"Believe" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by CoolEric158, Mar 10, 2014.

1. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 God Bless America!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Tonight is the series premiere of Gravity director, Alfonso Cuaron's debut in television with NBC's Believe. Focusing on a young girl with supernatural powers, she is being protected by a group of people, including a death row inmate who try to protect her from those who try to use her powers for evil.

Let me say that this is my most anticipated midseason show of the season. Cuaron and Abrams? How can I say no? Hopefully it'll live up to the hype.

Episode 1.01: Pilot

2. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING

I should note that tonight's episode is a special airing at 10 PM Eastern. The show will settle into its normal timeslot this Sunday at 9 PM.

3. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 God Bless America!

After seeing the pilot, I thought it was good...but it could have been better. My main issue is that the villains don't seem to be all that compelling or interesting. And I thought Tate was pretty annoying essentially playing the "I don't want to work with my partner, but then we make a great team." trope, which works for a movie, but repeating the same thing each episode will get old fast.

But, the good does outweigh the bad. I thought Bo and Tate did play off each other really well, and the writing for Bo was good, since she does seem to act like...well a kid. And the "case-of-the-week with a story arc" this seems to be going for sounds promising. Overall, I'll still watch the rest of the series until it ends, but I hope it improves.

4. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

The problem with a premise like this is that it needs more than one episode to get out of its awkward phase. In fact, it needs several, so they better hope NBC doesn't cancel prematurely. Of course the villains are stock; there was no time to flesh them out in any way. So was whatsisface in Pigeon Poop Hideout; we know next to nothing about him. We don't even know why he likes pigeon poop.

Why a death row inmate would be the best candidate to protect her would have been the biggest ??? of all if they hadn't explained it with that little twist toward the end. Some people said they saw it coming. I didn't, but I'm grateful they didn't try to drag it out or everyone would have known.

One big problem...."Believe" is a stupid title. Belief, by definition, is holding hope that something is true when there is not enough evidence to declare it fact. How does that apply to the situation here? We saw her powers with our own eyes. What is left to be believed?

5. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING

[​IMG][​IMG]

A new episode airs tonight at 9 PM Eastern

Episode 1.02: "Beginner's Luck"

6. Peter Paltridge

This one was better, now that all the pesky character introductions are out of the way. It's much harder to hide now than it was when the Fugitive and the Hulk were running around, and they've used this well to keep the chase tight.

I'm sure some people thought Tate was a complete jerk, given the way he talks to a ten-year-old, but the guy came from jail and he won't change overnight. I should enjoy this show, for however long I have it.

7. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING

[​IMG][​IMG]

Episode 1.03: "Origin"

8. Peter Paltridge

So far I can't find much this show is doing wrong. It's fast-paced, it's ambiguous which side is right, the "sap" the bad promos promised is nearly nonexistent, and it knows better than to drag out any mystery where you can clearly guess the answer. Compare this with its competition Resurrection on ABC, which is built entirely on "we won't tell you anything except drop tiny little hints from time to time and gradually point toward something which may or may not be something we make up at that point." (There was probably a shorter way to write that sentence. I don't care, I'm tired.)

This show deserves a better fate than the one it'll probably get.

9. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING

[​IMG][​IMG]

Episode 1.04: "Defection"

10. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING

[​IMG][​IMG]

Episode 1.05: "White Noise"

11. Peter Paltridge

I really appreciate how this show respects your intelligence. There was no dramatic reveal of the mole in the current "bad guy's" headquarters. Just one subtle scene at the end where the look on the assistant's face implied it was her, and the speech by the bad guy implied he suspected her.

12. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING

[​IMG][​IMG]

Episode 1.06: "Sinking"

13. Peter Paltridge

So now Tate knows the truth. He should stop treating her like garbage right about.....now.

And Bo really didn't know either, which was surprising.

14. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Trickin' N Treatin'

If he goes by his own dad's example, it might not happen that easily.

That telepathy works in vague ways.

15. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING

[​IMG][​IMG]

Episode 1.07: "Bang and Blame"

16. Peter Paltridge

So. My NBC affiliate is running a local basketball game instead of Believe. It's not that it isn't popular -- they've done this to some of their biggest programs. Blazers always come first even when they pathetically lose and aren't worth watching. They did this to Chuck so many times and I hated them for it.

The only silver lining here is that the game has run into overtime, meaning if it gets pushed into the 10PM hour, they JUST MIGHT broadcast Believe later. As in, 2 in the morning three days from now. However, if the game ends BEFORE 10, a "Reguarly scheduled programming" card pops up and even a fraction of Believe airs, they won't run it in full.

Ten minutes to go. This is a nail-biter.

17. Peter Paltridge

WELL BLOODY HELL!

Oh, and there's another game scheduled for next week.

18. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING

[​IMG][​IMG]

Episode 1.08: "Together"

19. Peter Paltridge

The Blazers didn't wrap it up with the Rockets on Wednesday and consequently Grimm is getting bumped to 2:07 AM the following day. They didn't show the unaired Believe from last week and if the Blazers fail again tonight (yikes, how humiliating will it be to blow a 3-1 lead) the show won't appear this Sunday either. Then the following week Rosemary's Baby airs instead so that would make it an entire month since Believe ever aired in Portland.

Tonight's going to be a tense game.

20. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING

[​IMG][​IMG]

Episode 1.09: "Prodigy"