1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Battle of the Animated Movies

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by James Harvey, May 10, 2001.

1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

We got Shrek, Atlantis, Osmosis Jones, and Final Fantasy all hoping to be the top animated movie of the summer. How do you think these movies will do. Here are my predicitons of these four main animated movies:

Shrek: $100 - 125 million

Atlantis: $150 - 175 million

Osmosis Jones: $35 - 60 million

Final Fantasy: $75 - 90 million

What are your thoughts and opinions?

2. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

The projected numbers for Final Fantasy rather surprises me. This movie has been anticipated for quite some time, and the game has a huge following. It adds to an already existing franchise that will bring fans of the game to the theater who may not be fans of animation as a whole, and animation fans who aren't game players (which includes me!) will also be drawn to the movie, so I think this could wind up doing better than expected. However, a lot depends on how this is marketed. We've seen great animated movies in the past marketed wrong and just nose dive at the box office.

The numbers for Atlantis also surprise me. As much as I hope that this movie succeeds beyond Disney's wildest imagination, I doubt it will. Too many American's are like Pavlov's Dog and will only respond well when they see the musical numbers in a Disney animated feature. I'd be more willing to bet that this movie will wind up doing Titan AE level dollars at the box office.

Shrek will do well, I think, and will perhaps pull in the most dollars for a Dreamworks animated movie. This marketing for this one is great, but still I am surprised by those I talk to who still don't know much about this one.

Osmossis Jones will be one I will see, but it will be the dog of the summer. I think the projections for this one are adequately accurate. There are a lot of people who just hate Chris Rock and won't see anything he is in. Which is too bad for those who refuse to watch Nurse Betty for that reason, a great movie in every regard.

I am looking forward to seeing all four, personally, and hope that all are great.

3. killercroc

killercroc Active Member

I've seen trailers for all but Osmosis Jones, and they all look really cool. I dunno about how much they'll gross, but I do know that I'll be seeing them all in a movie theater this summer.

4. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Whyyyyy'sis heead so biiiiiig?

What worries me about Final Fantasy is that people will consider it to be "just a video game movie." A movie critic I know is already expecting it to be bad simply because it's based on a game... a bias I think will be widespread, considering most video game movies have been pretty bad. Also, I think FF's intensively introspective tendancies may scare away die-hard action fans. The trailers I've seen seem to point to a large amount of navel-gazing... don't get me wrong, I like the philisophical stuff, but many more don't.

Atlantis... I'm not sure about this one. Disney is doing a good job of advertising it, and people I've talked to are glad that they're doing a film that's so vastly different from formula. Still, it's got a PG... I wonder how that will affect overprotective parents?

Shrek will probably do darn good, at least as well as Chicken Run. Dreamworks seems to be pushing it.

Osmosis Jones will probably be last of the four... once again, WB doesn't know how to advertise what they've got.

5. Mr. Obsession

Mr. Obsession Active Member

While I don't really have a clue as to how much they gross (and I do plan to see them all) a lot of it will depend on when their released and what else is out there.

Shrek will probably do the best. Alantis could do well but may end up being another Emperors New Grove or Titan AE. Final Fantasy is what I'll call the "wild card," it has the potential to do well but because of the rep game based movies have, who knows. Besides doesn't it have to gross at least $90 mil just to break even? And of no matter how good (or bad, I have no idea on this one) Osmosis Jones is, it'll probably bomb.

6. RockItShipper

RockItShipper Master of Flying Guillotine

I saw an ad for a animated movie about a swan opening today. But it's a very unlikely contender for big business, I'm guessing

7. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Trumpet of the Swan

That movie, originally for direct-to-video, is having a limited release to cash in on the fact that there's no new kiddie cartoons. That movie has gotten essentially nothing but bad reviews. It's only out for a week before coming to video in the summer. Back to the big ones, I think alot of people will dismiss Final Fantasy as just another movie based on a game and that will lead to the semi-okay gross, but it will hit it's stride in video/DVD. I plan to see it. The graphics are beautiful and the lead character looks just astonishing. It could hit $100 but I dunno. Disney is realizing they aren't the only company that can do animated features...

8. Man of Steel

Man of Steel The strongest man alive!!!!

Hey:

I honestly can't wait for Final Fantasy to come in theaters this summer, I am such a die hard fan of the Final Fantasy series on playstation especially Final Fantasy 8 which is the best Final Fantasy so far, but anyways I think that the movie will do quite well, considering that SquareSoft can make a very good game into a very good movie, so I think that Final Fantasy will do quite well.

Shrek, i don't really want to see this movie cause to me it looks kinda stupid, but I might rent it when it comes out on video.

Alantas, looks like it will be one wild movie considering that Diseny made the movie, and I defently give Diseny a hand for doing such a great job in there animation, I think there animation in the movies is the best.

And the other movie I don't know anything about since I haven't heard anything or seen anything. So the movies I can't wait for are Final Fantasy, and Alantas, those are two movies that look like they will smash the box office.:D

9. Vigo Sprax

Vigo Sprax Member

I'm a little worried about Final Fantasy, a writer on IGN pointed out a few things a while back. For one, this movie takes place in Earth's future - none of the FF games have limited themselves to our world, all take place in an alternate world. Second is product placements, this movie is supposed to have several large ones including AT&T. I really hope the movie is good, I'll be seeing it when it comes out (As many of my friends will) and I'll probably buy it on DVD since it will be the first with PS2 only features.

Also, its not really fair to say the game is based on a Video Game, thats like saying Final Fantasy 8 is based on 7 etc...