"Batman vs. Two-Face (Batman '66)" Animated Movie News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WebMasterSage

WebMasterSage Obey the Pecking Order.

The Amusing thing is Shatner is coming to my Con this weekend & I'm gonna ask him about what's it's like voicing Two-Face.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

NYCC panel news October 8
    Batman vs. Two-Face

When: 10:30 AM - 12:15 PM
    Where: Main Stage 1-D
    Who: William Shatner, Burt Ward, James Tucker, Michael Jelenic, Rick Morales

Be amongst the first audience to see Batman vs. Two-Face, the highly anticipated sequel to the 2016 hit animated film Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders. Batman vs. Two-Face finds Batman and Robin back in classic 1960s action, protecting Gotham City from some of the most nefarious villains in comics history. But when the mutilated master of multiplicity, Two-Face, begins staging a daring crime wave across Gotham, the Caped Crusaders must work double-time to discover his mysterious secret identity before they can halt his evil-doing – all the while combating the likes of Catwoman, Joker, Riddler, Penguin, Bookworm, Hugo Strange and King Tut! The late Adam West leads the star-studded cast in his final performance as Batman – playing opposite fellow pop culture icon William Shatner (Star Trek) as the criminally conflicted Harvey Dent/Two-Face, and alongside his longtime pal Burt Ward, supplying more “holy” fun as the Boy Wonder himself, Robin. See the film, then stay for an action-packed panel comprised of Shatner and Ward with the filmmaking team of supervising producer/co-screenwriter James Tucker (Teen Titans: The Judas Contract), producer/co-screenwriter Michael Jelenic (Teen Titans Go!) and director Rick Morales (Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders). TV Guide Magazine senior writer Damian Holbrook will moderate the fun. Warner Bros. Home entertainment brings Batman vs. Two-Face to Digital on October 10, 2017, and Blu-ray Combo Pack and DVD on October 17, 2017.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

A minor update - though expect clips and EPK material in the coming weeks - the iTunes menu for Batman vs. Two-Face can be seen below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  4. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

On the (near) horizon: lines permitting, barring something really horrible happening, I expect to be at the Batman vs. Two-Face NYCC event this Sunday morning. Hoping for some fun Burt Ward anecdotes.

• Like Like x 4
  5. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

Sneak peek time

• Like Like x 5
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Heh, some flirting going on between Joker and Dr. Quinzel I see :p.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. atomicbattery

atomicbattery Member

The tone looks pitch-perfect- this is what happens when you have creative people who understand and appreciate the ‘66 Batman (as opposed to, say, ‘Batman and Robin’).
    Thanks to Michael Jelenic and particularly James Tucker!
    I enjoy that these films don’t just aim to recreate the original series, but give us something new.
    The first juxtaposed the Adam West Batman with the grim ‘n gritty Batman that became the dominant version in the 1980’s and through today.
    And this one- as Tucker just explained at the NYCC panel- takes a look at a Bruce Wayne friendship/relationship (with Harvey Dent) outside of the Dick, Alfred, Harriet, Gordon core, something that was never really explored on the show.
    Can’t wait!

• Like Like x 3
  8. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

• Like Like x 2
  9. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Brief impressions from the Batman v. Two-Face screening:

• The camp levels and earnest, absurd dialogue are as good as the first movie and do not disappoint. Obviously the Dyanmic Duo gets the best of it, but Catwoman and Aunt Harriet get some good material too.
    • The baddies from the first return, but the highlight non-Two Face bad guy is King Tut. The first real caper of the movie involves him and this is the part most like something from Caped Crusaders.
    • Other Bat-Villains appear and are as fun as ever, but Two-Face is the mastermind driving the plot and the story is driven by that. Hugo Strange and his "evil extractor" factor in, though Strange himself doesn't get much time (this is fine, IMO).
    • A major angle to the film is the friendship between Bruce Wayne and Harvey Dent. This gives the movie its "serious" edge, as Bruce isn't just fighting to solve a mystery and stop evil and deal with an insane plot. He's fighting for a friend, and a friend he doesn't want to stop believing in - all the more so with the super good, super nice, super campy 66 Batman.
    • Batman and Catwoman have great chemistry and a lot of flirting in this. It makes for a nice B plot (C plot?)
    • Another B plot involves Dick Grayson maybe being just a little jealous of Harvey and his claims to being Bruce's "best friend". This factors into the narrative in multiple ways.
    • Nothing can top the glory that is MAYOR BATMAN. But there are some good twists, and also death traps. Listen up, the death traps are very important. You have to have some.
    • There are a lot of sight gags, we are at Simpsons level for goofy signs that are maybe on the screen for a second or two. Rewatch it and catch them all!
    • At NYCC this was called "camp noir" and I think that's kind of right, but with an emphasis on camp. Have no fear, they didn't lose the fun. It's not "dark". But I think there's some drama and conflict not related to fists that people will enjoy.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #149 GWOtaku, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  10. atomicbattery

atomicbattery Member

Thanks for that great review, GWOtaku!
    John Rocha and David Griffin from Collider have a review up on YouTube, they are also enormously positive about ‘Batman vs. Two-Face’.

• Like Like x 2
  11. ObserveCreative11

ObserveCreative11 New Member

Easily, one of the best scenes in the “Batman vs. Two-Face” DTV (it’s why he will always remain the most human and understanding Batman of all time)!

Honestly, I loved this project. Mr. West gave a great final performance in this one and so did Mr. Shatner as Harvey.

The story was quite entertaining and the humor was spot on (the only thing that sort of bugged me was the inclusion of Harley Quinn, which I feel is unnecessary since Mr. West is no longer with us and any potential tease for another 1966’ Batman without his involvement seems rather pointless to me).

So, let’s discuss this one. I feel like in terms of voice over work, it worked better than the previous 1966 DTV and overall it felt more exciting and thrilling, even though this one has less references to the past iterations and adventures of the Dynamic Duo in ‘66 universe.

12. James Harvey

The official talkback for Batman vs. Two-Face is now live! Please discussion of the fim over there, though this thread will remain open and spoiler-free until the film's physical media release on Oct. 17.

13. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

Well, your complaint isn't entirely fair as Mr. West was still with us when the movie was made and the producers doubtless were hopeful that he would still be around and up for voicing Batman for a few more years. In any case, Dr. Quinn is a cute cameo that doesn't need to lead anywhere.

I probably won't see Batman vs. Two-Face myself until the Blu-ray release. But I'll be following the discussions in the talkback thread and might even have something to add to the conversation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. 2010GT4.6V8

2010GT4.6V8 New Member

neat vid batman is a cad LOL he could given her a peck on the lips... jimini christmas!

I am really looking forward to this! Adam West's last performance. It should be great! He will be missed. I first watched the Classic Batman sitting with my father in 1966 and I loved it. I'm 53 now. While the show is so campy I still like to watch it...I hope they make more even with Mr. West is with God. There are those that can do the voice and it would be a disservice to him and the rest of the remaining cast to not make any more. My 2cents

Mod Note: Double Post merged. Please use the Edit button instead of posting twice or more in a row.

#154 2010GT4.6V8, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
  15. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

16. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

DC All Access has excerpts from the NYCC interviews with the cast and crew of the movie:

17. James Harvey

Just a note on the video above: There are some potentially huge spoilers in there, so view at your own risk.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Summary of movie and panel from NYCC. Minor spoilers.

Mod Note: The movie is released, so this thread is closed! Move all discussion to the official talkback thread!

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.