"Batman vs Two-Face" Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Oct 10, 2017.

?

Rate and Discuss "Batman vs. Two-Face"

1. *****

22.2%
  2. ****1/2

33.3%
  3. ****

33.3%
  4. ***1/2

11.1%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Batman and Robin face double the trouble in this all-new animated movie based on the classic TV series!

[​IMG]

Batman vs. Two-Face
    Studio: Warner Bros. Animation
    Release Date: October 10, 2017 - Digital; October 17 - Blu-ray/DVD

Synopsis: As the sequel to the 2016 hit animated film Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders, Batman vs. Two-Face finds Batman and Robin back in classic 1960s action, protecting Gotham City from some of the most nefarious villains in comics history. But when the mutilated master of multiplicity, Two-Face, begins staging a daring crime wave across Gotham, the Caped Crusaders must work double-time to discover his mysterious secret identity before they can halt his evil-doing – all the while combating the likes of Catwoman, Joker, Riddler, Penguin, Bookworm, Hugo Strange and King Tut!

The late Adam West leads the star-studded cast in his final performance as Batman. The beloved actor delivers an inspired turn opposite fellow pop culture icon William Shatner (Star Trek) as the criminally conflicted Harvey Dent/Two-Face. The cast also boasts two more pop culture icons of the 1960s. Burt Ward is back for more “holy” fun as the Boy Wonder himself, Robin, and Tony Award winner Julie Newmar reprises her role as the fiendish feline, Catwoman. The voice cast includes Jeff Bergman (Joker, Bookworm, Desmond Dumas), Sirena Irwin (Dr. Quinzel), Thomas Lennon (Chief O’Hara), Lee Meriwether (Lucilee Diamond), William Salyers (Penguin), Lynne Marie Stewart (Aunt Harriet), Jim Ward (Hugo Strange, Commissioner Gordon), Steven Weber (Alfred, Two-Face henchmen) and Wally Wingert (Riddler, King Tut).

The core Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders filmmaking team reprises their roles for Batman vs. Two-Face. Rick Morales (LEGO DC Comics Super Heroes – Justice League: Cosmic Clash) directs from a script by Michael Jelenic (Teen Titans Go!) and James Tucker (Teen Titans: The Judas Contract). Tucker and Jelenic and also Supervising Producer and Producer, respectively. Sam Register is Executive Producer. Benjamin Melniker and Michael Uslan are Executive Producers.

Batman vs. Two-Face Enhanced Content includes:
    -“The Wonderful World of Burt Ward” (featurette) – Spotlighting Burt Ward’s life away from acting – particularly his many benevolent activities, and his lifelong devotion to the health and welfare of dogs.
    -Adam West Tribute Panel/2017 Comic-Con International 2017 – At the 2017 Comic-Con International in San Diego, a panel celebrated the life and times of the late Adam West, the legendary “Bright Knight.” Fans laughed, cried and cheered as actress Lee Meriwether (Catwoman from the 1966 Batman movie), director/writer/actor Kevin Smith, actor/radio personality Ralph Garman, producer James Tucker and moderator Gary Miereanu captivated the audience with anecdotes and tales about Adam West.
    -Actors Burt Ward and Julie Newmar discussing various aspects of their lives, ambitions and inspirations.

Discuss the Batman vs. Two-Face animated release here!

Please note this talkback is for both the Batman vs. Two-Face animated feature and home video release. Discussion for both are now housed in one single talkback discussion thread.

Related News:
    -Batman vs. Two-Face Subsite (Spoilers)
    -Batman vs. Two-Face Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: The 1960s Classic TV Series Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: The 1966 Movie Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman '66 Comic Series Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: The Complete Television Series Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Talkback (Spoilers)

Note: Remember, we appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

I'm surprised no one has commented on this yet. I thought it was a great movie, maybe even better than the first one. I loved the whole "camp noir" feel to it. It's a pretty fitting send off to Adam West and I even got a little teary-eyed at the dedication at the end of the movie. I could barely keep myself together when I watched the Comic-Con panel that was in the extras when they were telling stories about him. It's a really good movie and I do wish we were getting more after this one but this is also a good place to end the series too. Nice and open ended with a little bit of a finale feeling to it. I like how it gave a closer look to Batman and Robin's relationship but also gave us hope that things will work between Batman and Catwoman. I thought the animation was even better than the first one and thought Shatner did a really good job as Harvey Dent. His Two-Face voice was also great. This is probably my favorite Batman animated movie of the year.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think I liked this one more than its prequel. The pacing felt better, and the story was pretty intriguing. I liked this take on both Harvey Dent and Two-Face. He's a character that never appeared on the 60s live-action show, and even if would have appeared I kind of doubt they would have tried out a story quite like this. It was slightly darker than the style usually associated with 60s Batman but it still had is fair share of humorous and silly stuff, and it worked surprisingly well.

The focus on the friendship between Bruce Wayne and Dent was handled pretty well, and it's something not that many other cartoons have depicted. The partnership between Batman and Robin is also used effectively. Catwoman's scenes are good, and I appreciate they didn't spend too much time with her character, but still got the romantic sub-plot across. Similarly, I liked the bigger roles for the likes of King Tut and Bookworm, instead of going with bigger names like Joker and Penguin again.

All in all, a pretty great movie. It's tragic this is the last time Adam West could voice Batman but this is a good farewell performance. I also felt the dedications at the end were touching. Even more so after those crazy credits showing the characters dancing. The rest of the cast was fine as well, and William Shatner did a great job voice acting here.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 2010GT4.6V8

2010GT4.6V8 New Member

YAY! can't wait!

5. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has released a new clip from Batman vs. Two-Face, promoting the film's physical media release. Check it out below.

What are your thoughts on this new Batman movie?

• Like Like x 2
  6. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

This was a better film than Batman and Harley Quinn, although in terms of recent Batman DTVs I still prefer "The Killing Joke". Still, it was a nice tribute to Adam West and it was bittersweet knowing this is the last time we'll hear him in a new production.

Random thoughts:
    -The climax reminded me of "Batman Begins". I wonder if that was intentional.
    -I didn't think Julie Newmar was able to mask her age as well as the three leads. But damn the Catwoman design was fine.
    -I kinda wish the soundtrack would've emulated the sound of the old '66 series a bit more, it would've rounded out the package.
    -Loved the characterization of Batman in this movie, very much fitting with the '66 version.
    This especially comes out in the climax when he risks his own life to save Harvey Dent.
    -Similarly, I like how the VAs who played the regular villains (Riddler, Penguin, Joker, etc.) emulated the '66 actors instead of the modern incarnations.
    -The "strapped to the giant coin" sequence was probably the most memorable in the film for me, even if variants have been done before.
    Speaking of that scene, was this the first instance in the animated canon of a villain unmasking Batman? It probably isn't, but I'm drawing a blank right now.
    -I wonder how many younger viewers even know who King Tut and Bookworm are.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Orangesilentplanet

Orangesilentplanet New Member

I heard on of the interviews with the producers of the shows, that they had some ideas for doing Poison Ivy and Batgirl. While I'm hesitant for these Batman 66 animated movies to continue on without Adam West, I'm also hesitant to let some of the dropped and other ideas from the producers to go to waste.
    It would be interesting if they had did a bit with the Burt Ward Robin becoming Nightwing.

James

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Not sure about Bookworm, but with the Lego Batman Movie, they'd probably be familiar with King Tut.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Ah, okay, haven't seen Lego Batman Movie.

10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  11. 2010GT4.6V8

2010GT4.6V8 New Member

well I enjoyed the show. It was not as dark as described and Shatner did a great job. They all did. I hope they make more. I know Mr. West has passed but so what plenty of people can do him justice!

12. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

I feel like this came and went a little bit... strange.

I really enjoyed it and felt it was better paced than the first movie. The cast was wonderful, with West and Shatner really impressing overall.

The only thing that really bugged me about these films was the fact that everything takes place at night. Simply didn't feel like Batman '66 at times. It's hard to recapture the magic but they gave it a good go.

RIP Mr West and thanks for all the good times I had watching The Bright Knight.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

More thoughts later probably but definitely felt like, for the lack of better words, 'straight camp' in tone -- as in it was still the campy Batman 66 show but they played it a bit more straighter than the first movie. I haven't sat down to identify it piece-by-piece, but it definitely felt like they slipped in some hints it took place in the late 60s transitioning into the early 70s. I liked how it was more character-driven and you saw a lot more of the interpersonal dynamics explored.

Among the cast from the show - West, Ward, and Newmar were in top form but the new entry, Shatner just owned it as Dent/Two-Face. Really impressive performance.

The extra scene in the special features (of the Blu-ray) was an nice little surprise, even more so when I realized it was a nod to a scene in Mad Love.

But as I was taking the disc out, I realized Hugo Strange silently slinked away almost like Tinkerer in Spider-Man: Homecoming.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

The tone of this movie reminds me of Batman: The Animated Series in that it goes into darker territory, yet is still accessible to a family audience. It's a nice tribute to Adam West. RIP.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Zentron

Zentron Member

I enjoyed this movie, the twists kept on coming and everything felt awesome, a great send off to the legendary Bright Knight, Adam West. RIP