he is he gets carried away sometimes and uses his abilities for his own desires, but I think he's always genuinely wanted to do good and stop bad guys, even if that's often lost with his attention-seeking and petty moments.

Of course I doubt any of that will matter in a Ben 10 cartoon that's very much emphasizing comedy :sweat:.

17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I can see where you're coming from there and there were times where Ben did seem interested in wanting to help people. I just think that he was into the idea of being a superhero because of how cool it was more than anything else due to his normal demeanor. To be fair, it probably also doesn't help that the last few series has had Ben with a huge ego, which made it harder to believe that Ben actually cared about saving people at that point, so that probably does impact my view on his character in that regard.

The series does seem much more focused on comedy than the other ones were, so I don't know if we'll see Ben actually wanting to save people here.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

After seeing a clip, the animation style still looks amazing and so does remind me of Be Cool, Scooby-Doo! and the comedy/humor is like Teen Titans Go!I'll still look at it when they show it.

Grandpa Max's 2016 reboot design is great, nice that he doesn't have the black fox eyes from Ben 10: Omniverse.

I like 2016 Reboot Kid Gwen which she's nicer/caring and not a grouchy insufferable know-it-all brat from the original Ben 10 series which I'm glad:D.

I love Dr. Animo's 2016 reboot design, I'll see Vilgax, Kid Kevin, and the rest of the villains' new reboot designs though.

The new voices for Kid Gwen, Grandpa Max, Diamondhead, Four Arms, and Hex, David Kaye/Roger Craig Smith as Grandpa Max/Diamondhead, awesome, I'll miss Grandpa Max's original voice from the awesome Paul Eiding.

#398 Radical, Oct 8, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  19. Red Arrow :D

I've seen some of it and it is basically like the original. Sometimes they get along, sometimes they don't seem to like each other.

20. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Yeah at least Ben has an excuse for acting like a brat. In TTG I think we'd have a better series focusing on the bad guys since they act with more conscious than the Titans do.
    Yeah the lack of heart is gonna really hurt the show.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1