1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

batman: year one (i just finished reading it)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by oranthal, May 6, 2001.

1. oranthal

oranthal Superman: A hero in life and in death

i actually borrowed this from the library believe it or not. anyways, great story and great art. the art really compliments the story very well; it has sort of a realisitic look as opposed to art you see in typical comics today. i have a few questions though:

1) i kind of got the feeling that gordon knew bruce was batman at the end. was that frank miller's intention or did i read this wrong?

2) gordon had a son. where is he now? is he in the batman continuity at all?

3) gordon gave essen a bracelet. was it supposed to be a way of gordon saying, "sorry, i can't see you anymore"?

thanks.

2. I like Year-One a lot too. And I too first borrowed it (and The Dark Knight Returns) from the library. They had a lot of cool GN there.
    As for your questions:

1) I don't know, if Gordon knows Batman is Bruce Wayne at the end. It was left up in the air. But, judging from the depiction of Gordon as sharp and capable, I think he knows.

2) I don't know where the son went after the GN, I don't think he shows up later. I think the reason Miller gave Gordon a son, instead of, or before Barbara (also his wifes name in the GN) is so that in the final chapter there is added tension. Because the son is not featured in later stories, it's conceivable that he could die. If baby Barbara was the one in jeopardy, there would be no concern, because we know Barbara grows up to become Batgirl.

3) Gordon had already given Essen the bracelet, when he broke things off with her, he just wanted her to keep it. I think it was symbolic. He wanted to show Essen that he still loved her, though they couldn't be together anymore.:(

3. Clayface

Clayface Molecularly Malleable Mod

Gordon's son is still alive, just estranged. He has not shown up in the comics, though there has been some talk lately that he may be making an appearance in the mainstream comics soon.

4. Samhaine

Samhaine Time To Relax

Joker mentioned the son at the end of No Man's Land. That's when, ah, I'll give spoiler space just for kicks....

That's the last time I remember him being mentioned.

Also, Gordon eventually married Essen, and she was even Commisioner for awhile. She's not in the comics anymore.

To answer your first question, I don't think he knew back then, but he almost definately knows now. He hasn't said it outright yet, but he has hinted at it to Bruce's bodyguard and also during No Man's Land.

5. watsonlives

watsonlives Gimme a kiss!!!!

essen died during no mans land