1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Batman: Year One" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, Apr 12, 2005.

?

Rate "Batman: Year One"

1. *****

60.9%
  2. ****1/2

21.7%
  3. ****

17.4%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Robin

Robin Guest

I think what really drives this story, and why Batman Begins seems so much like "Year-One," is because the story reminds us that he's a character motivated by what he's lost, and that loss makes him the character we enjoy. And I think this is something alot of creators lose site off these days. They depict him as a relentless, grim monomaniac who's beyond human emotion and cares little outside of the odd glimmer of emoting. The reason that Batman has endured all these decades is that in the entire DC Universe, he is the most human. He's always prepared to win because he knows what it means to lose. That's the impression I got from the new movie and from this book.

2. sdp

sdp miscrave

you know, i think i'm one of the few people, but i just didn't enjoy Year One that much, i don't know if i was expecting too much or if i had already read/seen different interpretations of YO already that i liked better but when i read it it was ok, nothing too special and nothing i would really recommend.

3. Scorpio_G

Scorpio_G I dont look like that, really

Ok, you guys probably get this question all the time. Oh and if you didnt read the book then uhh dont read this but.

Thanks! :)

4. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Telling it like it is

That Barbara was his wife. His "daughter" Barbara is actually his niece whom he will later adopt.

As for Essen, she and Gordon eventually marry.

5. Scorpio_G

Scorpio_G I dont look like that, really

Oh, cool. Thanks. :)

6. James Meeley

James Meeley Member

And, just for further information, Essen dies at the end of the "No Man's Land" saga. So, she is currently deceased.

7. Robin

Robin Guest

I thought that scene was pretty harrowing, and it's a shame DC dropped the ball on it. The subpar art and the failure to follow-up on it really took some power away from it. There's such a great moment between Gordon and Jim, and also a pretty twisted scene with the Joker after Gordon plugs some bullets into his kneecaps. Of course, in every appearance since then, Joker doesn't even acknowledge the crippling side-effects of said wounds. It didn't help that Damion Scott's subpar artwork ruin the entire atmosphere of the scene.

8. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

Whatever happened to David Mazzuchelli? Great story I'm about halfway through now. Deserving of the hype. Fantastic stuff.

9. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Brief bio of Mazzuchelli. In short, his time on DC and Marvel was the anomaly, since he's mostly done work for smaller-press indies and more of the art-house side of the comics house since his successes at Batman: Year One and Daredevil: Born Again.

He adapted a Japanese folktale for one of Art Spiegelman's Little Lit books, which was pretty neat, and his adaptation of Paul Auster's City of Glass was wicked cool even if I wasn't ever really sure what the heck anybody was talking about in it.

-- Ed

10. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

You know, with the money that it costs to buy TPBs, would it be too much to ask for the companies to include the original covers? I mean, seriously, just at the back or before each issue. The artist and colorist spent a lot of time making them, and if its a collection, it should include the complete issue as originall published. Sorry, on a rant there, since the B:YO TPB I was reading didn't have the covers. Almost done. Worthy of the hype, I must say.

11. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

With the new Batman: Year One animated feature now available (Blu-ray/DVD, Feature), there is no better time to discuss the source material!

BATMAN: YEAR ONE

[​IMG]

Written by: Frank Miller
    Art and Cover by: David Mazzuchelli

One of the most important and critically acclaimed Batman adventures ever — written by Frank Miller (Batman: The Dark Knight Returns) with art by David Mazzuchelli (Daredevil) — returns! A young Bruce Wayne has spent his adolescence and early adulthood, traveling the world so he could hone his body and mind into the perfect fighting and investigative machine. But now as he returns to Gotham City, he must find a way to focus his passion and bring justice to his city. Retracing Batman's first attempts to fight injustice as a costumed vigilante, we watch as he chooses a guise of a giant bat, creates an early bond with a young Lieutenant James Gordon, inadvertently plays a role in the birth of Catwoman, and helps to bring down a corrupt political system that infests Gotham.

Comments? What are your thoughts? Does the source material still hold up

Related Discussion:
    Batman: Year Two Graphic Novel Talkback (Spoilers)
    Nightwing: Year One Graphic Novel Talkback (Spoilers)
    Batgirl: Year One Graphic Novel Talkback (Spoilers)
    Robin: Year One Graphic Novel Talkback (Spoilers)

12. Ed Liu

Bumping this thread to point out that there's a new edition of this classic work coming out soon, but Dave Mazzucchelli doesn't want you to buy it:

The reasons why (and they all sound pretty dumb and avoidable) in the link above.

The first deluxe edition HC was the one that made me fall hard out of love with Chip Kidd's book designs, but the book itself was a fantastic reprinting of the material. No idea why they wouldn't just keep that one in print forever.

13. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

he forgot a 4th reason (maybe the most important), why would someone want to spend more on the new printing than buy the cheaper old printing (even if it's just a 5 dollar difference).

old printing:
    http://dccomics.com/dccomics/graphic_novels/?gn=2712

new printing:
    http://dccomics.com/dccomics/graphic_novels/?gn=20989

looks exactly the same except the price and the gripes mazzucchelli has. i have reader copies and a near mint set of the individual issues, i wont ever need to buy batman: year one in a collected form. although i think i would be interested in an absolute batman: year one hardcover, which doesn't yet exist for some reason. it's more than worthy of the absolute treatment.

14. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So, believe it or not, I read Year One for the very first time the other night. It was actually brought on by the fact I recently picked up the 1989 Catwoman mini-series. A couple parts left me confused, but then I read online that the story grew out of and essentially ran parallel to Year One, and had bits that crossed over with it, so I figured it was time to finally read it. And I really, really enjoyed it. I suppose this has since been retconned as a result of the recent Year Zero storyline in the New 52? Regardless, it's definitely one of my favorite Batman stories I've ever read.

It left me wanting a sequel showing Batman and Joker's first encounter that is hinted at in the final scenes. Was there ever any kind of follow-up depicting that or was it simply just a tease? A Year Two perhaps?

I've also added the animated movie to my Netflix queue to check out since I've heard it's a pretty good adaptation.

15. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

Batman: Year One was "followed up" by Batman: Year Two. There is also a Batman: Year Three (which takes place in the present after the death of Jason Todd, but flashes back to "year three" which is the time period Bruce takes Dick Grayson in, trains him to be Robin, and makes his debut). The first arc of Legends Of The Dark Knight also runs semi-before, semi-during, and semi-after Batman: Year One. Both that and the Catwoman mini series are good companions to Batman: Year One. I would consider the "actual" follow up to Batman: Year One (when specific to the Joker tease at the end) is Batman: The Man Who Laughs where the Joker's plan is to poison the water supply, and supposedly be his first appearance.

I think this might be pretty useful if you're thinking of where to go next: (the descriptions/summary of these stories include spoilers)
    ...TheBatSquad.net...

16. Ed Liu

I believe Ed Brubaker's Batman: The Man Who Laughs is the follow-up to Batman: Year One depicting the true first encounter between Batman and the Joker. By then, I was growing tired of the endless origin story-ing (and am even more tired of it now) so I've never read it, but I hear it's very good. There were Batman: Year Two and Batman: Year Three comics (as well as spinoffs like Robin: Year One and Batgirl: Year One), but Batman: Year Two was totally idiotic (not aided by Todd McFarlane's art in issues 2-4 managing to undermine the script at numerous moments) and Batgirl: Year One was OK but not anywhere near as groundbreaking as Batman: Year One. Haven't read any of the others; see above comment about "getting tired of endless revamped origin stories" for why.

IMO, the movie is a superb adaptation of the comic, but sometimes that is to the movie's detriment. I thought they did a much better job adapting Batman: The Dark Knight Returns because they stayed more faithful to its spirit rather than adhering strictly to its letter. But I LOVED Bryan Cranston as Jim Gordon, giving him the exact voice I've been hearing in my head for years reading the book.

EDIT: Seems rggkjg1 and I were posting at the same time...

17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I've always been interested in reading The Man Who Laughs, and seeing a more modern re-telling of Batman and Joker's first encounter in comic form. I'll definitely be on the lookout for it :).

I've also heard good things about both Batgirl: Year One and Robin: Year One, which both happen to share a writer and artist, and have been interested in checking them out. I'm fine with origin revamps so long as they're told well and enjoyable to read, which is why I don't mind them which was part of the reason I felt Zero Year justified itself and proved to be a great read :D.

18. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll definitely check out The Man Who Laughs as soon as I can. :)

19. darkdetective

darkdetective Former TZ Reporter/Reviewer

The Long Halloween and Dark Victory are both great companions, I think, continuing the mob storyline. One telling The origin of two-face and the other the origin of Robin. Robin: Year One picks up soon after Dark Victory.

Edit: Batman and the Monster Men and Batman and the Mad Monk both were written to be in between Batman Year One and The Man Who Laughs.